My 1973 Dodge Dart Sport Project

-
So, I started tearing into the front end today. I took the idler arm off. I really don't think it looks too bad, but I know it's shot. When on the car, I could grab it with my hand and rock it up and down. It wobbled so much on the bolt while turning, that the tie rod actually hit and gouged the header. I also took a better look at the upper control arm bushings. I really hope they last the rest of the summer until I can afford a front end rebuild kit lol.

Attachments

• Pic of dart 036.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 405
  • Pic of dart 037.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 390
  • Pic of dart 038.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 395
  • Pic of dart 039.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 378
  • Pic of dart 041.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 398
Also, here is a picture of the lug nuts. Is there a reason two of them are taller than the rest? I doubt it, I bet they were just tossed on after losing / breaking two of the original sized ones. I bet they bottomed out and weren't really even holding on the wheel.

Attachments

• Pic of dart 040.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 396
Looks like she was run without grease for a while. Unless I have lost a finger I only count nine. Probably a case of just threw on what he had. I don't see any reason why those bushings won't make it a couple of more months.:coffee2:

Looks like she was run without grease for a while. Unless I have lost a finger I only count nine. Probably a case of just threw on what he had. I don't see any reason why those bushings won't make it a couple of more months.:coffee2:

Good eye, lol. I failed to mention that one of the studs was snapped off, and I snapped off another during disassembly. Not to worry though! I have purchased more lug nuts, and once I install the rotor/hub assembly, it will have all ten lol

Also, here is a picture of the lug nuts. Is there a reason two of them are taller than the rest? I doubt it, I bet they were just tossed on after losing / breaking two of the original sized ones. I bet they bottomed out and weren't really even holding on the wheel.

Correctamundo!,lol. The correct way: stuff the lug nut in,look at the back side of the wheel. The lug nut shank/sleeve,should match the lug nut hole depth very closely lengthwise. That's proper. Nice ride.

Back in the day the shortest oil filter available was a Fram PH43-originally for a 71 Dodge Colt/Plymouth Cricket. Only held 1/2 quart.

Well, terrible day working on the dart. So, last week sometime I went to O'reilly's to pick up all the parts I ordered. Two front calipers, two front rotors, a set of pads, inner and outer wheel bearings, two wheel bearing oil seals, a carburetor rebuild kit, a moog idler arm and I picked up a pack of lug nuts, and a cotter pin set. My pile of parts sat in my garage all week. I had a lot going on with work this week, training, a few different shifts etc... so I couldn't get any wrench time in until today after work. So I get to wrenchin'. The first issue I run into is the idler arm they sent me was wrong. I am willing to bet that when the previous owner swapped in the 1968 318, they also swapped the steering linkage, seeing as how they rigged up a manual gearbox in place of the power steering. Ok, ok my fault. I should have done my homework a little more before I ordered. I figured, ehh, now I need to run up to the parts store, but I may as well put the rest of the parts on. The second problem I had, isn't a big deal at all really other than it annoys the heck outta me. They ordered two different brand calipers. One is bare metal, and one is gold. Freaking annoying. The third, most annoying problem out of them all, is that they ordered me two different brands of oil seals! One worked like a dream, and one was wayyy too big. That's on them all the way. I went up to the parts store to return my seal and idler arm, and now my car is going to sit there, worse off than it was when I started, until Tuesday night after work lol.

P.S. note to self, every time I have to re pack a tapered wheel bearing, I ask myself why I have not shelled out the 25 bucks for a bearing packer. This is no different, why oh why won't I just buy a bearing packer? Lol, I never learn.

Here are some pictures of the progress I have made so far.

Attachments

• Pic of dart 051.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 343
  • Pic of dart 050.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 337
  • Pic of dart 049.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 339
  • Pic of dart 048.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 328
  • Pic of dart 047.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 332
  • Pic of dart 046.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 332
  • Pic of dart 045.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 360
  • Pic of dart 044.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 342
  • Pic of dart 043.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 354
  • Pic of dart 042.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 338
Some more random pictures

Attachments

• Pic of dart 054.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 323
  • Pic of dart 053.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 324
  • Pic of dart 052.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 334
LOL- I. Have a couple bearing packers that I never use. To bad you are not closer-i would give you one. I just like packing them by hand and watching the fresh grease come through. Old school I guess.
Are all your brake lines ok? It may just be the picture but that one looks like it may need looking at soon.

LOL- I. Have a couple bearing packers that I never use. To bad you are not closer-i would give you one. I just like packing them by hand and watching the fresh grease come through. Old school I guess.
Are all your brake lines ok? It may just be the picture but that one looks like it may need looking at soon.

The steel brake lines are so so, the rubber brake hoses from the caliper to the lines are starting to split. Probably gonna replace the lines and hoses very very soon. Better safe than sorry.

I'm with you on the parts thing. Its hard finding wrenching time and when the parts are wrong or something else needs replacing its a setback but every running old car has been thru the same trial. You can tell when someone says "cool car" if they've been there! And you know if you did it its done right.

Hey y'all! Sorry to keep you in the dark for awhile, I've been busy with work. Well, I was finally able to install the idler arm and all of the front end parts I bought. Went to start her up, and now I'm dealing with another fuel issue. I'll get it addressed either tomorrow or Thursday though. Another issue I had, it seems that something is grinding real bad on the passenger side. I'll have to tear it apart again to make sure everything went together smooth.

Finally, some serious progress! (at least it feels that way to me lol.) I rebuilt the carb, starts and runs great now. I pulled the tranny out last night, and should be sending it off to be rebuilt early next month. Gonna pick up a remote oil filter adapter to solve my filter issue while I have the header off (Both headers were in the way of the transmission, in one way or another so they were both taken off.) Here's the mess I had when all was said and done! I want to ask the transmission guy in town if he can cut me a break on cost if I buy the parts for the rebuild myself, a lot of guys wont touch it unless they buy everything though. They wont warrantee it unless they order the parts. Either way, B&M makes a "shift improver" kit for the 904's, anyone ever use them? Also, before I drop the transmission off at the shop, are there any more upgraded or improved parts I should consider?

Attachments

• Dart 3.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 280
  • Dart 4.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 275
Thought I would check in and catch up. Good to see your making progress. The B&M kit is always a good up grade. I think the only reason some shops won't warrantee their work unless they order the parts is they can't charge a 15% mark up. Keep up the good work.:coffee2:

Hey y'all. Just figured I'd check in again. My transmission is at the shop. The guy is rebuilding it, installing a B&M Shift kit, and a higher rpm converter. While he's doing that, I decided to tackle some of the smaller projects I had to do. I started with a tune up. New cap and rotor, new plugs and new wires (which I have to return tomorrow, they're too short.) I plan on picking up a new ignition coil as well. I replaced the thermostat and gasket, and sand blasted and painted the thermostat housing. I was in the process of replacing my front brake hoses tonight, when the line was so corroded that it snapped. I'm gonna run new brake line tomorrow all around the car. Also, since it was cheap, and since I had a hard time removing it the first time, I bought a brand new starter for the car. Seriously, I don't know if you guys have the same issue as me, but with my headers in the way, and with the way the starter goes in in the wrong direction (I was a GM guy in my past life lol) the thing is a pain right in the nads to get out. So that wont come back to haunt me for awhile I hope. I was able to remove the oil filter while pulling the tranny, and bought a filter that's short enough that I think I should be fine with leaving it where it is, instead of buying a remote oil filter adapter. I sandblasted and painted the tranny crossmember, and I have a new bushing on order for it, mine is shot. I also started tearing off my old dryrotted vinyl top. Just trying to take some baby steps lol with a baby on the way in about a month, and my wife's hormones flying, it's a wonder I'm still alive :D. Either way, here are some pictures lol.

Attachments

• Dart 14.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 235
  • Dart 13.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 226
  • Dart 12.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 234
  • Dart 11.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 220
  • Dart 10.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 227
  • Dart 9.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 223
  • Dart 8.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 225
  • Dart 7.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 223
  • Dart 6.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Dart 5.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 239
More pics

Attachments

• Dart 17.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 224
  • Dart 16.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 232
  • Dart 15.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 227
By the way, in one of the above pictures I took of the rear interior, there is a gap between the rear window and the back seat. WHAT GOES THERE??? It's been driving me nuts, there has to be some kind of panel that goes there. if so, where can I get one?

This is just a shot in the dark, but if you have a fold down seat or the car had one originally there may not have been a package tray. I'm betting someone here knows for sure. :coffee2:

Replaced the ignition coil yesterday. Also replaced the ends on the wires, they were just wrapped around the negative post. Cleaned up the coil mount as well. Ran the brake line off the proportioning valve that I broke while replacing the brake hose too. Was going to replace the one to the right side, but the part store only sells the line in pre cut lengths. They didn't have one long enough to reach, let alone one long enough to think about doing the rear end. I have to order a few 25' lengths.

Attachments

• Dart 29.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Dart 26.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 192
  • Dart 25.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Dart 24.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Dart 21.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Dart 20.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Dart 19.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Dart 18.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 189
Good to see the progress, every little thing you do to the car is one step closer to having it done and reliable.
I love the Dart Sports!
Good work, keep it up!

Finally got around to the plug wires last night. The wires I bough originally were way too short, and they were all the store had listed for my car. They ended up selling me on a set of MSD 8mm "make your own" wires. I had never actually bought a set like this before, where you have to cut it to length, strip a little back, crimp the distributor end and go. They're a pretty good value too. The original 7mm wires they sold me were somewhere around $25, and these 8mm wires were $45. They look great too! In retrospect, while I am working on my car and searching the forums, I seem to notice that I'm going about this project in a different way than a lot of other people. I love to see the guys tear there cars down to nothing, do body work, a nice paint job and all new good looking parts. While I'm putting a lot of money in some of the more "unseen" parts of my car, I hope that one day (years and years down the road) I can be one of those complete restoration guys lol. After the transmission is back in, my plan is to buy and reinstall a windshield washer fluid reservoir and pump, take out the head unit in the glovebox and speakers the previous owner installed, replace the vinyl top, find an 8 ¾" rear, rebuild, and replace. Replace the rear springs, spring mounting hardware, shocks, and brakes. When I replace the rear brakes I'll run new brake lines and probably a new proportioning valve. At that point I'll take a step back and breath. I will have a car with a decent running engine, new transmission, driveshaft, rear end, rear suspension, brakes, fuel system, and ignition system. The next project will be a complete rebuild on front suspension and steering. After that, a new engine. Once I am done with that long list of parts and projects, I will essentially have a brand new car, under a car that looks like hell lol (a sleeper, if you will)

Attachments

• Dart 30.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 159
  • Dart 31.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Dart 32.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Dart 33.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 185
A lot of guys change to a mini starter when they put headers on. Dakota starter I think it was? Not sure on that one but I know they change to it. As far as the gap with the rear seat I am pretty sure that it, same way with mine. Rock auto is where I got all my rubber hoses for the brakes and it was a fair price.

Got the transmission back today. She's real purdy. I was freakin beat, and didn't want to start the install being so tired. Tomorrow, the tranny will be in, she'll get new header gaskets, a coolant flush, new temp sensor, copper oil pressure line, 8 qts of tranny fluid and then I'm taking a break. I'm just gonna enjoy the car for awhile before jumping into the next big project.

-
Back