MSD streetfire problems!

-

JoeDust451

Reaction score
Well i hooked up the streetfire & followed the instructions, checked over things twice, double checked my grounds, made sure the box was grounded, last wire i hooked up was the large red Batt wire, when i touched it too the + terminal it gave off a small spark, i though, this isn't right, so i hook it up & sure enough i get nothing (no fire), so i turned the key too "on" & check for power at the box at the small red wire, its hot, now all this time the little red "light" on the box never comes on, i disconnect the + & - leads & try it again, this time it doesn't throw a spark as i hook it up, but still nothing, there is NO WAY i hooked anything up wrong, never crossed wires accidently, so at this point i'm pist, i know MSD has been haveing quality issues, i'm done with this garbage, i've hooked up at least 4-5 MSD 6ALs over time on other cars i've done & never a problem, WTF!!

So i'm thinking its these micro-boards there useing, i did have a problem with a Procomp dist. that has those boards in it, there junk, i ended up getting one of those "ready too run" dist. that has a "module" type system & it works great.

I was going to have Jegs send me a new one, but what if this other one has problems too, or it doesn't last long, i've decided to send it back for a refund. Whats so upsetting is i was going to try the Procomp 6AL box, but was told you get what you pay for (so i past), doesn't anyone make decent boxes anymore, at this point all i want is a rev limiter, screw all this fancy digital crap.

I know some are probably thinking, why would i be complaining over "one" bad box, well its accually been 3, the other 2 i tried had issues, but they were used, plus a had that GM style (big cap) dist. from Procomp that was junk with that crappy micro-board. Just wanted to vent my frustrations lol.

I've had srious issues with any MSD product except the current one, which isn't the last one I got ethier, it's actually the oldest one. Which has been repared 3 times.

I'll be trying Mallory equipment next. Biggest name in the biz before MSD and still maker of tuns of variations of equipment. As well as OEM surplier for decades.

OH, Mallory makes stuff for Summit. :-$

I'm going to up-grade & try the Mallary Highfire 6AL.

That does suck,I am suprised since Ive used a couple streetfires and so have some guys I know and they have worked fine,I must be lucky because I have never had an issue with msd stuff.I think they all have issues from time to time,back when supershops was around I had to buy my share of replacement mallory parts,I wont buy accel stuff.

That does suck,I am suprised since Ive used a couple streetfires and so have some guys I know and they have worked fine,I must be lucky because I have never had an issue with msd stuff.I think they all have issues from time to time,back when supershops was around I had to buy my share of replacement mallory parts,I wont buy accel stuff.

Yeah it does suck lol, its so frustrating, it seems THIS car does not like any of these boxes, everytime i try one out, its a no go, the last 2 were used, the engine would "spit" trying to fire up, but everytime i'll just put things back to where they were & it fires right up, & i know theres nothing wrong with the cars wireing, i've checked it all, it has good voltage, bulkheads are clean, maybe, just maybe i'll be good too go with the Mallory, all i really want is a limiter, don't care about the extra spark.

I would just buy a limiter,or get a tach with one,might be easier.I know it seems my cars have been cursed about certain things,its hard to make myself believe its an inanmimate object sometimes with some of the stuff they do.

Pertronix has an adjustable digital rev limiter. You can get it on amazon for $123 and shipping is free. It works with factory ignition, not a capacitive discharge system. It's made in the USA and has a 1 year warranty. I've got one I'm about to install. I am tired of MSD for the same reason you are. Hopefully this pertronix deal works out better.

I'm going to give this "one" last shot with the Mallory Highfire 6AL, but its the last.

I have heard of people having problems with MSD boxes. I have a friend that says MSD stands for might suddenly die, refuses to run one,even though he knows they improve low end and millage. I run a old MSD box in my dart and have never had any problems with it but I also have the mopar electronic still on board for a quick change over if needed.

Ok, i installed the Mallory Highfire box today, still "nothing", so i've come to the conclusion its NOT the boxes, its me lol, i must be overlooking something, the only real thing i can think of is where i'm wireing the "small" red wire, does anyone know off hand which ignition wire is "hot" in the run position & key on, is it possible that one of those wires is hot with "key on", but goes to nothing while cranking? This is the only thing i can think could be happening. If i was to run off the ballast wires (mallory says its not neccesary to bypass the ballast), do i hook it too one of the brown wires,or the blue to get 12v?

I just thought I'd update my with my own ignition issue. I tried that pertronix limiter and I never got it to work. I just said the hell with it and returned it. I think I'm going to go with the Mallory Hifire VI (model 685). It has a built in rev limiter, start retard and rpm window switch with spark retard if you're thinking about running nitrous. Anybody have any feedback on it?

I,ve had no issues with my 6AL box in 2 years(with rev limiter pills)Try googleing MSD for proper hookup.

My computer took a dump, so i haven't been able to post in a couple days.

Here's what "might" be the problem, i'm running one of those Wisco "ready to run" distributors, i was told it was a Magnetic trigger like a mopar dizzy, but i don't think it is, so it may need the "white" wire (instead of the violet/green) to run, I'll try it out tomorrow & see.

I hooked it up using the "white" wire this time, it now fires up, but dies right after & spits back through the carb, I'm thinking this distributor is not a magnetic pickup if it wants to run on the white wire, i guess I'll have to call Mallory on this because i don't know if anyone will have any suggestions.

I purchased the MSD Street Fire Box yesterday and wired it up and I have a ProForm electronic dizzy. I got the spark as well on +ve battery terminal. Haven't tried to fire it up yet but will see in a few days...???? I hope I've wired it up correctly..

That "ready to run" chinese distributor (sold under a half dozen names) is not a bad piece. It is basically a built in Pertronix unit, and you must hook it up like a pertronix.

The MSD instruction sheet should show you how to connect it. It is not a mag trigger hookup - yes there is a mag trigger inside, but the chrome cover outside has a circuit board that does the same thing as the Pertronix.

B.

I've just had a round with a Street Fire and have concluded that there is something wrong with my box too. It ran fine on the bottom end, ran ok on the top end, but would spit, sputter and backfire at cruise. I just put the HEI back in and the problem is cured. It's very disheartening because the box cleared up all my exhaust smell, which is obviously a rich mixture issue. I'm kinda thinking that there is a problem with the Rev limiter in mine. I bought mine a year ago and can't return it now. Guess that's what I get for buying parts and putting them on the shelf. Just a comment on not getting yours to power up. If you had a ballist resistor, which I'm sure you did, just use a jumper to bypass it. The ballist drops the voltage below 12v and the boxes won't run. Good luck with yours.

I've just had a round with a Street Fire and have concluded that there is something wrong with my box too. It ran fine on the bottom end, ran ok on the top end, but would spit, sputter and backfire at cruise. I just put the HEI back in and the problem is cured. It's very disheartening because the box cleared up all my exhaust smell, which is obviously a rich mixture issue. I'm kinda thinking that there is a problem with the Rev limiter in mine. I bought mine a year ago and can't return it now. Guess that's what I get for buying parts and putting them on the shelf. Just a comment on not getting yours to power up. If you had a ballist resistor, which I'm sure you did, just use a jumper to bypass it. The ballist drops the voltage below 12v and the boxes won't run. Good luck with yours.

You should have started a new thread. I read the whole damn thing before I realized IT WAS FROM TWENTY TEN!!!

58034235.jpg

-
Back