My 318....Is no more..... :(

-
It's probably wrong but when I heard the noise in the video I thought water pump seal or bearing.

I was going to suggest if you are unsure,load the engine up and take it to a reputable machine shop and have everything checked.I have done this before,heard a noise in the engine,took it apart and found what the culprit was(sometimes,lol).Its not extremley hard to take these motors out of our classic cars,since luckily they dont have a million emissions hoses,sensors,wires,etc.I helped swap an engine on a 2000 Yukon at work this week and with all that emissions crap ,that was a nightmare,lol.I applaud him for doing this and no one here told him to take apart his engine,he did that on his own and is looking at the positive side:He is learning something and is going to put a different cam and even paint the block also.Plus,he found out more about what his engine has and whats been done to it.Hang in there ,man,you got my support.I only wish I could be there helping you wrench on it.=)

the offset bolt thing is h=just a 70 or later design change.

GUITARJONES
Heres the real deal..
Diagnosis of engine noises through the internet is not the way.
I was a tech for yrs and still build and tune.

I ain't no magazine enthusiast, armchair racer, hotrod santa clause, google tech, expert, 'guuuuuruuuuu' or the rest of whatever some retired 'netwit' says 'you people' are.

tell us sherlock...
was there oil leaking out the front seal??
did he say there was?
how bout if it sat for 20+years in the weather?
gee..that seal would be pretty hard after all that time huh?
so much for noise

if he burnt it, it would leak at every stop.

who said to pull it & tear it apart?

It doesn't have to leak, brand new seals will sing. It's a sonic resonance set up at the lip of the seal on the balancer. It has nothing to do with being old, dried out or burnt up which I said nothing about, there's more of that reading comprehension thing....Scoring the hub breaks the surface tension and disrupts the vibration, which is what that is you are hearing, a very high speed vibration similar to disc brake squeal.

Oh and BTW, I'm not retired, I'm still bangin out 60+ hours every week at 53 years old. My 20 and 25 year old sons are both techs at the same dealer I'm working at and they can't beat the old man. No amount of enthusiasm and energy can beat experience and ability. And tools, I have more tools than them. lol

It doesn't have to leak, brand new seals will sing. It's a sonic resonance set up at the lip of the seal on the balancer. It has nothing to do with being old, dried out or burnt up which I said nothing about, there's more of that reading comprehension thing....Scoring the hub breaks the surface tension and disrupts the vibration, which is what that is you are hearing, a very high speed vibration similar to disc brake squeal.

Oh and BTW, I'm not retired, I'm still bangin out 60+ hours every week at 53 years old. My 20 and 25 year old sons are both techs at the same dealer I'm working at and they can't beat the old man. No amount of enthusiasm and energy can beat experience and ability. And tools, I have more tools than them. lol

Thats all groovy n such but you confuse with someone else.
how old is the balancer?
used balancers usually have the wear groove/grooves depending if the seal was offset to avoid the wear groove at some point-[you can feel it with yer finger nail] In other words...if he had a new hub on that seal I would consider this to be possible, but it's an old loose worn hub.

I looked back at yer like 2 posts that hint off..
next time you think yer on to something... don't whisper it.
use some=!!! and people will usually listen.

btw I know that u know yer stuff.... so do I.:cheers:

Anything new buddy?

Last night you had mentioned going to the swap meet, did you pick up anything neat? anything for the 318?

keep us posted!

Nothing new yet. Went to the good guys...Found nothing of interest, except an INSANE amount of BEAUTIFUL women...Lot of them were dressed up like pin up girls...Red lipstick, red finger nails and toe nails, high heels, same had a few tats, pokadots, skirts...Holy hell, my neck hurts...

Anyways, more on my engine later...Going to an all mopar swap meet tomorrow...lol...

Nothing new yet. Went to the good guys...Found nothing of interest, except an INSANE amount of BEAUTIFUL women...Lot of them were dressed up like pin up girls...Red lipstick, red finger nails and toe nails, high heels, same had a few tats, pokadots, skirts...Holy hell, my neck hurts...

Anyways, more on my engine later...Going to an all mopar swap meet tomorrow...lol...

Oh hell with your engine how about pics of the girls!! lol

That cam (performer RPM) seems a little large for a 318 is this your driver? have you figured your comp ratio? what are you running for rear gears/stall? Isn't a cam of this size pushing the limits of the stock/non adjustable valve train? seems like you might be building a dog without some other major(expensive) changes.

its not a "daily driver" or my only source of transportation, but I will be banching it on the street every chance I get this summer...which might be everyday...lol..It has a 3:55 sure grip rear...The pistons are flat tops, and has been bored 0.060 over, it has 360 j-heads with 1.88/160 intake/exh valves, which seem to be in good shape, and looks to have stiffer springs...prolly doesnt mean much...., so it has been rebuilt before, and I can tell it has higher compression than a "stock" 318, or at least I assume this because of the flat top pistons...I do plan to use new pushrods and I want to add a set of adjustable roller rockers...The converter is unknown...

just a little update...Some of you said to leave it alone, but now I've done it..I pulled it all completely apart. Doing a basic rebuild now...lol...i'll keep yall posted...

Cleaned up and painted some parts...Got my rebuild kit today, timing chain & tensioner, water pump. The pistons cleaned up real good too...

358axiu.jpg

Damn Dude, Your really going all out ! This is turning into a resto thread.Looks good by the way.

Looking good buddy.

Keep up the good work, might aswell get cracking on paint and body after this and you will damn near have a fully restored ride on your hands lol

You have the same mental condition that I have. "I may as well tear it down since I have it out already". LOL. I know how you feel. At least you will know what you have when it's done.

Thanks DusterDude72!! I'm gettin there!!

You have the same mental condition that I have. "I may as well tear it down since I have it out already". LOL. I know how you feel. At least you will know what you have when it's done.

Yes...Now I'm looking at my tranny...haha....Thinking to myself if I should do a quick rebuild, add a shift kit and torque converter.. hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa OMG this has to stop!!....

For real now, what harmonic balancer should I get? A factory replacement, or a used one from this site, a summit one, a fluid dampener, ATI...What should I get? I THINK this engine is externally balanced because of the cast crank...and when I get a new one, I dont need the engine rebalanced, correct?

-
Back