My Dart Swinger Project!

-
Man that's awful! Really sorry to hear that.
That sucks, sorry to hear that buddy.
Thanks guys its really bad. I love my dogs they are like my kids. Poor marshall is really upset too he has been laying around sulking all day and running around looking for her. It breaks my heart he came up to me just now and layed his head down on my lap and was just so sad. I think he can tell I'm upset.

Managed to get some more work done today. I got them god awful helper springs off, got my fuel lines ran. And painted the bottom of the floor pan.

20200503_202646.jpg

20200503_211213.jpg

20200503_203656.jpg

20200503_211154.jpg

20200503_204031.jpg

20200503_211220.jpg

20200503_203701.jpg

20200503_202300.jpg

20200503_163323.jpg

20200503_211133.jpg

Be sure you have vehicle weight on the axle before you burn any wire. Also, would be a good idea to have vehicle level, or at least the same rake as your planning.

Be sure you have vehicle weight on the axle before you burn any wire. Also, would be a good idea to have vehicle level, or at least the same rake as your planning.
I'm gonna pull the rear back out and level it and the perches. Rookie mistake! At least I have the measurements side to side now

It looks like you are using copper tubing for fuel lines. Modern gasoline includes a copper "encapsulator" chemical that will attack your copper fuel lines. Furthermore, the alcohol used in most blends will also attack your copper. Failure is almost guaranteed. May I suggest using steel?

It looks like you are using copper tubing for fuel lines. Modern gasoline includes a copper "encapsulator" chemical that will attack your copper fuel lines. Furthermore, the alcohol used in most blends will also attack your copper. Failure is almost guaranteed. May I suggest using steel?
Its copper nickel fuel line. It's made for fuel. It to late now they are already installed I'm not pulling it back out now. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm gonna pull the rear back out and level it and the perches. Rookie mistake! At least I have the measurements side to side now
Yeah if nothing else, use 4 cinder blocks set it up next to your factory diff on level concrete and match the angle. Harbor Freight has a cheap angle finder.

Yeah if nothing else, use 4 cinder blocks set it up next to your factory diff on level concrete and match the angle. Harbor Freight has a cheap angle finder.
Yea I have a 2 of them one is a cheap harbor freight the other is a Irwin from Lowe's maybe? Cant remember

I dont have no level concrete but I'm gonna use my deck its level. well I built it so that may be questionable haha just kidding its level. Gonna set some cinder blocks on the deck make sure its level all four ways set the old rear up on it take my measurements, then set the perches and the new rear match that angle and weld it. The hard part is gonna be carrying 2 rear ends up my steps on my deck haha! I may try and use the bottom step to save my back. It was a ***** getting it in the car by myself. I had to basically curl it over the leaf springs then go back and forth from one wheel to the other walking it forward all while holding the pinion up to keep it from digging in the ground. A freaking concrete floor and a floor jack sounds like heaven right now. You guess don't know how good you got it haha jk

I dont have no level concrete but I'm gonna use my deck its level. well I built it so that may be questionable haha just kidding its level. Gonna set some cinder blocks on the deck make sure its level all four ways set the old rear up on it take my measurements, then set the perches and the new rear match that angle and weld it. The hard part is gonna be carrying 2 rear ends up my steps on my deck haha! I may try and use the bottom step to save my back. It was a ***** getting it in the car by myself. I had to basically curl it over the leaf springs then go back and forth from one wheel to the other walking it forward all while holding the pinion up to keep it from digging in the ground. A freaking concrete floor and a floor jack sounds like heaven right now. You guess don't know how good you got it haha jk
Well buddy I'll tell you. It's what I had to do. I stopped working on projects for about 10 years. And focused on building a shop. I could see I was getting older, about your age, and didn't want to keep doing it the way you're doing it forever. Trust me, been there done that. It was a long process. But it was fun, and all part of the journey. First was posts. Then trusses and roof metal. Then closing in one bay and concrete. Then more concrete. Then more concrete. Then more siding. Then roll up doors. Etc etc. And when I had the money saved up for a real sweet engine I had a decision to make. Finish my shop or drop it on the engine. Well I found a $600 sweet running 360 guess where the rest went?
20181209_145116 (1).jpg

When you're done with this car, I highly recommend you go by some 6 x 6's. And get started. It won't take long, maybe 10 or 15 years. Lol

Last edited:
Well buddy I'll tell you. It's what I had to do. I stopped working on projects for about 10 years. And focused on building a shop. I could see I was getting older, about your age, and didn't want to keep doing it the way you're doing it forever. Trust me, been there done that. It was a long process. But it was fun, and all part of the journey. First was posts. Then trusses and roof metal. Then closing in one bay and concrete. Then more concrete. Then more concrete. Then more siding. Then roll up doors. Etc etc. And when I had the money saved up for a real sweet engine I had a decision to make. Finish my shop or drop it on the engine. Well I found a $600 sweet running 360 guess where the rest went?
View attachment 1715522278

When you're done with this car, I highly recommend you go by some 6 x 6's. And get started. It won't take long, maybe 10 or 15 years. Lol
That's an awesome garage! I completely agree I have to get something. I started planning a build about 3 years ago and me and the wife talked about buying a new home and I didnt want to drop a bunch of time and money into a shop just to leave it behind. So I waited. We are gonna start house shopping again whenever this Corona passes my 2 requirements are a shop or garage and land I can shoot on. Even if it's a short distance. I hate driving over an hour and going to a public range with 15 other jackasses I don't trust.

That's an awesome garage! I completely agree I have to get something. I started planning a build about 3 years ago and me and the wife talked about buying a new home and I didnt want to drop a bunch of time and money into a shop just to leave it behind. So I waited. We are gonna start house shopping again whenever this Corona passes my 2 requirements are a shop or garage and land I can shoot on. Even if it's a short distance. I hate driving over an hour and going to a public range with 15 other jackasses I don't trust.
Even better if your gonna move. Get one already done. That you can add on to, of course. :)

Even better if your gonna move. Get one already done. That you can add on to, of course. :)
Yep that's the plan. Last year we found the perfect place it had acreage, a really nice home (for her and the kids haha) and a huge workshop with benches and a half concrete floor and a hoist on the rafters. And it had an additional horse barn that could have been converted into another shop. But it was under contract before we could even look at it

Question for you. I usually like to have the engine/trans installed before setting pinion angle. What was your plan on that?

I'm gonna go off the original rearend and set the pinion angle the same as it.

Got some work done today. I got the rearend pretty much done just gotta clean the cover paint it and install the gasket. I'm gonna have to weld on some tabs for the brake likes. Got the steering column measured up and fitted to the gearbox and the coupler welded on. Took it back out and painted the lower half. I gotta clean up and paint the top half too. I want to remove the column shift hole and fill it in. That maybe a project for later tho. I got the fuel lines finished and connected to the tank. And painted the passenger side floor and the fire wall. I have to go in and run some sealant around the cowl its still leaking even after I cleaned it out.

20200509_164105.jpg

20200509_164123.jpg

20200509_164143.jpg

20200509_163535.jpg

20200509_163505.jpg

20200509_154954.jpg

20200509_154017.jpg

20200509_154009.jpg

Got a little more done before calling it quits for the day I gotta go back to work in the morning so I gotta try and relax and go to bed tonight I been having a horrible time sleeping again it's been all week hopefully tonight I can sleep

20200509_182100.jpg

20200509_182111.jpg

20200509_183703.jpg

20200509_183720.jpg

Pinner whites in some circles. You can always pick up a gallon on hot rod flats in your favorite color and shoot it on the cheap.

Pinner whites in some circles. You can always pick up a gallon on hot rod flats in your favorite color and shoot it on the cheap.
I'm probably got spray it with red oxide rustoleum primer. Its 10 bucks a quart and sprays like a dream. I will drive it like that until I can start the bodywork. That's the primer I used on the floorboards and under carriage in sprays and covers wonderful. I am gonna go ahead and paint the engine bay and doorjamb now so I don't have to pull the engine and interior whenever I do start the bodywork.

Do not put rustolem paint on the exterior, you will regret it down the road.
Just spend $100 on Summits 2K primer system and spray it.

Do not put rustolem paint on the exterior, you will regret it down the road.
Just spend $100 on Summits 2K primer system and spray it.
Not permanently. I have spi epoxy and clear when I get to that point. The rustoleum is just temporary so i can drive it without it being 10 different colors haha

Rustoelem is oil base, it could jack any automotive paint sprayed over it.

-
Back