My block got wet!

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I have to pick up my block from the machine shop today. Forecast is calling for snow and I was wondering how bad it would be for the block to get wet?

Have them spray it down with a lube and shrink wrap it then bag it, you will be good to go
Or if they won't, you can and bag it up in a 6 dolor 6X8 tarp .. lay it on it and pull all the corners to gether and zip tie it, I would not want any water getting on a fresh block that has been honed and cleaned ..Period

wd-40 the wd stands for water displacement

Yep ! white lithium grease , I agree with dodge71demon

WD-40 is very corrosive stuff I wouldn't use it to protect bare metal we have banned it in our mold shop

And what exactly does it corrode? I've never seen it corrode anything, and I've used it keep the ways from rusting with condensation on my lathes and mills for years. No rust except where the WD isn't...Heck, I've even gotten it on aluminum and magnesium, and it kept them from oxidizing too.

hose her down with wd 40 and carry on ,,it's not like your gonna leave it sitting outside till spring,,it should be washed down with dawn dish soap n water before you start putting it back together anyways

Give WD 40 time and it will corrode in the elements, in a controlled temp area it will do it's job for a while. JMO and experience, I have used gun barrel lube to store my hard parts in the shop and then wrapped.

ive never seen wd40 corrode ANYTHING. we get that stuff by the gallons and have used it for many many years

oil it down wrap it in cloth then plastic and put in trunk of car not bed of truck

Why not just cover it up with a 33 gallon contractor clean up bag (3 mil), some form of lube (oil, wd-40, grease, etc) and bring it home. then take it out of the bag to make sure all the moisture that It has been exposed to can evaporate.

If you are that worried about it rusting, you may always hand dry it with a towel when you get home to be sure.

It wolnt fit in the trunk of my car and a pick up is the only option today. It's really weird going to get my stuff from someone else's shop. It's starting to set it that someone else was working on my stuff.

If you don't know what to do with it until you build it, my brother in law once used his pontiac block as a living room table by putting a nice piece of glass on it and leaning it upright.

It kept it from rusting until he was able to put it together. (I should post that in youngun2.0's homemede furniture thread)

You have already picked it up but here is what I would have done.

1. Pick it up on a dry day.

OR

2. After I bagged it I would just put it in the truck cab with me on the way home if the conditions are that bad.

OR

3. Rented a U-Haul trailer.

I guess I don't see the big worry. Unless you are planning on letting it set for a while before doing something with it. And this is why. After picking it up from the machine shop the first thing you should be doing is washing the block to remove shavings hiding in internal passages. Then oil it to protect from corrosion. :)

how could you build the engine, if you have to ask how to keep it dry and rust free. jmo

how could you build the engine, if you have to ask how to keep it dry and rust free. jmo[/

Thanks for your opinion. I have never had to worry about my stuff getting wet so I figured I would go ahead and ask to be safe. How stupid of me.

I'm not say'n your stupid, I think the machine shop should have wrapped it, if they expected you to pick the block up on a wet day.

I ended up having to go out of town for work and the motor wasn't ready. When I get it next week I'll just put it in the back of a car more than likely.

-
Back