Muratic Acid ?

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
What is the mix ratio for muratic acid to clean a gas tank?

Check out this thread for instructions on using muriatic acid and alternate fluids for cleaning rust from gas tanks.
One of the alternates is simply vinegar which is a whole bunch safer than any type of really caustic acid.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Removing_rust_from_a_gas_tank

Caution: Pay close attention to always add acid to water. Not the other way around!
An easy way to remember is do add ingredients alphabetically: A (acid) to W (water).
You run the risk of having the acid blow back in your face if you add water to acid since the water will react violently to strong acid. Adding acid to water results in a much milder initial acid/water solution

Another way to remember is to rhyme: "Do as you oughtter, add acid to water."

Another way is to think of acid as hot and water as cold. If you throw cold water on a hot stove, it boils all over the place. Same if you add cold water to hot acid.

I have used muratic acid in the past but found that SNO Bowl toilet cleaner as it comes mixed in the bottle will sometimes do a better job as it is dilute hydrochloric acid.

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like Vinegar and water is the best way to go.

When cleaning motorcycle gas tanks I always used it full strength and sloshed it around. Wear eye protection, gloves and don't breath the fumes! Works like a charm and a lot of people like to follow with a phosphoric acid wash as it leaves a protective coating.

Be careful and don't dump it out on concrete when your done.

When cleaning motorcycle gas tanks I always used it full strength and sloshed it around. Wear eye protection, gloves and don't breath the fumes! Works like a charm and a lot of people like to follow with a phosphoric acid wash as it leaves a protective coating.

Ok how do I dispose of it?

i hear wood bleach mixed with water works good, start at about 1 teaspoon per gallon and leave overnight.

When cleaning the tank use some marbles, put them in the tank and slosh around this will help break up any loose rust particals, also if you call your local motorcycle dealership they probably have a complete kit to clean and rinse your tank, this is a common problem in our industry. All you need tho is the acid and wash not the cream kit, if your tank is bad enough to have to cream then you should replace it.

When cleaning the tank use some marbles, put them in the tank and slosh around this will help break up any loose rust particals, also if you call your local motorcycle dealership they probably have a complete kit to clean and rinse your tank, this is a common problem in our industry. All you need tho is the acid and wash not the cream kit, if your tank is bad enough to have to cream then you should replace it.

T think the closest motorcycle dealer is Tilley's Harley Davidson I can call to see how much a kit is, will 1 be enough?

That's what Ive been looking for Joe. I am going to do that to the Kawi pretty soon.

Friend of mine cleaned a full size Chevy truck gas tank using muratic acid. He used baking soda to neutralize the acid.

You buy anything from a Harley Davidson dealership you're going pay out the nose!

That's what Ive been looking for Joe. I am going to do that to the Kawi pretty soon.

Friend of mine cleaned a full size Chevy truck gas tank using muratic acid. He used baking soda to neutralize the acid.

You buy anything from a Harley Davidson dealership you're going pay out the nose!

I know. it's 46.00 for a small kit. Think I will hit lowes up.

-
Back