Mufflers What Brand??

-

35regal

Reaction score
I HAVE A WARMED UP 340,X HEADS SOLID CAM 244 -252@050 520-540 lift, headman headers 15/8 . im going to use flowtech 3 inch x-pipe system that summit sells, what mufflers should i use, the car is mini-tubbed so i dont think im going to run exh. all the way out , probably dump it over the rear end housing. the cheaper the better, i was looking at summit brand?? or thrush turbo?? what do you guys think??

My son and I installed a Thrush Turbo for which we paid about $22 thinking it a good deal as a replacement for the rotton quiet muffler that was on the car. The car back fired one time when the ignition module went bad and since the body of the muffler is aluminum, it swelled and crimped as can be seen in this photo I took of the axle. It didn't effect the exhausts note that we can tell but I sure don't care for how easily it distorted. I believe we'll go with Flowmaster's when we do eventually install the dual set up. I've never heard anything bad about them.

7.25 rear end.jpg

Im actually going to be buying the new thrush fully welded mufflers http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=WLK-17657 they sound kind of like flowmasters.Ive been searching for quality,the right sound and at the right price and these stood out.I dont know if you care as much about the sound as I do but you can check out you tube and you will find thses and many more,also most muffler maunfactuers have sound bites.

I went with Dynomax ultra flows and am very happy with them. They are made by thrush and also welded. Here is the link complete with sound board.

http://www.dynomax.com/

How loud can it be? I've run the summit glasspacks in both 2 1/2" and 3", no issues with them. My g/f's dakota has run one for a couple years now. No rust, no distortion. And they're cheap! Of course, they're also loud as hell...:-D

I went with Dynomax ultra flows and am very happy with them. They are made by thrush and also welded. Here is the link complete with sound board.

http://www.dynomax.com/

Dynomax products are not made by Thursh. Both are brand names owned by a parent company. Dynomax used to be part of Walker exhaust but Walker is now owned by the same parent company Tenneco.

IMO you can't beat that old standby, Flowmaster. they offer more sizes, styles, inlet and outlet positioning, tube sizes, etc than anybody, plus they work.

I like the flowmaster sound but Force and Thrush welded are both flowmaster copies for $30ea instead of $80.

Dynomax products are not made by Thursh. Both are brand names owned by a parent company. Dynomax used to be part of Walker exhaust but Walker is now owned by the same parent company Tenneco.

I stand corrected.

Dynomax ultra-flos are very nice sounding muffler,i had them on my previous duster..flowmaster are too loud,and no matter what they're on the vehicles all sound the same..

Flowmasters. IMO, the best sound out there. $70 per side won't break the bank - especially when you know what you're getting in quality.

flowmaster are too loud,and no matter what they're on the vehicles all sound the same..
Volume is one thing, but I disagree w/ all cars sounding the same w/ Flowmasters. You can always tell a Chevy/Ford/Mopar apart even if they all have Flowmasters installed.

I got the thrush (non turbo) muffs from Advance.

I just tacked them up to my hedman X-pipe and fired the car off the other day.

They had a nice, deep tone and I was told they are much like flowmaster 40's and the guy that suggested them to me was a big chevy hot rod guy that said I'd be very pleased with them.

When I bought my car it already had a new set of Flowmaster 40s on it. Now when I installed TTIs, X-pipe, and new exhaust I just re-used the 40s. The X-pipe quited down the mufflers a bunch. I couldn't believe it.

Anyways I used to have Super Turbos on my 68 Charger... those sounded good! They are made by Dynomax (I think). Anyone heard those?

I run Hooker Max-flo on mine. I like the sound. They are load especially with a 3" exhaust. But it runs the same ET with the exhaust bolted up or open. I had a 2 1/2" exhaust before with Summit turbo muffs and would lose 3 tenths.

Fred B

Flowmasters. IMO, the best sound out there. $70 per side won't break the bank - especially when you know what you're getting in quality.

well i do agree that they sound mean but have you driven a car with some real power in it with 40series flowmasters and 3"exhaust? im not old i like it loud but the flowmasters are just to much if you have a serious motor, so i dont consider them something that will work everytime:(
i do have some hooker aerochamber and they are much nicer sounding inside the car :)

..flowmaster are too loud,..

Depends on what model you get. I have 50 Series Delta Flos on my 360 powered Barracuda and they have a nice rumble while cruising with no interior resonance, the WOT sound is very authoritative but not objectionable.

The 50 Series Delta Flos aren't even the quietest muffler they offer, there are two series (30 and 70) that are quieter and the 50 Series SUV muffler I had on my Dakota was no louder than stock at cruise and woke up at WOT.

mac mufflers there stainless steel and hand tig welded bout 85$ a each and sound way better than flows lookem up

Thanks Everyone, Ill Do Some Research On Prices, Ill Post Pics Of My Mini Tubbed 67 Cuda In Near Future, It By No Means A Show Car, Just A Weekend Rod.

VOETOM posted this on another thread but I thought it would be great info on choosing a muffler so I posted it on here.

silentpower2.JPG

And people wonder why I recomend the Hooker Aero Chamber for mild to street performance rides................. Db at low RPM's is a low DB to deal with.

I bought summit race mufflers for my 383 Dart.They sound really good like a Flowmaster with out the tinny sound.Kinda like a loud turbo muffler.
Jim

-
Back