My 1st 833 rebuild

-

Relax360

Reaction score
I am ready to dive in and disassemble my first 833. Any books other than a shop guide should I look into? Any specific tools other than a press and snap ring pilers? Anyone in near San Diego who have done it before who can lend any aid lol. Ay adive would be great.

Brad

im doing it right now it is pretty simple once you open it up and start working with it. i just need to get a press so i can do the pressing on and off myself

I am ready to dive in and disassemble my first 833. Any books other than a shop guide should I look into? Any specific tools other than a press and snap ring pilers? Anyone in near San Diego who have done it before who can lend any aid lol. Ay adive would be great.

Brad

pontiac brad?lol

let me know if you need help.

Don't loose the roller bearings.

Boarder parts [spring valley] carries all the gaskets, synchros and bearings you need.

what year is it out of?
need to know for the correct synchros.
I have brand new brass synchros for the '71 up 833, they are just sitting on the shelf in the bag still...

Get a piece of 3/4" conduit to make a dummy shaft for the cluter gear, and get some trans assembly goo, especially use this to hold in the rollers in the cluster gear.

Get a piece of 3/4" conduit to make a dummy shaft for the cluter gear, and get some trans assembly goo, especially use this to hold in the rollers in the cluster gear.

Yep, I forgot to pick up that before I started the tear down for my daily driver, so I cut the end off of the kitchen broom....wife was a little upset :lol:

You will need a press for the main bearings, AND not forget to put things together in order AND the correct orientation, almost put the rear shift fork ring on backwards when I did mine.

It also helps to look over the diagrams for a couple of weeks prior so that when you get it apart it's like second nature

Count the needle bearings, it helps to know that you have all of them in there.

Just one other note: If the synchros have been bad for a while (grinding gears) 1st and 2nd might have enough damage to still shift poorly after the rebuild. On mine, the tiny teeth on 1st that match up to the synchro were ROUND from grinding so much. I put points back on them to make it shift and it's still not behaving like I think it should, but at least now I can downshift into 1st without going under 10mph

while its apart you should replace the needle roller bearings,,,and the main bearing on the main shaft,,the front bearing un der the retainer,,,its a simple rebuild,,the factory service manual has nice information on this rebuild
, make sure you know the year of the tranny before you order parts,,the syncros are differnt,,,so are the slider gears, you can upgrade to thge newer style sliders,,but you will need the syncors that go wit hthose sliders,,,

refreshing the cuda july 2008 028.jpg

refreshing the cuda july 2008 029.jpg

refreshing the cuda july 2008 031.jpg

refreshing the cuda july 2008 034.jpg

refreshing the cuda july 2008 036.jpg

-
Back