My Employer sucks!

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
I live and work in Washington state. My company is nation wide with 14 branches. The entire company is shutting down for a week and we all have to meet at the company head quarters in Chicago, IL from the 29th to the 5th. I only get paid for 40hrs. I fly out tomorrow morning at 5 am. and fly back next sat at 6 am. not getting paid to fly on the weekend and we are not getting paid time and half or double time for being at the meeting during new years. they are taking two weekends away from me and my dart is only one day away from being a running and driving car again for the first time in ten yrs.

Ran over.

I worked for Uncle Sam for 22 years and this happened to me all the time, like 3 or 4 time a month I would have to travel some where and leave Friday night or saturday morning and not to be a smart *** but as I was told when it first happen to me "put your big boy pants on and deal with it" or find another job

I live and work in Washington state. My company is nation wide with 14 branches. The entire company is shutting down for a week and we all have to meet at the company head quarters in Chicago, IL from the 29th to the 5th. I only get paid for 40hrs. I fly out tomorrow morning at 5 am. and fly back next sat at 6 am. not getting paid to fly on the weekend and we are not getting paid time and half or double time for being at the meeting during new years. they are taking two weekends away from me and my dart is only one day away from being a running and driving car again for the first time in ten yrs.

Ran over.

Is this a usual thing? Hopefully it won't be bad news.

Grow up and deal with it, at least you have a job in this economy.
Have you ever been told 1/2 hour before quitting time on Friday that you are needed at another company site the next day?
The company sites are 4 hrs and 14 hrs driving distance from where you are based.
Salary no pay for anything over 40 hrs.

Just be damn happy you have a job. Some people never have the chance to travel anywhere.

every 5 yrs they have a company meeting. they are putting us all up in a 4 star hotel and have all our meals planed out for us. the worst part will be all the "team building" events. bowling, dinners, etc...... just sucks having to leave for a week during a holiday and being away from family and my hobbies.

trust me i know about the job market. the last job i had for 6 yrs making good money and they closed the doors and told us we could re-apply for our jobs. i was out of work for 4 weeks and found this job. I know jobs GOOD jobs are harder to come by then they used to be. I also know that alot of people dont have jobs because they don't want to put the effort into finding one and doing what needs to be done to make themselves employable. Lucky? maybe. or maybe I work my *** of for this company and they are lucky to have me for what they pay me?

every 5 yrs they have a company meeting. they are putting us all up in a 4 star hotel and have all our meals planed out for us. the worst part will be all the "team building" events. bowling, dinners, etc...... just sucks having to leave for a week during a holiday and being away from family and my hobbies.

Sorry I see you're a young gun and therefore maybe haven't gone through really tough times...but this might be a good time to look at things a different way....you get out of things what you put into them....the team building events can be fun. I remember my Dad used to go on weekend business trips all the time, he wasn't paid anything but his regular salary. We thought it was cool, in fact I still have a little piggy bank from the Chicago Boat Show.

Make the most of every opportunity you get in life!

You're getting paid for 40 hours at your standard rate plus the cost of the hotel for a week plus the cost of all of your meals plus the cost of all of the activities. And you have a job. And you still have your vacation time to use later.

And you're complaining about it? Unemployment compensation in Washington is how much per week?
Chicago is a great city to visit and great food to enjoy. I'm sure you're going to have some spare time so go out and enjoy the regional specialties like deep-dish pizza and Italian beef sandwiches.

Your Dart will be a running and driving car early in 2013. What's one more week after 10 years?

Your Dart will be a running and driving car early in 2013. What's one more week after 10 years?

Another week might lead to a long time before the sun comes out again.... Right now in our area of Washington, the weather report is looking a bit promising.

Young G- you'll probably have a better time than your expecting. Enjoy the area, eat and drink well. And go light'em up in the rain in a couple weeks.

I was young once as were most of us here,yes it sucks your giving up a couple of weekends and your toy won't get done. Look at what your getting pretty much an all expence paid trip to Chicago plus your getting paid to boot,sure you probly are gonna have to spend some time with the person that you work with that you don't care for but the rest washes that negitive out. Your alternative is no job, unemployment checks [oh wait you won't get that you quit],gotta sell your toy [yes i say toy cause it's a luxury for us workin folks] to pay bills or be homeless with a half finished toy. Your getting paid [i suppose salary that explains no time an a half] so whats the problem other than you just don't want to go,it is said "life is what you make of it" go and have a good time you may be suprised and enjoy it.

Paid trip to Chicago for new years and you are bitching. Check out the city for the new years parties.

I’d be thankful for having the job in this day and age. Just think of as “ it helps to fund my Dart” that may help a little bit.

Be thankful for your employer & hope no one else at your firm is a mopar nut & reads about you bashing the company's conference . Traveling this time of year sucks but make the most of your trip, stay positive & enjoy Chicago especially if you've never been. If staying near O'hare make sure you try both Giordano's & Gibson's steakhouse.

Oldschoolcuda

I know it has been said numerous times already ... but thank God you have a job...

Unfortunately, it's an employers market right now. If you have a job, it's best not to make too many waves because they might just replace you. My wife and I are in a bad situation, trying to live off of one paycheck, mine. She hasn't worked full time in over 2 years and her unemployment ran out earlier this year. My company has a policy of you get paid for the hours you work, ie; 38 hrs work, 38 hrs pay. In my industry, the pay rates have dropped over the last 15 years and as of now, I'm working for the same amount I was making 20 years ago. Inflation hasn't decreased, but the hourly rates have. I just sit back, put in my hours and hope my weekly checks cover the bills, because there isn't any extra for anything.

I'm pounding the pavement and the web and newspapers looking for work. Just put the last of my cash in the bank to cover January rent. Wife and I have a total of $30.00 left for the month with NO money to pay house bills.

well i don't think i will be able to make any of you understand. The common reply seems to be that i am lucky to have a job. well for what they pay me and the hours i work (362 hrs over time this year) and the things i have done for the company i feel justified to be bent over giving up two weekends and a holiday with my wife and family and not being compensated financially. everyone also says to enjoy the trip and see the city. Id love to but they have me taking courses from the time my plane lands on sat. morning until 11 pm everynight doing team building until my plan leaves the next sat. morning. they are not giving us any free time to see the city. and if i were able to go out on the town who has money to spend on cab fare and that sort of thing 4 days after christmas. not to mention the fact that i have to pay $25 ea for my checked luggage both ways. that is a total of $100. I have been supporting my family on my check along for the last 6 months while my wife gets treatment for her medical issues.

I understand where you are coming from. Taking personal time away from you and not getting paid for it. That sucks. Try working at large auto dealership... we only get two paid holidays a year...I worked Christmas eve day and will again on New years day when most people are off. Do I get paid more for it... nope... but at least I get paid. We are lucky to have jobs you and I..... so I understand your rant. Good luck with it all.

-RPM

If I were you I would tell them to pound sand and just quit. Younger generation, your right I don't get it. There are a whole bunch of people here who would be happy to have a job. These young bucks think they are owed something crack me up.

-
Back