my 360 heads were stolen by machine shop

-

texas360

Reaction score
so i was working on setting up my springs on a 360 i recently purchase from a guy that just got back from a machine shop and low and behold i was looking at the numbers when i pulled valve covers and the machine shop took the 360 heads and put some 318 heads back in its place.. what robbery... now i have to find me a pair of affordable 360 heads as this is a budget build...... they took the 596/597 heads and put 163 heads in place..... i cant win for losing...

I have heard of that before. Happens allot and not only heads.Took a set of "J" heads in and the shop owner said "Stocker racers will pay good money for these. Wanna sell them ? "
I did get them back as they were for a customer car and the machine shop wanted to keep our business. Sorry for your loss.

Seen this happen before, and it’s bullshit. The shop that did it should be ashamed.

The biggest issue when I’ve seen this happen is that you have to PROVE what you took to the shop was what you said it was. And that’s not easy.

In 1980 I took a forged crank in to be ground .010 under. A few days later, the guy I was building the engine for grabbed the crank and dropped it off at the shop.

As soon as I opened the box, I could see it was cast. So...I flipped my beenie and called him to go with me to get it replaced.

The end result was when I dropped it off I said it was going in a 318 so they just stuffed a cast crank up my butt. I couldn’t prove what I dropped off, because all I had was a receipt from the wrecking yard where I bought it. They just wrote out small block chrysler crankshaft. I already had a 318 crank, so why buy another if not to get a steel crank.

I was pissed, but we lost out. I went and bought another steel crank and stamped my name on it, and then sent it to another shop to be ground.

I learned a hard lesson there. Sadly, I’ve seen it happen over and over through the years. Sickening.

I just took a crank to get polished. Before it left my shop it got an identifying mark stamped into it and a picture taken. I will be taking a block there as well. It has the same marking.

My crank came back, but it is sad when you fell the need for this.

i was pretty much told by law and the shop... prove it... and really cant.. so i got a pair of old 587 heads that i hope i can save up and get fixed.. been trying to get this motor together and its just another set back.....

so i was working on setting up my springs on a 360 i recently purchase from a guy that just got back from a machine shop and low and behold i was looking at the numbers when i pulled valve covers and the machine shop took the 360 heads and put some 318 heads back in its place.. what robbery... now i have to find me a pair of affordable 360 heads as this is a budget build...... they took the 596/597 heads and put 163 heads in place..... i cant win for losing...
So you brought this motor to the machine shop or you bought this motor from someone who had it at the machine shop? Seems maybe a little more to this story.

Sounds like the local butcher, turn in a good animal and get back a box of fatty gristle crap from a 20 year old milk cow.

i bought it from a friend that took it to machine shop... i was with him when he dropped it off and it was clearly 596 heads.... he picked the motor up and painted it.. put on engine stand. he is a good friend and very trustworthy.. so i know he didnt remove the heads...

That's pretty sketchy at best. I would definitely let the shop know and see what there reaction is. A reputable shop will try to make it right. If not, you know not to do business with them. And let them know you will be airing your grievance on social media. 65'

Sorry to hear this. What little machining I have done anymore, it's done at a shop that I know the guy, and he races at our strip with his work on multiple cars at the strip. Not that he would try, but he'd not survive a story like this.

Sounds like the local butcher, turn in a good animal and get back a box of fatty gristle crap from a 20 year old milk cow.
Been there done that. My in laws have award winning black Angus. The last 2 they had butchered were dairy cow. I can tell.

i was pretty much told by law and the shop... prove it... and really cant.. so i got a pair of old 587 heads that i hope i can save up and get fixed.. been trying to get this motor together and its just another set back.....

I have a set ready to go, that I have been trying to sell for a while... Unfortunately, the cost of shipping them would not make them a viable replacement.
Maybe someone on FABO, in your neck of the woods, will step up. I would, in a heartbeat, if I were close.
This kind of crap really chaps my hide !

upload_2020-4-16_18-17-58.jpeg
Negotiator

i bought it from a friend that took it to machine shop... i was with him when he dropped it off and it was clearly 596 heads.... he picked the motor up and painted it.. put on engine stand. he is a good friend and very trustworthy.. so i know he didnt remove the heads...
Seems to me if he's a good friend you both should go to the shop and discuss it, that will be the defining moment. Friend or no friend before I'd blame the shop or defame them I'd want to hear my friend defend me and say what heads were on that motor.

There's been cases where they keep a set of cracked cores around.... and they call you and tell you yours are cracked and they bring those cores out to show you when yours are just fine.

Stamp ,mark ,and take pics of your property before you drop it off. It's worse as you go east because a lot of cores have dried up

I have a set ready to go, that I have been trying to sell for a while... Unfortunately, the cost of shipping them would not make them a viable replacement.
Maybe someone on FABO, in your neck of the woods, will step up. I would, in a heartbeat, if I were close.
This kind of crap really chaps my hide !
Price? Casting?

Yes, liners, OEM seats, ported, Dbl springs, 5 angle VJ, 1.940 Intakes (240cfm)

We both went to the shop and the machine shop told him to prove it. I'm thinking the shop either did on purpose or just didn't pay attention when assembling. Anyways basically shop said take me to court if you can prove it.

-
Back