Mustang II suspension

-

hemidart67

1967 dart pro-touring
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just wanted some thoughts or opinions about welding in a mustang II IFS from Heidts into an A body.

I went to their web page and didn't see anything for Mopar a-bodies. For my money, I would go with one of the several proven systems that are commonly used and found on many of the members cars here.

Most custom/aftermarket suspension is based on the mustang 2 suspension. Even the AlterKtion setup. However I'm more interested in the Roadster shop setup which is based off the C6 suspension, hubs and all.

If you haven't already bought the suspension setup you mentioned go with the rms alterKtion setup. A LOT of thumbs up for the RMS setup.

I have not bought any thing yet I was just nosing around on the net and came across a mustang II For $1600 yes it is a weld in front suspension and will fit between the 30 inch frame rails and it narrows track width down to 56.5.I know I would not be disappointed with either The HDS or Alter I was just trying to save a bit of money.

Often times "re-inventing the wheel" to save some $$ has the exact reverse outcome.......

Often times "re-inventing the wheel" to save some $$ has the exact reverse outcome.......

Exactly. You can pay more for something designed for the car and is a direct bolt in or you can spend less for something (up front) that isn't made for your car, then keep spending to get it to work.

I prefer not beating my head against a wall while doing automotive work.

I actually just read Dennys post on weight comparisons and I didn't realize he sells his set up bare and I can buy spindles and such later. hmmmm this has me thinking his setup might be the way to go after all.It does look like a killer piece.

Most custom/aftermarket suspension is based on the mustang 2 suspension. Even the AlterKtion setup

just because the alter-k and hemidenny setups use a mustang II spindle doesn't mean they are "based" on a mustang II suspension. the spindles are only a part of the entire system.

the HDK provides

narrow, adjustable track width (appx 58" hub to hub). Keep those tires tucked in

automotive tie rod end in lieu of heim /rod end w/ modified spidles. More travel and serviceable

one K does all the popular Mopar powerplants...just change HDK/Schumaker spool mounts. Your are not married to one motor combo.

integrated bump stop (compression)

Depending on individual ride heigth, I use a coilover w/ a 10", sometimes 12" spring (compared to the shorter 9")....longer spring/more travel = smoother ride

just because the alter-k and hemidenny setups use a mustang II spindle doesn't mean they are "based" on a mustang II suspension. the spindles are only a part of the entire system.

Actually mine IS based on the Mustang II front steer geometry. The difficult part is making the package function utilizing our factory upper control arm attaching points and NO major body/frame/sheetmetel mods .

Keep the stock front end unless it's a trailered race car. Way too many of the aftermarket stuff is just SCARY.

Keep the stock front end unless it's a trailered race car. Way too many of the aftermarket stuff is just SCARY.

My alter-k has been a great street piece.

I agree though some brands out there are garbage. Just have to do your research and figure out what ones work for you.

I saw one that had the entire weight of the front end carried by the shock mounts! Ye gods.

And honestly...I am not impressed with the Alter-K-Tion for street use.

Exactly. You can pay more for something designed for the car and is a direct bolt in or you can spend less for something (up front) that isn't made for your car, then keep spending to get it to work.

I prefer not beating my head against a wall while doing automotive work.

also for what ever reason alot of companies have issues with the correct angles to make the piece truly an upgrade...

I saw one that had the entire weight of the front end carried by the shock mounts! Ye gods.

And honestly...I am not impressed with the Alter-K-Tion for street use.

Why not? do you own one? have you driven in a car equipped with one? have you installed one? have you even seen one in person?

Yes, I have...and after looking one over very closely, I would absolutely NOT drive a car on the street with one!

FYI....be careful what you say about the Alter-K, there are some rabid fans of it here. But some folks refuse to accept the fact that there is more than 1 way to skin a cat...

I saw one that had the entire weight of the front end carried by the shock mounts!

the stock shock mounts?? that sure wasn't an alter-k.

you obviously have never driven an alter-k equipped car or are just out trolling for an argument.

FYI....be careful what you say about the Alter-K, there are some rabid fans of it here. But some folks refuse to accept the fact that there is more than 1 way to skin a cat...

i thinks its more that some relay their personal experience with the alter-k. apparently some don't like that for whatever reason.

i thinks its more that some relay their personal experience with the alter-k. apparently some don't like that for whatever reason.

Very true....but at the same time there is more than way to skin a cat....so to speak....

-
Back