muffler placement

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I have proparts headers on my 440. The collector is bit over 12" long the collector reducer is about 6" long... Would it be ok to install muffler after the reducer? Guess im not sure if there is a general rule of thumb for length before muffler?

I think your gonna want to add a bit more length to the pipe Josh.You,ll want your mufflers back under the rear seat area,with tailpipes added or turndowns/turnouts.Think of where your exhaust fumes will exit.:D

I think your gonna want to add a bit more length to the pipe Josh.You,ll want your mufflers back under the rear seat area,with tailpipes added or turndowns/turnouts.Think of where your exhaust fumes will exit.:D

Yes this would start the muffler at about where the transmission meets the driveshaft. Just a reconfiguration I had it mind. Trying to use parts I got on hand.

Just remember if you ever have to remove the trans.,you don,t want to have to remove your complete exhaust to get the trans. out.:D

I would have to do that regardless... BTW how are ya Scott long time no talk.
Most guys would just undo exhaust at the headers and tie them out of the way(not remove complete exhaust)LOL.Anyways,I,m good Josh,just have a ton of stuff to do today.Weather is cold this morning(29*F)Gotta have everything put away for winter days.:D

I would mount mufflers as far away from the collector as possible. The pulse waves traveling down the exhaust pipe from the collector hit the muffler and reflect back up the tube towards the engine and impede scavenging.

If it burns clean and you keep your speed up fumes are not a problem. 3 1/2 with tail pipes and tips. with it mini tubbed.

Attachments

• spoiler pics 801.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 127
  • dus3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 119
-
Back