My 318....Is no more..... :(

-
Wouldn't hurt to call the cam manufacturer and describe what you have. This can't be the first time for this. Might even be the cam is bad.

hi everyone!:wave::wave:Just seeing how this is going.Wow,you sure tore it apart and hopefully that wear you found on the plug is the noise.Sux you had to do all that work

These are the only marks on the cam...

xqffba.jpg

2z673o8.jpg

1zq60wj.jpg

29d7406.jpg

Elgin, Hyd. Flat Tappet Cam, Chrysler SB, .420/.443 Chrysler SB
Lift: .420/.443
Adv. Duration: 270/280
Duration @ .050": 204/214
Lobe Center: 112

hope that helps you out buddy!.....looks like someone did a cam in it when they did the pistons and the rest of the build! so thats a plus!

Ive personally never heard of an elgin cam....its a $65.00 cam by the way

here is a description of what the cam is good for Product Description
Fits: 1964 to 1989 273ci - 340ci - 360ci & 1967 to 1989 318ci

• 270°/280° Adv. Dur.
• 112° Lobe Center
• 51° Overlap

• Idle Quality: Good to Fair
• Power Range: 1500 - 4000 RPM
• Good choice for light towing
• Recommended spring pressure 105lbs. for valve on seat; 265lbs. for valve open
• Compression: 9.5:1 or less
• Transmission: Stock auto or Manual
• Notes:

MAY NOT BE COMPUTER COMPATIBLE

hahaha..well thanks for finding the specs for me...I'm going to put an edelbrock performer RPM cam and lifter set that I have, and it's noticeably bigger all around...I've had this cam new in the box for 5 years, and now I finally have a use for it. lol

ha wow.. so what are you gonna do when still makes the noise?

I wouldnt go raining on the parade lol......

Make sure you comb over everything to be positive that was the problem.

even though it seems like thats the case.

"MD318"
cool....you get to put your cam to use!

lol just kidding....I haven't ruled out everything yet...I guess I could check the front pump bushing in the trans like was mentioned before...how do I do that?

That rear cam bearing looks like it's toasted and the cam was flopping around. That would explain why the cam plug is worn towards the bottom.

I wonder if the bore was done and the cam replaced but not the cam bearings and there may be crud in the oiling passages preventing proper cam bearing lubrication.

Post a pic of the cam thrust plate too. Inquiring minds want to know.

Just gonna put my $.02 in..
Ok...makin noise...prolly from cam rubbin...timing chain tight......harmonic balancer came off way to easy....the wear pattern on the plug seems odd to me.I think I would check out the snout on the crank before it all went back together. Just a thought.

That rear cam bearing looks like it's toasted and the cam was flopping around. That would explain why the cam plug is worn towards the bottom.

I wonder if the bore was done and the cam replaced but not the cam bearings and there may be crud in the oiling passages preventing proper cam bearing lubrication.

I can't see the bearing well enough to see if its junk...from what I can see...it shows signs of use but not"junk" hard to get a cam to "wobble' unless multiple bearing are worn and have play in them.....but I get what you are talking about/

Just gonna put my $.02 in..
Ok...makin noise...prolly from cam rubbin...timing chain tight......harmonic balancer came off way to easy....the wear pattern on the plug seems odd to me.I think I would check out the snout on the crank before it all went back together. Just a thought.

I'll take this into consideration...Also, something that I noticed but didn't mention...The crank pulley only has 5 bolt holes that line up...The 6'th hole doesn't line up on the dampener. Here's a pic of the dampener, is it a cast crank or forged crank dampener?...I have a cast crank BTW...

35338sm.jpg

v7ctw0.jpg

9fux4y.jpg

I'll take this into consideration...Also, something that I noticed but didn't mention...The crank pulley only has 5 bolt holes that line up...The 6'th hole doesn't line up on the dampener. Here's a pic of the dampener, is it a cast crank or forged crank dampener?...I have a cast crank BTW...

35338sm.jpg

v7ctw0.jpg

9fux4y.jpg
The bolts not lining up is a common thing...they changed the bolt patterns but for the life of me I can't remember the year that they changed them...Im pretty sure it's a cast one because all of the metal that is removed on the back of it

I can't see the bearing well enough to see if its junk...from what I can see...it shows signs of use but not"junk" hard to get a cam to "wobble' unless multiple bearing are worn and have play in them.....but I get what you are talking about/

Even though that's a pretty good picture it may just be a reflection, only you can tell for sure.

You said earlier that you had concerns in regards to to camshaft endplay. How does the thrust plate look?

Okay, looking my manual, I think I have a forged crank dampener on my cast crank engine...lol what do yall think?

2d9pxrb.jpg

Even though that's a pretty good picture it may just be a reflection, only you can tell for sure.

You said earlier that you had concerns in regards to to camshaft endplay. How does the thrust plate look?

The thrust plate is smooth to the touch and has no grooves...

33z71fo.jpg

Okay, looking my manual, I think I have a forged crank dampener on my cast crank engine...lol what do yall think?

2d9pxrb.jpg
Nope yours is cast..only differance is yours has more material removed on the back of it...I would also junk..you said before that it was easy to remove by hand..your book tells you that they are pressed onto the front of the crankshaft..I have always had to use a puller to remove mine..

Nope yours is cast..only differance is yours has more material removed on the back of it...I would also junk..you said before that it was easy to remove by hand..your book tells you that they are pressed onto the front of the crankshaft..I have always had to use a puller to remove mine..

Okay..Guess another thing I'll need to change...Now what about the crank snout, how should I check that?

-
Back