My GAUWD you are uninformed

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Stumbled onto this on CraigsMess

======================================================================

http://spokane.craigslist.org/clt/5145663656.html

THESE ARE REAL ICE TONGS (NEWPORT/DIAMOND LAKE)

LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVE ICE TONGS THAT PICK UP LITTLE BITTY CHUNKS OF ICE
---MY TONGS ARE DESIGHNED TO PICK UP 400 LBS OF ICE BLOCKS AT A TIME
---THEN DELIVER THEM TO THE OLD FASHIONED ICE REFER. CARS ON THE
RAILROAD--THIS WAS THE TIME BEFORE REFER CARS.
THESE CAME FROME THE OLD ICE MANUFACTURING PLANT IN PASCO WA.
THATS SOLE PURPOSE WAS MAKING ICE TO LOAD R.R. CARS IN THE OLD DAYS

----THIS SET IS IN PERFECT WORKING CONDITION AND IS FOR SALE FOR ONLY $99.00

00x0x_kdilBmDbrN_600x450.jpg

===============================================================================
For you kids too young or "too city," these are HAY forks, used for unloading loose hay off a trailer and into a barn. A carriage device in the peak of the barn was used to carry the hay up and into the barn, and a small line held by the man on the trailer could "trip" the forks to release the hay

How would I know? Way too many hot summer days cutting hay when I was a kid, that's how. We could not afford a baler

The hay grapple pictured below is a different type. There were many

closing_barndoor.jpg

I was at an auction last week and they had a carrier similar to your illustration as well as some forks just like the one in the illustration.

They also had a lot of old engines, engine parts, and engine work related shop equipment. Model T, model A and flathead V-8 complete engines, partial engines, new pistons, gaskets and more.

There was also a couple real early truck axles that were a worm gear design and a couple of partially completed "doodlebug" tractors, one of which had steel wheels and a worm gear rear axle.

Next month there is going to be another auction in this area with even more old engine stuff and shop equipment.

Always fun checking out this old stuff.

I was at an auction last week.......... and a couple of partially completed "doodlebug" tractors, .

Hell I thought my "Gramps" invented the word doodlebug until the www came along, LOL. These photos may have been taken before I was born [48] But I still remember this running when I was young. Dad built a plow on the front for snow. Also, they had a "buzz saw" that hung off the rear, driven by one jacked up wheel.

This is Gramps and my Dad. Gramps could not have been older than about 50 when this was taken. He was born in 1900. If you look close you can see the second transmission hanging down in the middle.

attachment.php

"Gramps and Gramma" on the hay machine

attachment.php

Funny I looked at the pic before reading and after starting to read I thought Huh? Dang city folk. lol I knew they were for hay.

Boys....we are showing our age! We go to the Museum at our county fair and I have worked with most of the "relics" that are on show. I have an old International "M" hit and miss engine!

Boys....we are showing our age! We go to the Museum at our county fair and I have worked with most of the "relics" that are on show. I have an old International "M" hit and miss engine!

LOL. Guy came by once and wanted to know if I wanted to sell "my antique tractor." (It's a 100 / Super A and I use it for what I bought it.......lifting and plowing snow)

I told him hell no, that's a working piece of machinery!!!

24xm4k7.jpg

attachment.php

that little tractor and my 2-post hoist is some of the best money I ever spent!!

My neighbor just recently bought a tractor very similar to yours to use to rebuild a retaining wall. It has a front end loader on it I thought looked homemade, very well done but homemade.

The arms and the bucket look very similar to yours but the frame mounting structure is very different. Somebody also cleverly mounted a GM power steering box on it. There are two hydraulic pumps mounted on the front, driven off the front of the crankshaft, one for the PS and one for the lift, with a very well done cover over the pump drives.

His tractor has brake problems, have you ever had yours apart?

Your Grandpa sure had a stylin' hat kicked to the side there!

He often did that. Pointed it "to suit the sun" LOL. He was a carpenter all his life, and often had a pencil stuffed either behind his ear, or up in the brim of his hat.

My Gramma died when she was in her early 50's, I was not very old, about 12 I think. Gramps was senile the last few years, but he lived to be 4 days past his 100th birthday.

-
Back