*MUST READ*--Flex Fan Danger--Be very careful working on old cars

-

chryslerfat

Reaction score
You could be killed instantly. Saturday I was fine tuning a car and when I reached up to snap the throttle a blade broke off from the fan and hit me about center on my right shoulder knocking me back. I put my hand up to put pressure in it as I noticed I was now leaking pretty good. My girl drove me to E.R. where they took me back quick for a 2 hour surgery. My right arm is now strapped to my stomach for the next 6 weeks while I sit in a chair. Doc says it cut the muscle in 1/2 and 5 tendons along with other damage in a 6 inch long by 1/ inch wide cut. Sorry I did not ask how deep it was. Trying to learn how to use the left hand now.

thanks for the tip, glad you are going to be O.K. curious as to what type of fan and shroud?

It was a flex fan with a plastic shroud. Doc says it was so tore up I could have lost the arm or a few inches over been killed instantly.

Exactly why I always do anything like that from the SIDE. I suspect now you will too. Get well soon.

Sorry to hear, Chryslerfat.
When I was pulling the engine out of my donor car I found a flex fan blade had come off and sliced through the sheet metal. It was still stuck in there. Once I seen that I vowed to never use a flex fan.

Dang, Although you got hurt pretty seriously you should buy a lottery ticket. It could have been much worse.

Glad to hear you're as good as you are! That's scary!!!
A buddy of mine was killed working on his Mopar resto a few years ago. It shifted on the jackstands and pinned him between the car and his motorhome. His wife found him a few hours later when she returned home from shopping.
Be careful out there!

good to hear you are going to be OK. Fans are a danger for sure. Im with RRR, from the side.

It sounds like there is still something left for you to do in this world. Glad you dodged this bullet, now get well!

The Mopar gods we're with you that day Mark!! Glad to hear it wasn't much more serious!! Heal up quick brother, and take it easy for now!!

Wow! Hope you have a full and speedy recovery. I am thinking electric fan for my car. That is really scary!

sounds like quite the adventure

glad to hear you'll be around for the next one too

!!WOW!! There's been times setting "all in" timing I barely warmed the engine then removed the belt

When I was in the Navy at NAS Miramar, some guy came into the hobby shop in a 67? GTO with an axe blade shaped hole through the hood from the inside out. "fan blade." Makes you think

knew a guy that was killed in early 70's trying to find a noise when fan blade went thru his chest killing him instantly

C0-worker working on a Road runner had a flex fan takeout his optic nerve 15 yrs ago...............Now sports a glass eye

I'm just glad you're on the mend. It was a very close call.

Putting my taurus fans on now sooner rather than later. No like flex fans for another good reason. Hope you heal up real fast, glad you didn't get the final ride.

Sorry to hear,an acquaintance had his are severered by one of the older steel flex fan blades,in the 70's. Hopefully ,you heel completely 'Fat.

-
Back