My $500 '69 Valiant

-
Coming along! I'd do the 340, just because i think they are a cool motor, but if you are trying to stay original go 273.

Love it, and Im jealous! Your farther along with your body work already! Whats up with people catching the quarter panels on the garage. My 69 has the same damage. Looked like grandma caught the side of the garage while backing out!
Subscribed by the way!
that's hilarious- my Scamp has one in the exact same spot (driver side though). But that one was my fault :(

nice job on the Val btw.

Yeah, I was lucky when i bought the car, the guy I got it from had a donor door and just gave it too me, along with the parts to convert to disk brakes! I got real lucky, this like never happens to me.I used that Rust Bullet everywhere floorboards,engine compartment,trunk floor,real nice stuff!! Still to up in the air over what engine to use, However, got the 8 3/4 and trans. together.Thanks for all the encouragement. This has been a fun project.

If your talking about before applying Rust Bullit? You don't have to, I just scuffed the area's with D.A. with 80 grit, however directions say you only have to scuff you could even use green pad. I did take engine compartment all the way down to bare metal. If you are talking about car we stripped it with chemical stripper it had to come off it had the original paint on it so it all had to be removed.

Here are some pictures we'll let her sit for a couple weeks while other
things get done,then we will wet sand and buff. It's just a good ol southern garage restoration.:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

'69 Valiant 001.jpg

'69 Valiant 009.jpg

'69 Valiant 006.jpg

'69 Valiant 005.jpg

'69 Valiant 007.jpg

Gimme,some input on what y'all think I Should re-build the original 273 probably, expensive parts wise.I have a '68 date coded 340 block which will definitely be expensive to put together,or i have a 318 '72 dated block i could put together. I'm pretty sure that steel crank out of the original 273 motor will work with any block. I know the 340 will probably give me a little more than the 318,but I'm not sure it will be worth it to me as far as cost is concerned.Anybody that has some valid suggestions would sure be appreciated. Thanks Larry.

Nice project. You are doing some quick work on this thing! I say go with the 340. When it comes to value and resale, 340's always bring in a lot more $$$. The 273 is nice for originality. The 318 will be cheap to put together now, but if/when you decide to sell it, you wont get nearly as much money. My vote is a tie for the 340 and 273.

Thanks, i seem to have alot of time right know! I'm still tosing the engine idea around.
I'dont plan on selling it and I do want to drive it alot. I've been trying to stay on a budget and original plans were try to find a nice candidate and re-store all for under 10K but when your touching every nut & bolt and decide to do a little extra along the way you tend to go over budget. I should have called the thread the 10k build. Well I'll let everybody know as i progress.

Looks great, is that single stage paint or base coat?
What engine did you end up using?
Nice work

Thanks, I appreciate it.sire it's BC CC I ended up using the 318. I already had machine
work done. The heads are the 1.88/1.66 valves, it has the ld340 intake on it.

Yeah, the scoops should have been moved outward a little more. I do give my buddy credit for that, however it gives it kinda a funny car affect. These are also repops and
don't kid yourself quality is not nearly as good as original. I had the originals on my last
two Dusters far superior.

-
Back