My Duster was stolen

-
The OP creates a fascinating thread on Thursday and responds twice that day but then vanishes. It’s not possible to see when he was last online so, unless he hasn’t been online for 3 days, perhaps the posts in the next two pages hold some merit?

Does the step daughter still have the titles? Why did the step daughter wait for the step dad to call to inform him the cars were stolen? How much time passed between the cars being stolen and the step daughter informing him the cars were stolen? Did the step daughter report the cars stolen to the police or did the step dad do that?
Let’s see, long time member has a catastrophe happen to him with ghoulish circumstances and you wanna bust his balls on a lack of info and more than likely the same unanswered questions you have?

Take a seat pal, relax and read the updates as they come in if they come in.

I live in the next county over from Johnston. Likely the vehicles are not in the area any more but, I'll check it out best I can.
Anyone want to help search, you can use Searchtempest.com and it will check craigslist ads all over the USA in one sweep. I found a scam ad from a dude in Colorado , who was falsely using the ad from the real seller in Virginia.

How long can it take to prove or disprove that you do or do not have a title? If I had several cars “ stolen” I would have a title or a court date at this point. I guess I don’t get it.

I see no bashing of Tom here at all. Only questions asked that any normal person would ask and suggestions that anyone would give to try and help someone out. I think some of yall need liberal safe spaces.

This is an unusual situation and unusual questions are being asked. Seems pretty normal to me.

this is a story told many times by many families, only after they admit they have been ignoring the signs of drug addiction for far to long. sorry for your loss, but I think you will find a demon stole the cars or a demon sold the cars.
I'm just waiting to see which one.

Let’s see, long time member has a catastrophe happen to him with ghoulish circumstances and you wanna bust his balls on a lack of info and more than likely the same unanswered questions you have?

Take a seat pal, relax and read the updates as they come in if they come in.

Buddy, it’s been over 3 weeks and another member revives the thread asking if there’s an update. If the OP creates the thread, why isn’t there any follow-up? It’s a bit like saying you have a good joke but then disappear and not follow through with telling the joke.

I agree with I think everyone here in that it’s pretty grim his ride is no longer where he last saw it. I’m not sure why you think I think otherwise.

However, if he creates the thread, he wants to share his story. Members are then able to provide input, suggestions and questions since the OP opened the door. Unless there’s a twist to the story, folks have provided some input based on either similar experiences or connecting the few dots the OP provided.

Depending on the insurance company, some cut a cheque for a stolen car if it isn’t found after a month.

Give him time. The news may not be such as he wants to share right now.

Sad, Just another story of how nobody will eff you over like friends and family. Any time you leave anything behind over 30 days in most municipalities they don't need your title to dispose of your abandoned property. They can file for their own. There is more to this story.

Edit, Momma bought you the car and her daughter was compensated in her passing? Jilted situation from the onset.

Last edited:
why leave them with someone you would accuse of doing that in the first place?
Because I thought I could trust my stepdaughter and I left the titles in the vehicles because in NC you need to have the buyer and Seller appear in person with Identification in front of a Notary Public before the title can be stamped and the sale considered a legal sale on the vehicle.

For those who choose to bash me here, you do not know the circumstances of what I was dealing with at the time I left North Carolina. My wife had died in April 2016 and I was not doing well emotionally with her loss and was in fact considering suicide and tried twice to kill myself between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2016. My daughter (Not Step Daughter) had graduated and moved out of the house and away with her boyfriend who enlisted in the US Army. I was in a home all alone surrounded by memories of my life which to me was ripped apart from loss. I had barely any income and was in danger of losing my rental home and decided to let the house go and relocate as far away as possible to start my life over. I tried to sell my vehicles and did not have much time to get this done and after talking with my step daughter who lived in Selma NC, she assured me she would keep my vehicles at her home until I could arrange selling or shipping or whatever. Well this did not happen. My bad for trusting a family member. Please do not cast stones at me for the decisions I made at that time. I was not really in a very good place mentally and hindsight is 20/20. Sorry I have been off FABO so long but I cannot even look at any classic car anymore, I just get depressed and disgusted over what I did and the decisions I should have made and/or made the wrong ones. Bottom line is I do not have my only thing besides my Wife and Daughter that had any real meaning left to me any longer and I probably will regret this until the day I die. Please do not say anything if you have not walked a mile in my shoes. To those who have been supportive, I know who you are and I truly appreciate your friendship and kind words. Thank You very much.

Last edited:
These are not 3 vehicles I would expect the same crew that to after.

never mind at once!

For those who choose to bash me here, you do not know the circumstances of what I was dealing with at the time I left North Carolina. My wife had died in April 2016 and I was not doing well emotionally with her loss and was in fact considering suicide and tried twice to kill myself between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2016. My daughter (Not Step Daughter) had graduated and moved out of the house and away with her boyfriend who enlisted in the US Army. I was in a home all alone surrounded by memories of my life which to me was ripped apart from loss. I had barely any income and was in danger of losing my rental home and decided to let the house go and relocate as far away as possible to start my life over. I tried to sell my vehicles and did not have much time to get this done and after talking with my step daughter who lived in Selma NC, she assured me she would keep my vehicles at her home until I could arrange selling or shipping or whatever. Well this did not happen. My bad for trusting a family member. Please do not cast stones at me for the decisions I made at that time. I was not really in a very good place mentally and hindsight is 20/20. Sorry I have been off FABO so long but I cannot even look at any classic car anymore, I just get depressed and disgusted over what I did and the decisions I should have made and/or made the wrong ones. Bottom line is I do not have my only thing besides my Wife and Daughter that had any real meaning left to me any longer and I probably will regret this until the day I die. Please do not say anything if you have not walked a mile in my shoes. To those who have been supportive, I know who you are and I truly appreciate your friendship and kind words. Thank You very much.

no need to explain anything I hope your doing better now and I really hope you get your car back.

I knew a guy who had a Chevelle SS. The soon to be ex wife forged and sold the car. They divorced. 6 months later the car surfaced at a major car auction. The court ruled that it was in fact forged and essentially stolen. He got the car back and the new owner really took it in the shorts bad. I’m not at all sure what even happened. Long story short, don’t give up. The cars could still be legally and rightfully yours.
I worked with a guy that had a Harley for sale and some guy took it for a TEST RIDE and never came back. Cops said since he gave him the key and let him take it , IT wasn't stolen. Wouldn't do anything for him.

I am hoping your life has turned around for the better and your Duster makes it back.
Like mbaird said, keep as much off the net as possible, or it could be giving thief a heads up.

I wont enumerate the number of Dumbass decisions I have made in life.... best to not think of them and just move on...lol

I honestly hope the authorities can help you get your car back and that this story comes to a good conclusion. It sucks that you have had to go through this. Fingers crossed.

If the cars were titled in North Carolina and your your name was forged on the titles North Carolina would have a copy of of those titles along with the purchaser.

If the cars were titled in North Carolina and your your name was forged on the titles North Carolina would have a copy of of those titles along with the purchaser.
That's the problem. The vehicles have not been registered and still show up in my name. The detective has exhausted the search to see if they were sold, scrapped or whatever......

Wow this is absolutely horrible. I'm sorry for your hardships not just the car but everything that has / had been going on prayer for you.

-
Back