Music today sucks!

-
these were the First speakers I used with that system;

upload_2021-8-24_16-36-25.jpeg

Did I hear technics?
Here's part of what my $6000 got me;
not shown is the $1100 tape deck, the matching 1000 dollar Turntable and very expensive Sony XL55 cartridge., along with
a Second amp; they were only rated 90 watts in stereo...... but 200 in mono, so I had to have dual monos, lol.

View attachment 1715785976
View attachment 1715785977
My main unit.........weighs in about 50 lbs.........is a SA5470, it's a beast with SL12000MK2 turntable and two 42" tall Fisher speakers.
At one time I had about a dozen Technics receiver........but am down to about 4 now with other misc pieces.......8 track players etc.

Yeah that Technics junk is heavy. I took the cover off one of the amps one day, to see if they maybe just bolted some ballast into there, but nope, just two big transformers....... and a lotta lotta other stuff.
I still got the SL1400 MkII
maxresdefault.jpg

upload_2021-8-24_17-29-11.jpeg

I didn't like the Sony much, it was down on base quite a bit. The Equalizer pumped it back up, but I felt bad about doing that. It was also down on output power, but the amp had that covered to.
Eventually, I went back to a magnetic cartridge and rocked the house.
I sold the Bose too. They had the efficiency, but lacked IMO, the clarity I wanted. And I just couldn't get a decent soundstage out of them.
And so I went shopping for speakers again.
Found a system I liked, Infinity Reference something but the $15,000 buy-in was way out of my league. So I started comparing all of the other speakers on my list, to those Infinitys. I was shopping for months.
The Energy 22s came out of left field, not even being on my list.
By now, I was "friends" with nearly every audio salesman in Winnipeg, and one guy turned me on to the 22s. So I demo'ed them back to back in his showroom, with the next Lower Infinities, and was blown away.
They did everything the Infinitys did except; they did lack a good bit of the very bottom of the bottom end, and they were a tad brighter on the top, and they sucked the power..... all of which my new audio equipment was able to overcome.
It would be several years before I felt the need for a subwoofer, which, conveniently, Energy now offered,lol..

I had run across the Fisher line in my travels, I don't recall if I ever gave them a chance. I remember the big Klipsh Corner-horns tho. But too big for my smallish 11 x 13 living room,lol.

Last edited:
I had some Klipsch Heresy speakers in college, they were used for every party. Awesome sound low distortion.

I have no interest in EDM, rap, or so much of today's so called music. Just doesn't do anything for me, when someone pulls up beside me in a vehicle with pounding bass, it tends to piss me off immediately.
There are some really good new artists out there. Listen to this and tell me you can't hear Led Zeppelin, even Robert Plant has said the resemblance is remarkable.

So cover tunes are paint by numbers? What would you call Patsy Cline's version of "Crazy"? Paint by numbers my ***. She took Willie's song to heights it would have never seen.

My 12 year old son comes to me the other day in a disappointed state, he says "Dad, there isn't any good music anymore". After thinking about it, I have to agree, music lately is pretty sad. What has happened to all the bands that could actually play their instruments and write music? I have been very fortunate to see many awesome live concerts of big bands, the talent pool is definitely thinning, and aging. Remember when you could put on a record and play the whole thing!!!! I hope to be able to take my boys to a big concert in the next few years. The remaining bands of senior citizens can still whale on it harder than the majority of young musicians today. Even the boys from Metallica are not spring chickens any longer. I saw them in Edmonton a few years back, sounded better than when I saw them in 95, and 96.

One exception to this I have come across lately is the Black Keys, some pretty solid talent there IMO.

The greatest album of all time , The Who, Who's Next!!! If this is your kind of music, go onto YouTube and look up live Who stuff from 70-77, they were absolutely explosive live. That kind of vibe and energy is non existent today.
As I've been saying for yrs now...If you wanna hear what it sounds like in hell....just turn on the radio.

Some trivia
- one song recorded by the most artists: Willie Nelson’s “Night Life”. 20 or so different artists, from Willie, to Doris Day, to B.B. King to Aretha Franklin, to Ray Price.

- the broadcasted song heard by the most people at one time: “San Antonio Rose”. Astronaut Pete Conrad (3rd man to walk on the moon) was playing it while orbiting the moon, Houston Control let it broadcast, so everyone on earth that was listening to Apollo 12 that morning heard it.

- song sung by the most people: “Happy Birthday to You”. I guess our troops took it everywhere. My German brother in law asked us one time, “Do you know how we sing it in Germany?” We all expected to hear him belt it out in German…nope. He started singing in English - said that’s the way they taught it in school.

As far as covers go, how about ONE song that was in the top 4 for TWO different artists/groups (Proud Mary) and another that seemed to be recorded by EVERYBODY over a short period of time (Heard it Through the Grapevine).

I have no interest in EDM, rap, or so much of today's so called music. Just doesn't do anything for me, when someone pulls up beside me in a vehicle with pounding bass, it tends to piss me off immediately.
There are some really good new artists out there. Listen to this and tell me you can't hear Led Zeppelin, even Robert Plant has said the resemblance is remarkable.

I dont think he meant it in a flattering way. They are talented guys but I think they should find their own sound instead of just copying something that is popular.

I listened and I have no idea what this song is about and somehow I love it dearly. It was probably written on psychedelics is all I can reckon. What strikes me is it has heart and soul, and a magical meaning I'll never quite understand. IMO

This one, along with the Animals House of the Rising Sun, was the first song I remember hitting me like a ton of bricks. I was maybe 7 years old and it came on over the radio in my dad's Mercury. Both of those songs remain favorites of mine to this day.

This live version with orchestra is awesome.

Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale, live in Denmark 2006 - YouTube

This one, along with the Animals House of the Rising Sun, was the first song I remember hitting me like a ton of bricks. I was maybe 7 years old and it came on over the radio in my dad's Mercury. Both of those songs remain favorites of mine to this day.

This live version with orchestra is awesome.

Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale, live in Denmark 2006 - YouTube
Yes, this version of Whiter Shade of Pale is amazing.

For me, the three songs that hit me as a young child and still move me today are:

Dylan, Like a Rolling Stone
The Who, Behind Blue Eyes
The Stones, Gimme Shelter

There are many other favorites of mine, these three stand well above on their own.

On the other hand, this is relatively new and a great remake of a classic song.

That came up as a suggestion for me to listen to. I almost skipped over it but then I thought it might be good for a laugh so I listened. I've always loved the original but: From the opening note I was transfixed with chills running down my spine and my jaw hit the floor. That last verse especially to this day gives me chills. I must have played it 10 times through that evening. Even called my wife in to listen to it. To me, this is one of the best covers I've ever heard. Someone said the original by S & G was the warning. Disturbed's is the anger that the warning was not heeded.

Disturbed "The Sound Of Silence" 03/28/16 | CONAN on TBS - YouTube

back in the glory days it wasn't just one song....whole albums had 10 excellent cuts
Abbey Road
Yessongs
Let it Be
Dark Side of the Moon
...not to mention every groups "best of" album!

back in the glory days it wasn't just one song....whole albums had 10 excellent cuts
Abbey Road
Yessongs
Dark Side of the Moon
...not to mention every groups "best of" album!
True story!

Elvis never wrote any of his songs, but is considered to be the greatest singer of all time. It’s the way the song is sung that makes it special, and I’ve heard some horrible renditions of songs. Covering a song is what most musicians do, simply because they like music too, and like listening to other peoples creations. If it speaks to them, they want to help make it speak to others. I’ve written dozens of songs, and my band has a couple of CD’s, and yet we do cover songs all the time. Why? Because people want to hear songs they recognize, songs that speak to them. Why do you think classic rock is so popular? Despite hearing a song on the radio every day for the past 60 years, they still want to hear it a

-
Back