my guidance has failed

-

ef8340

Reaction score
well my nephew decided that he would like to get a older car for a project this week so naturally my eyes glazed over and started visuallizing a dart,duster or even a b-body to keep my dart company in the cozy driveway i quickly told him about a 72 duster that was complete sitting in a local wrecking yard around here but he wasnt to keen on the sitting in the wrecking yard bit and informed me about a pale yellow car sitting on a car lot on the other side of town he wasnt too sure on what it was but he said it had 2 scoops on the hood and black side stripes so i was really interested almost left the house without my shoes to see it, driving too it im imagining a duster 340,twister or better yet a demon 340 pulling into the lot im looking for this a-body thinking to myself where is this mopar at the lot there was a total of only 5 or 6 cars on the lot then it dawned on me it wasnt a mopar that my nephew was interested in but a 71 maverick grabber ,......well atleast its going to be a older car that gets saved he's picking it up tomorrow note to self maybe i should have gave him that ride that his mother [my sister] warned me not to give him in the dart :snakeman: either way im sure this will be a learning experiance for us both
atleast it isnt rice

At least it will be a learning experience for him!Those cars are nice and light with the V8 in them.

OK, it's not a MoPar, but it could be worse than getting an import, he could not care less about cars.
So what it's a Ford. At least it's not only a bit old, but an unusaul model and something to have fun with. They can be quick little buggers no doubt. The best thing is that your passing along something worth something and doing.

Your guideance didn't exactly fail, he just seen a cool old car and jumped on it. He can get a Mopar later. Once he's a tad older and tired of getting spanked.

It is classic American iron and not a Mustang or Camaro. I think he made a good choise.

I built alot of cars with my dad when I was growing up. The cars all came and went, but the memories I will have forever. That is what you are realy building. Cars are just metal, plastic and rubber. It's the time you spend together, the comeradory you will share and the memories you will make.

Just an FYI. 1971 was the first year for the Maverick "Grabber" with a total Grabber production of 38,963 for the year. If you're lucky, it'll have the 302. If not, that can be fixed. :-D Maybe a Hemi will fit! :snakeman:

I always liked the Grabber, light car with good power and looks good

Back in highschool my friends and I cruised around in a Maverick Grabber. Fun little car. Eventually, they pulled an 80's 5.0 and slapped it in there. That thing could get moving if it needed to. :)

I built alot of cars with my dad when I was growing up. The cars all came and went, but the memories I will have forever. That is what you are realy building. Cars are just metal, plastic and rubber. It's the time you spend together, the comeradory you will share and the memories you will make.

That's absolutely true!

Those are awesome cars actually. Fast too. And not too many of them around anymore.

Yeah .. you might want to put a speed governor on that bad boy! I had some scary times in my first car (or is this his first)... lucky I'm still here able to talk about it!

Could be worse could be a chevy..my 2 little girls are already trained ages 9 and 6, bring home nothing but an old mopar if you want to park in my driveway...

HAVE THE FRONT END CHECKED! I remember there was some defect in those early Mavericks. A Furd is a good car for a young one to learn on, no great loss when he realizes it's what it is.

Just an FYI. 1971 was the first year for the Maverick "Grabber" with a total Grabber production of 38,963 for the year. If you're lucky, it'll have the 302. If not, that can be fixed. :-D Maybe a Hemi will fit! :snakeman:
i thought all grabbers got the 302 as part of the package?? (all the grabbers i have seen were) i think those cars are cool imo.. (but i currently own several fords so my opinion is a little biased)

i couldnt agree more!!:cheers:

At least it will be a learning experience for him!Those cars are nice and light with the V8 in them.

They might not weigh allot but I sure hope his runs better than my 73 did. 302 C4 auto, 3.25 gear w/locker, 62,000 original miles. I tried racing a stock turbo Daytona once. Notice I said I tried. I'd say mine did good to break into the 15's. They did have ball joint problems. Mine were shot when I got it with only 62,000 miles on it. Make sure and check them out. Don't want no surprises running down the road.

It was good on gas though.

i thought all grabbers got the 302 as part of the package?? (all the grabbers i have seen were) i think those cars are cool imo.. (but i currently own several fords so my opinion is a little biased)

I thought so too, but the book I have lists two different shipping weights for Grabbers. One with a six cylinder & one with an eight cylinder. My book gives year to year changes for just about all U.S made cars from 1946 until 1975. It also says that the Grabber was available without a catalytic converter in 1975 if you opted for the larger 250 6 cylinder or the 302 V8.

Grabbers did come with either a 6 cylinder or 302. I knew a guy that had a 6cyl. version. Don't know what year it was but I'm sure it was an original 6cyl. Grabber. I always thought the Grabber package was nothing more than a decal package and the V8 was optional cause I also knew a guy with a plain Maverick with a 302 3 spd.

we brought it home yesterday spent most of yesterday cleaning it definetly needs brakes and a carb rebuilding maybe some other minor things eric is exicited about his new project kinda reminds me of myself i think we both were plus now my wife said that she wants her roadrunner now!!! yippie kinda funny how new projects bring on new ones i know there are alot of picture junkies on here i took acouple of pics yesterday gonna take some more today for him will post them on here if wanted [not being a mopar] dont want to trash the site lol

good start for a young guy/everyone can't have a mopar but it's ok here is the best kept secret for all old fords .find your self a granada or monarch and get the disc brakes and spindle assembly's they bolt right on you will also need the outer tie rod ends from the granada i have done this swap a number of times it's a great way to upgrade the brakes cheap/ now any 302 from 85 on up will most likely have a roller cam in it/ cores that are rebuildable can be found cheap too this could turn out to be a fun project for you both / best of luck!

heres some pics
KimTerrysPictures239.jpg
KimTerrysPictures240.jpg
KimTerrysPictures244.jpg

Neat old car.
Remember that when they came out, the 302 was just another emasculated smogger motor......... Stick a 302 crate motor in it and have fun.

-
Back