MSD will not run car HELP

-

amoparacer

Reaction score
started off with running car. Followed instructions MSD6-BTM new wired it as instructions said no spark when cranking. If I disconnect the mag pick up at distributor with key on and jump the purple and green to the MSD I get a spark every time but when I reconnect the Distributor no spark when turning over with key or at relay on fire wall with screw driver jmpr.

have you checked the air gap on the pickup coil inside the distributor?

.008 with a brass feeler gauge...

Funny you ask that. I replaced the pick up 2 weeks ago and its not straight or square to the six sided cant think of what its called. But it was running great with stock ECU. The gap not being square cant really adj to .008 is the MSD more sensitive to the gap than stock.

Well there's something wrong. The pickup is installed wrong, not seated properly. Some of those were riveted to the advance plate, and some "set" in there like a set of points, on top of a small locater nub on the advance plate

I bought 2 pickups at the same time (rockauto). One had an incorrect double-bullet connector and made erratic connections. I had to compare closely to tell. Perhaps your new one from that lot. Does MSD detail which way to connect the two distributor pickup wires? It matters. If not, try it the other way. I doubt anybody but MSD could tell you if their box is pickier about the pickup level, and I doubt they would fess up if it was touchier.

Make sure you are hook to a constant power source. The power source used for the factory coil has two circuits Ing. one and Ing. two. One is 12 volt crank and two is 8 volt run. This could be your problem

Okay well Im moving the battery to the trunk so on the positive lead I attached to the positive large post on the starter relay. The Large ground is directly on battery.

Also the instructions say the red smaller wire connect to the old + coil wire.

I did see on a different page pictures of the ballist resistor but it was part of a points install.

Could not find my MSD blasterII so I do have the stock coil on it for now.

I bought 2 pickups at the same time (rockauto). One had an incorrect double-bullet connector and made erratic connections. I had to compare closely to tell. Perhaps your new one from that lot. Does MSD detail which way to connect the two distributor pickup wires? It matters. If not, try it the other way. I doubt anybody but MSD could tell you if their box is pickier about the pickup level, and I doubt they would fess up if it was touchier.

Says the purple is positive and green is ground so on my pickup positive is White and negative is black

im really suspecting the pick up when you spin the distributor by hand you can't really feel the magnet as it passes the reluctor. As I remember noticing in the past.

If you did not, you should bypass the ballast resistor.

The polarity of the pickup will not prevent spark, it will make it "out of time," google "rotor phasing"

This will cause the spark event to "move" in relation to the rotor in the distributor, will cause erratic running, out of time, and cap/ rotor carbon tracking.

I'd bet money, that the trouble is in the pickup/ distributor. Photo closeups would help. Inspect the rotor/ pickup for rust, debri, and strike damage.

I am NOT aware that I've ever found any Mopar distributors to be improper pickup polarity, that is "for now" I'd wire it exactly as shown in the MSD destructions.

and one more time, google "rotor phasing"

Wire it per the MSD instructions would be my suggestion. It's not right now.

Yup. Sounds like a distributor problem, to me

ANd to the WINNER yes it was and its now out of the car stupid pick up. Maybe I will invest in a nice billet one they look so good and are made in the USA.

Some how I think the MSD could smell the Chinees pick up.:finga::finga::finga:

Thats what she said but it was correct. Mr Crackedback Im hoping your a chiropractor, could be a nasty injury if your not a chiropractor.:newb:

MSD must have changed the wording in their instructions.

Good you got it figured out and running.

ANd to the WINNER yes it was and its now out of the car stupid pick up. Maybe I will invest in a nice billet one they look so good and are made in the USA.

Some how I think the MSD could smell the Chinees pick up.:finga::finga::finga:

So it runs now?

Also, MSD dizzy's use a Ford pickup so if you ever have one give you trouble it's a short trip to your local auto parts.

Okay well today I installed the MSD blasterII coil from my GLHS shelby need to install new engine and tranny in the GLHS so I figuered the coil was up for grabs.

Stupid coil was DOA

Now my car has and Accell crome coil only one they had at the parts store at 900 pm at night.

Any one have MSD blasters go bad its 3 years old but really.

-
Back