My Dart Swinger Project!

-
Budgets make it tough..... darn. Yep, no way on that cylinder.

Option: You could bore that one cylinder... not unknown at all. At a .030" oversize, it is a whopping 0.6 cubic inches larger out of 40 ci... a whopping 1.5% difference. You will get more variation than that from different ring sealing and different cylinder filling.

For balance, just drill a bit of weight out of the new oversized piston's pin bosses and make the total of the piston+pin+rod weigh the same as the average of the other piston+pin+rod assemblies. For a budget situation and limited to mid RPM's, it will work OK. (It'll probably end up being the best cylinder in the engine LOL)

The trick is measure the compression height of the existing pistons and match that up, so that the 1 cylinder will not be at a different SCR.

However, I'd take it to a shop and ask their opinion on the rest of the bores before doing this. Or, borrow a bore gauge and check them out.
I like your idea and your option but again are these a, lighted with all the other things that need to be done going to be cheaper than a magnum swap?

I know you are invested in a rebuild in labor at this point but if it were me in your situation, I would go for something like Dicer posted. It's going to likely save you money for sure in the short run and gets you on the road a lot quicker. Then way when you've got some cash saved up you can tear back into the 360 or the 318 and do a slow rebuild while you're enjoying the running Dart.

If it is already pulled take a compression tester and a battery with you to make sure that's good.

Just my two cents:
pennies.png

Very good question..... Magnums are not all that expensive around here (and I am about 100 mi NE of DF75, in the same general market region). ANd, Magnums have a bit higher CR to start with due to lower deck. Downside: any other used engine is another crapshoot as to condition.

I'd guess $125-150(???) to clean the block before and after, and bore one hole, and press on one piston. A single 526AP+.030 piston is showing up online for $25.

The nice part of going back to the drawing board and boring all them out is that things can be cleaned up and set right from the get go. But it's that nagging question of budget.

Heck of a drive from the western side of Virginia to Delaware.

I just got a little bit of a crazy idea tho. I have a complete 360 (doesn't run) j par would you care to guess what I'm thinking?
I'll bite. 318 heads on a 360? At this point why not? You'll be going down the road!

Dude if you have a complete 360 bottom end, I'd slap those 318 heads (reassemble as is) on there and ride. Don't look at nothing. Don't measure nothin. F it if it smokes.

I'll bite. 318 heads on a 360? At this point why not? You'll be going down the road!
The 360 is in the same boat as the 318 needs to be bored and machined.
So I talked to a machinist he priced 250 for clean bore and cam bearings I asked how much without the bearings and he kinda acted like I was stupid Haha apparently not many ppl do that their self. But he never answered me so 250 for the bore. 100 if I wanted to mill the deck 100 to install new pistons and 150-300 for balance depending weither he needs to add or take weight. Apparently adding is more expensive. And then 179 for new pistons and rings. So I'm looking at around 800 bucks minimum! That's including the 150 for the new bearings or anything else. I dont have that. So I guess I'm looking for a running engine again. Thanks for all the advice guess and keep me posted if you see anything close to my area. I'm looking on fb and gonna call the local junkyard either a magnum or la would be fine with me.

Not getting my hopes up yet but found a deal its local about 60 miles away. And it's a 75 so the year of the engine would match up with my car that would be cool. But its 75 dodge truck with a 318 manual transmission I think it's a 3 speed the ad dont say but it's on the column so I'm assuming it's a 3 on the tree. For 630 bucks

Screenshot_20181116-090617_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20181116-090606_Facebook.jpg

Good local find, prefect candidate for what you need. Buy the looks of the steering column it is a three on the tree. Looks like seller wants it gone, carry some cash and make an offer. Hope the deal goes your way....

Good Lord no! You're all over the place...
Lay it on me though...
stroke that 360 to a 5.9 I did that once and wow!!! :D
Not getting my hopes up yet but found a deal its local about 60 miles away. And it's a 75 so the year of the engine would match up with my car that would be cool. But its 75 dodge truck with a 318 manual transmission I think it's a 3 speed the ad dont say but it's on the column so I'm assuming it's a 3 on the tree. For 630 bucks

View attachment 1715249819

View attachment 1715249820
body doesn't look to bad in that picture......

Nooooo....
Frying pan Into the Fire!...
Over $600 for an old truck with a completely worn out motor that just runs...
That 76 power wagon I bought last year had a 318 that ran great smooth quiet and no smoke.
But when I tested it and took it apart like the compression was extremely low on a few cylinders and the timing chain was so slack it almost touched in a center I would swear I took a picture of it! It was so Caked Up and worn out inside I couldn't believe that ran like it did II never did see if it really had any power left in it because I had pulled it out and put a 360 and anyways but spending that much money for an entire truck and what would likely be a completely worn out motor unless it's been replaced.

You said you were going to call the Pick-n-Pull about Magnum engines what did they say? Do they let you know the mileage that it ran with? Do they have any information that if it ran good or not? Does it give any kind of warranty? Like if you pull the head off and it's garbage you can take it back? Play possibly they could do a compression check before?

Nooooo....
Frying pan Into the Fire!...
Over $600 for an old truck with a completely worn out motor that just runs...
That 76 power wagon I bought last year had a 318 that ran great smooth quiet and no smoke.
But when I tested it and took it apart like the compression was extremely low on a few cylinders and the timing chain was so slack it almost touched in a center I would swear I took a picture of it! It was so Caked Up and worn out inside I couldn't believe that ran like it did II never did see if it really had any power left in it because I had pulled it out and put a 360 and anyways but spending that much money for an entire truck and what would likely be a completely worn out motor unless it's been replaced.
I was thinking a rattle can of grey primer on that truck and drive it! Bet it's pretty punchy too :D

Rusty 2 wheel drive single cab 1/2 ton? sounds like parts
your eyes are better than mine then, what I see doesn't look too bad to me. And what's wrong with 2wd single cabs? I prefer them..... and with a 3 on the tree, i'd enjoy driving it --- so long as the underneath was solid.

I'm to tall to be comfortable in a single cab truck.
we don't care about your comfort...… :D :D :D IF you can fold up in a Duster with a cage, you'll fit a full size Dodge truck just fine.....

You said you were going to call the Pick-n-Pull about Magnum engines what did they say? Do they let you know the mileage that it ran with? Do they have any information that if it ran good or not? Does it give any kind of warranty? Like if you pull the head off and it's garbage you can take it back? Play possibly they could do a compression check before?
I havent gotten around to it yet I'm going to tho. I'm just looking for deals on fb now. My buddy texted me today and said he found a Dakota with a 5.2 5speed not sure on the price yet. That would be awesome I prefer manual transmissions I wanted to make my dart a 4speed back in the day.

Are the motor mounts on a magnum the same as la? Will my Schumacher slant 6 to 318 conversion brackets work with a mag?

-
Back