My 74 Dart Swinger

-
:read2:Well it seem's im in the best place i could ever be for a couple of questions i really need answers too. First i'll say that i am the furthest thing from a mechanic as one could be but love old cars and mopars in general. i traded a 66 chevy caprice (totally rusted out) for a 74 dart 2 door swinger. i decided i wanted to put a 318 into it . My question is ..will i need to change the drive line and motor mounts ? i dont want to get the swap started and find out that the drive line and motor mounts dont match up.

looking good shawn
what are you going to do with the vega when you join the military

:-DAlso need to find some good rims/tires. anyone know of a good place to order from ? my local Les Schwaub only has 2 styles and i dont like either of them /sigh

Dart Shawn I like the car. A lot of nice work you have done. Good job

:-DAlso need to find some good rims/tires. anyone know of a good place to order from ? my local Les Schwaub only has 2 styles and i dont like either of them /sigh

I suggest you start a new thread.
That way you can post pictures of your vehicle, and ask your questions. People are looking at his post, for entertainment and to see the progress you made. If you start your own post, and start it in the right forum, you will get many more results then posting in someone "restoration" thread.

I have to suggest the same sir!.

Shawn.

I suggest you start a new thread.
That way you can post pictures of your vehicle, and ask your questions. People are looking at his post, for entertainment and to see the progress you made. If you start your own post, and start it in the right forum, you will get many more results then posting in someone "restoration" thread.

I like the way you just expect that the dart is staying and the vega will have to be dealt with in a rather ill fashion hahaha, but in all honesty the vega stays it has to much of my time and work into it, its dads vega any how I just built it. the dart is actually weighing heavily on me I am thinking about trading it for another dart it just has so many problems, bad body, bad steering gonna cost a lot of money to get it right but in the end I'll never fetch what I have into it if I were to sell it so is it really worth doing all the body work and suspension work to it when I can just find a 73 numbers matching 340 dart sport for $1500??

I would love to pic up the 340 dart and put my 318 in it while I rebuild the original 340 I just don't exactly have the coin for the car and the rebuild, bummer but such as life I guess.

Shawn.

looking good shawn
what are you going to do with the vega when you join the military

Thanks!!!, there is a lot of work that needs done and I don't exactly have the money to do it with driving it on a daily basis and getting 25 cents above california's minum wage of 8.25, I can barely keep the tank full. I guess all in good time though right?

I just went to the body shop today to get an estimate for fixing all the problems with the body I gotta go some where else as the nicest shop in town is a insurance based body shop and won't do my car unless i want to pay top dollar as in 6k for a standard paint job. Hopefully I can meet up with the guy I was reffered to, I am also going to get them to stretch my quarter panels out to fit my tires so I can pull off those gawd awful air shocks and let the car rest a little bit!.

Shawn.

Dart Shawn I like the car. A lot of nice work you have done. Good job

Thanks!!!, there is a lot of work that needs done and I don't exactly have the money to do it with driving it on a daily basis and getting 25 cents above california's minum wage of 8.25, I can barely keep the tank full. I guess all in good time though right?

I just went to the body shop today to get an estimate for fixing all the problems with the body I gotta go some where else as the nicest shop in town is a insurance based body shop and won't do my car unless i want to pay top dollar as in 6k for a standard paint job. Hopefully I can meet up with the guy I was reffered to, I am also going to get them to stretch my quarter panels out to fit my tires so I can pull off those gawd awful air shocks and let the car rest a little bit!.

Shawn.

Ya I hear that. I basically drive my car everyday. Ends up about 3000 miles every 3 months. Perfect for oil changes lol. Ya I make 9.50 and work full time and go to school full time. It is tough to find time and money for my project. I feel your pain

Well fella's I havent really done much since I last posted but I reckon I can put in a little update. I recently pulled the front bench seat out and put in a set of BMW 325I sport bucket seats and also put in a full stereo with an alpine head unit Zapco 4 channel amp, cheap sub, a set of POLK DX-7's and a set of eclipse point source 5X7's. Here are a few shots.

Tomorrow my Turbo action Cheetah automatic/manual street/strip valve body gets here from summit!! Ill be installing that as soon as it arrives.

I have also posted the car for sale =(

P1010328.jpg

P1010326.jpg

P1010325.jpg

P1010333.jpg

P1010334.jpg

Shawn.

Well good news!, the car is no longer for sale, after listing it then running into complications with the transmission I finally said screw it, pulled the tranny and am having it rebuilt completely. The shop is going to put in redline clutches and kevlar bands I also bought a Turbo Action Cheetah partial manual street strip performance valve body for it. the total cost for the trans with fluid and and all is roughly $1200 so lets home its good to go I also get a 12 month 12,000 mile parts/labor warranty on the transmission. Will post pics when its finished friday.

Thet transmission is in the car and its back on the road!!!, while i was in there I put a new transmission mount in as well and also put a new 1800-2200 stall converter in.

P1010224-1.jpg

P1010226-1.jpg

little update fella's, Haven't really done much I need to fix the passenger side-(adjust the torsion bar) but i don't know how to =/ however, last night I finally tackled my grill, i sprayed it with plastics primer-(great for aluminum as well) and went over it with rustoleum high gloss block engine enamel. I'd have to say its a hell of a cut above the stock grey and it took the usual ugly 1974 front end to a new level actually nice enough to lice with :p.

P1010310.jpg

P1010311-1.jpg

Shawn.

Shawn,
Wish I was still stationed at Ft Irwin, CA., I'd be hitting you up for that car! The grill does look better in black as that's what we did as well.
Do the buckets from the Bemmer make you sit much higher than what would be stock? They look higher and closer to the steering wheel. Does the electric work on the seat adjustments? We're thinking of doing just what you did with the buckets from another car. Was it difficult to mount / any mods?

I actually seen the pics you updated your thread with of the dart at the show good job taking second btw thats awesome! wish my car was that nice! any ways yeah i seen yours and drove straight to the zone and baught plastics primer and high gloss black engine enamel to paint the grill with! thanks for the mind making pics!!

Mom worked at FT Irwin for about a year before she became ill from a devastating work injury!. thanks a lot for the kind words, your guys dart looks amazing love how you took an old regular boring green dart and made it a very very nice clean original still green but now nice n shiny dart lol. the bimmer seats do sit a little higher but they have a angle adjust meant you can set the seat at 90 degrees and tilt the entire seat backwards or forwards, the seat tilts, the back moves back but not to far forwards the base of the seat can move up and down and the whole seat moves backwards and forwards but they are manual my buddy couldn't get the electric seats out of his other bimmer so I just snatched up these ones. They went in extremely easy as the tracks are straight instead of staggered like most tracks are. the only side i had to add spacers on was the front bolt on the inside track of each seat near the tranny tunnel, all i did was lift the carpet tape a few nuts together and put the carpet over em so you can't even see them it looks like the seats belong there.

The electric seats are cake to hook up if you do get lucky and find a set!, its literally a 12 volt supply as the control panel is built into each seat! the only problem you may have is the motors on the bottom of the seats may hit the floor in the dart I know that with the base of my seat at its lowest position in tilt it will hit the floor just at the point that its as far back on the tracks as possible so it worked out perfectly!

Hope this helped out some

Shawn.

Shawn,
Wish I was still stationed at Ft Irwin, CA., I'd be hitting you up for that car! The grill does look better in black as that's what we did as well.
Do the buckets from the Bemmer make you sit much higher than what would be stock? They look higher and closer to the steering wheel. Does the electric work on the seat adjustments? We're thinking of doing just what you did with the buckets from another car. Was it difficult to mount / any mods?

Abuddy of mine is building a 93 BMW 318I/M3 track car so he's gutting it to lighten it up he just gave me the set of seats which is amazing because these particular seats are actually 325I sport bucket seats in rough condition they sell for 400+ and mine are in pretty damn good shape I got em free the passenger side has a split seem but i found a guy who is gonna material and patern match my bimmer seats to my stock rear bench seat so they will really pop with the interior they will look completely original almost other then the newer bucket shape.

Shawn.

were did you get those seats there sweet

painted up the dash! just wating on it to cure completely so I can paint silver around the outer edge so it looks like trim just like the original. I also still need to clean it up I just finished it today give me a break!!!!

When I was cutting the slot of r my head unit I nicked the heater switch cover in 4 small places so i figured eh what the hell and went ahead and shaved the little frame off with a razor blade, filled it all in including the nicks and painted it.

I think I may stain the wood grain panels on the doors black as well.

I also began taking the AC out!, the compressor and everything in the engine compartment is still in tact but I'm pulling all the interior shizz out, when i started this it messed up a lot of wiring in a sense of pulling it out of its hiding spot :( as well the damn oil pressure supply line to my oil PSI gauge ruptured and pissed oil onto my carpet as I was testing everything after reassembly if you see dry sweep in the picks its not because I'm a pig and tract it into my car its because its soaking up the oil out of my carpet!. Any ways I'm gonna sell off the AC as a complete bolt in kit it can be recharged with hotshot instead of needing rebuilt and charged with R-134A!

P1010323.jpg

P1010315.jpg

P1010331-1.jpg

P1010335.jpg

P1010337.jpg

Shawn.

-
Back