*MUST READ*--Flex Fan Danger--Be very careful working on old cars

-
As of being released from the hospital he says
I am progressing at a fast rate.

That's great !

I run factory 5 blade flex fans on a bunch a my cars..thinking now about a change.

The blades are all facing the same way except the one on the top right is missing. That what you are seeing shiny there is a wheel trim ring laying behind it. The missing blade is what went into my chest/shoulder and nearly through it cutting the muscle in 1/2 along with 5 tendons and an artery..

That's great !

I run factory 5 blade flex fans on a bunch a my cars..thinking now about a change.

Any fan can do that not just flexes. (like I posted above) and is why checking it for stress cracks just as often as one would check the oil is a really good thing to do. (not that even the people that know that do it)
Probably seen it happed 4 times in my life and not one of those was a flex.
That rule of standing out of the line of fire from broken blades was around a long time before flex fans came out, and I think it originated in the hot rod circles.

The blades are all facing the same way except the one on the top right is missing. That what you are seeing shiny there is a wheel trim ring laying behind it. The missing blade is what went into my chest/shoulder and nearly through it cutting the muscle in 1/2 along with 5 tendons and an artery..
You a very lucky to have survived with that injury. Surely lots of blood lost. Hope you heal soon without permanent damage

Any fan can do that not just flexes. (like I posted above) and is why checking it for stress cracks just as often as one would check the oil is a really good thing to do. (not that even the people that know that do it)
Probably seen it happed 4 times in my life and not one of those was a flex.
That rule of standing out of the line of fire from broken blades was around a long time before flex fans came out, and I think it originated in the hot rod circles.

Yeah..I figured any fan could do that,just thought because of the continuous flexing that they might be more prone to come apart.

Holy Crap!! Chryslerfat, here's hoping you heal quickly and don't have lasting issues.
Man, as bad as it was, it could have been even worse! I'll be checking my factory fans closely.

Yeouch! Glad you're OK, and on the mend. I'd say a lot of folks will be looking a little closer at their fans........including me!

20160422_164712 (Large).jpg
20160422_165415 (Large).jpg
20160422_164748 (Large).jpg
jet.jpg
model t.jpg
Here is the best pic I could get with 1 hand. lol

fan%20001_zps3vdkr3ym.jpg

Hum.
It is as I suspected when I asked for "pictures".
It's a lightweight (inexpensive) old fan.
It broke in an area that is not even part of the "flex".
I also suspect that steel backing which fractured is not good spring steel.
Note the factory flex fan not only has a steel backing there, but a spring steel doubler.
If space is a consideration, there are options if one is willing to sacrifice just a little HP for safety.
Let's not get crazy with our weekend cruisers or daily drivers.
Now all that being said, I'm not standing next to a fan that is spinning perhaps 5000 RPM (previous posting) without some safety precautions.
Or not at all.
From Model Ts to jets.

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/american-767-uncontained-engine-failure.69275/

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/212673.html?1306110639

Last edited:
This may sound a bit twisted but any chance you would post pics of the injury from it? It sometimes takes a visual for people to really get it.

This may sound a bit twisted but any chance you would post pics of the injury from it? It sometimes takes a visual for people to really get it.
The doc just uncovered it for the 1st time today and says it will need another week before he even thinks of taking any stiches. I go white and quesy looking at it. The stiches start just above the right nipple and go up at an outward angle to about 2 inches behind my right shoulder. Not only did he have to put the muscle back together with the 5 tendons but I am missing a piece of my clavical bone that is also broken. The open artery that a nurse held his thumb over was the scariest for me. I would never go under hood with a flex fan again. I was also told today by HR that when my sick time is out in 2 weeks I will be done with pay until I return and they will not allow me to return with any restrictions. I do carry my own long term for 60 months but that dont kick in till 3 months without pay.

Any chance you can file for some unemployment while this gets sorted out? Maybe to tide you thru til you get a better handle. Pullin for you!

Any chance you can file for some unemployment while this gets sorted out? Maybe to tide you thru til you get a better handle. Pullin for you!
No unemployment because you have to be able to work and due to my injury I am not. As always I will find a way to make it through. The real pain is this year spring planting will be all on my young son as I can only tell him what to do and am not able to help due to no use of my right arm.

After reading this I also removed the exact flex fan off a car I'm trying to complete. I hope you recover quickly! I wanted to ask about the plastic flex fans that are being sold at a local speed shop where I live, they are rated up to 8000rpms. I was hope to get the pros and cons of using type of fan?

After reading this I also removed the exact flex fan off a car I'm trying to complete. I hope you recover quickly! I wanted to ask about the plastic flex fans that are being sold at a local speed shop where I live, they are rated up to 8000rpms. I was hope to get the pros and cons of using type of fan?
I might still trust the plastic ones. But would never run a metal heck the one that blew up was stainless with metal riveted on both sides of the stainless and still broke.

Well guys and gals my appt. is in the morning to get the stitches out. They have been in since the 16th.

There were 4 that he was able to cut but could not get out without it wanting to open up. He says those will work there way out he said. The last 10 hurt real bad even on oxycodone he says because of the damage and how tight they had to be pulled to fill the gap. My arm stays tied to my side till the 28th when therapy starts. My next appt. with him is the middle of June to hopefully find when I go back to work because without short term disability I need to get back to getting paid ASAP. They put the butterfly ones over the cut now which he says will fall off on their own when ready. If I feel like it later this week when the gauze pad stays off I may get you guys a pic.

damn wish I was closer. been farmer since way back. glad you are okay. It will work out it always does.

-
Back