MSD Install While Keeping Orange Box?

-

80fbody

Reaction score
I've got a msd 6al to install in my F-Body as I really want a rev limiter. Would like to install it so I can easily switch back over to the orange box should the msd fail while out on the road. Anyone done this? Any advise??

I'm pretty sure if you read the MDS destructions that they tell you how to do this, and I think it's just plain silly. Adding complications in an effort to make something better hardly ever works. What you basically will have is the original complete Mopar system driving the MSD box. So, what happens if the Mopar system fails?

No, i think you misunderstand me. I don't want to run both at once. I just would like to leave the orange box on the fender and be able swap a wire or two to switch over. I've always kept a spare orange box in the trunk in the past. Not sure I trust the msd without a backup plan in case it fails while I'm on the road.

No, i think you misunderstand me. I don't want to run both at once. I just would like to leave the orange box on the fender and be able swap a wire or two to switch over. I've always kept a spare orange box in the trunk in the past. Not sure I trust the msd without a backup plan in case it fails while I'm on the road.

Ive had the MSD 6a box and billet distributor in my car for over 10 years now. Originally with a 318, now with a 340. Fires up with the flick of the key.

I don't think you are going to have to worry about it failing.

You would have to do some rewiring in order to do this, and probably the easiest would be to come up with some nice weatherproof connectors, so you can unplug one system and plug in the other

What you'll need to break and make

The connectors will have to replug the mopar distributor from the MSD to the Mopar

You'll have to switch the power at the ballast from the MSD to the Mopar. You'll need to leave the ballast in place to make this easier

You'll have to break both coil neg and positive to switch them from the MSD to the Mopar

There are various ways to do so

I would take a completely different approach. I would buy a "ready to run" import dist, a spare coil, and learn how to quickly switch them. "Rig" them so that you can easily connect them "hot wire" fashion. In fact, years ago, I actually had a Mopar dist. with a coil mounted on the side, and a ballast. It was, in fact, a completely integrated ignition in one big piece. You could slam it into an engine, hook up battery power, and have ignition.

Still another approach is what I'm doing now. I have a small box with an HEI module and a coil. You plug it into a mopar breakerless dist. hook up clip leads for ground and battery, and the high V. coil wire, and "you have" ignition

I originally threw this together to test fire some used engines, and then realized "what I had" LOL

Buy a REV-N-NATOR box and mount it right next to the orange box....It uses the same stock plug and also has built in Rev limiter....

I've got a msd 6al to install in my F-Body as I really want a rev limiter. Would like to install it so I can easily switch back over to the orange box should the msd fail while out on the road. Anyone done this? Any advise??

YES! It is a simple thing. Just Install the MSD as per the instructions. When you disconnect the distributor to hook to the MSD, the orange box is dead. I have had terrible luck with the MSD boxes. I have only one good one. I returned many boxes to MSD.

YES! It is a simple thing. Just Install the MSD as per the instructions. When you disconnect the distributor to hook to the MSD, the orange box is dead. I have had terrible luck with the MSD boxes. I have only one good one. I returned many boxes to MSD.

What do you do about switching coil primary wires?

I don't have the instructions handy and it's been a long time since I have driven that car. I ended up dumping the MSD. I went to a FBO set up. Use your head about this matter. Think about it for a while on how to do the set up and ready for a quick swap in A pinch.

I've been running MSD boxes in most of my cars for the last 10 years without any issues. I do keep an extra MSD-6 on hand just in case I have a failure. Maybe it would be most convenient to get yourself a second one if you're committed to an MSD. They show up at swap meets all the time and are usually cheap. Two of the ones I bought were used and both worked great. I know buying used is a crapshoot but if you find one from someone you trust you're likely to be OK.

I've been running MSD boxes in most of my cars for the last 10 years without any issues. I do keep an extra MSD-6 on hand just in case I have a failure. Maybe it would be most convenient to get yourself a second one if you're committed to an MSD. They show up at swap meets all the time and are usually cheap. Two of the ones I bought were used and both worked great. I know buying used is a crapshoot but if you find one from someone you trust you're likely to be OK.

Not only that, you are better off because the old ones were made in USA and usually lasted....The new ones made off-shore are crap

UUhhh, he stated the main reason he wants to do this is for a rev limiter....this does not have a rev limiter

Touché! However I do believe Greg mentioned you can add a rev limiter to his setup. Still worth the upgrade and increase in performance and efficiency and decrease in number of wires running everywhere! But I digress, and will try not to get/stay off topic

Touché! However I do believe Greg mentioned you can add a rev limiter to his setup. Still worth the upgrade and increase in performance and efficiency and decrease in number of wires running everywhere! But I digress, and will try not to get/stay off topic

Yes but that costs more money....I will agree though the HEI system does have a strong spark....For what the poster wants though, which seems to be a Rev Limiter and ease of switching back and forth if one breaks down on the road ( And also said nothing about cost so I assume price isn't a concern).....I said the REV-N-NATOR because one screw out on the plug and screw it in on the other and away you go

-
Back