My 74 Dart Swinger

-

George Lawicki

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just thought I would share my goings on with my Dart. I picked it up over the summer from an estate sale. The guy bought it brand new and has had it till he died. Anyways, the car has a terrible repaint job on it and I will eventually restore the entire thing. For now though, I just want to try and clean it up best as I can and be able to drive it while I save some money and collect parts. The motor runs strong and is very much a daily driver. So here are some random pics of what I have been messing around with. There wasn't too much great care given while cleaning and painting some of this stuff because I will eventually redo all this and restore it right. My main objective was just to clean as much as I could and get it on the road.

20200424_183835.jpg

Car (65).jpg

Car (70).jpg

Car (112) - Copy.jpg

Teardown B (140).jpg

Teardown B (145).jpg

Teardown B (150).jpg

Teardown B (160).jpg

Teardown B (161).jpg

Teardown B (168).jpg

Wow, thats a very clean original car. Very nice foundation to work with. Here is a before and after pic of my 73 swinger for inspiration.

Image1.jpg

20200410_165344.jpg

Welcome aboard! Nice find. They are tough to find that clean in Ohio. I live about 40 miles south of Cleveland and watch cars rot over night. Looks like you have a very nice original car. Enjoy!

It sure looks like a great start to a pretty clean car.
How many miles are on it?
What are your plans for the build when you finally have the money to do what you want to it?
I think your strategy is right on for now, cleaning it up best you can and getting on the road and driving it right away.
Too many people take their cars completely apart and then they sit, only to lose interest in them.
Good on you!

31494060033_large.jpg
image000000.jpg
20190831_090235.jpg
20190831_090823.jpg
here's another before and after!

Looks great! What Coating did you use on the outside of the inner fenders?

It sure looks like a great start to a pretty clean car.
How many miles are on it?
What are your plans for the build when you finally have the money to do what you want to it?
I think your strategy is right on for now, cleaning it up best you can and getting on the road and driving it right away.
Too many people take their cars completely apart and then they sit, only to lose interest in them.
Good on you!
These are actual miles that i believe are true because of the dates of the oil service change stickers that were on the door jambs. Plans for the build are nothing too crazy. Mostly a stock rebuild with perhaps maybe swaping the 6 for a 360. if you look at Johnny macs gold Dart in this post thats pretty much what Iam going after look wise

Car (80).jpg

Looks great! What Coating did you use on the outside of the inner fenders?
After I took it down to bare metal, I sprayed it with a light coat of rustoleum rust reformer, followed by just regular automotive primer and then top coated with rutoleum Satin black. This I wouldn't recommend for a restoration or long time solution. I just did this to make it presentable, clean it up a bit see what I was dealing with, so I can get back on the road. Eventualy when I get to do the restore it will have much better paint and prep work done.

OH man I really dig that Gold color. In fact was thinking of the same sort of color. could you tell me what that color is? And what are your tire rim combo youre running on that car?
Um....it used to be tan...it's now sublime green.
First time someone has liked the old one better lol

Those wheels are weld draglites. If you like them, there are some very similar ones on super sale from race star wheels.

And a company called vision wheels that sell cheaper ones also

It now has slicks and skinnies

LOL no no I know the Sublime green is your current color. I do like the old color though just my preference ya know
I see what you mean too! They do look identical. You have a recent pic? De-beaked?
I was young when I started building it. I would have probably made my nose a 70 or 71 if I had it to do over

here's a similar before and after of my 74 swinger I refurbished a bit a couple of years ago. The first pic is how I found it on the street the day I bought it. The second pic is after I did a few things. All in I've got about 4k into the car.

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

Mine is a color Mopar was using on Challenger and Jeeps around 2010/15, its called Gecko. The green they are currently using is metallic and maybe some pearl, this has neither.

-
Back