Muffler question

-

dartkory

Reaction score
So I'm in the market for some new mufflers. I currently have 2 1/2" pipe going back to the 3" 10 series flowmasters but way to tinny sounding for me. So I'm thinking I might try the hooker aero chamber muffler. But my question is: is there any kind of sound difference if I was going to get a 3-3 1/2" muffler rather than the 2 1/2"? I want it to sound deep and loud but still clean and choppy. I didn't know if the 3 1/2 would just sound drowny sounding. Thanks for any help. -kory

The Aeros, a great improvement,over Flows. Was cool sounding in my past,not now.The Aeros,flow better to boot.

Are the hookers as deep and choppy/throaty as the flowmaster 40's? Other than them flowing better what did you like about them?

Flowmasters are "tinny" sounding by nature, especially as your motor air flow increases. They are also not the best flowing (high back pressure) since they are baffled. Personally i think that any straight through glass pack has a better sound and they all have less back pressures than Flowmasters.

In between Flow 40's,and Magnaflows. By choppy/throaty 40 standards,they don't have that "edgy"sound. They take out the high notes,bassiness low tones.The drone, between 1500 and 3000,is gone.Run x pipes,2.5 to 3.0 size,same sound. You might check out Dynomax Ultra Flo's,as well.

Would running the 3" inlet/outlet make it louder or quieter over the 2 1/2" inlet/outlet muffler?

Usually,way louder period.List cam,compression,headers or no. Do you want loud,or suggestively noticeable ?

Motor is a 318 with eddy heads and about 9.5:1 compression. Cam is a comp 275DEH which is around .484/.494 lift. I also have Doug's headers. I don't want something that sounds like someone is just growling in your ear where its so loud it hides the choppiness. But I would like it loud and crisp where the lope is nice and distinctive.

im running a full 3" system with an x pipe and race bullets.if you want deep loud and aggressive then bullets are for you.i actually added a set of home built stainless resonator tips that reduce down to 2.5 to take the edge off the note.they are interchangeable with the piece of 3" tailpipe i removed.most of the time i keep the resonators in place.

3" would be a waist of time & money on your combo. I've ran a 10.78 @ 128 through a full 2 1/2" system using DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers!

Are you guys sure it won't sound raspy or tinny sounding with its straight through design? My exhaust dumps at the axels

Idk what kind of magna flows my shop gave me cause it was a special deal I'd have to climb under and see if I can figure it out but I have a basic 360 duals and dumped at the rear Axel it sounds awesome. No tinny sound really quite on idle but nice deep roar when you put your foot in it. Also its 2 1/2 pipes h crossed

-
Back