My home inspection of Speedmaster heads

-
Took some time to pin gauge the guides and mic the valve stems. Everything was very consistent, and looks good.

All guides were 0.3422-.3431 (0.342 on my + size pin gauge fit, .343 doesn't)

Measured all valves in four places, top and bottom, 90deg offset from each other (12/6 and 3/9) to check for taper and out of round (egg shaped)

All valves were round and straight within .0002, max measurements for each listed below

Intake:

Exhaust:

View attachment 1715438713 View attachment 1715438714 View attachment 1715438715
Not bad for Chinese junk... :thumbsup:...

You have two options as to why you have bald spots in a port.

Tool defection or the casting is big there already.

Snap gauges aren't my favorite tools, especially in places with compound curves, but I've been able to get repeat numbers that confirm the section missed by the CNC is because the casting was already big enough.

I'm seeing a .010-.020 difference, but that's within the margin of error with the tools I'm using, in the area I'm using them.

If you have a set of snap gauges and mics or calipers can you give me a measurement on what the cnc’d heads are at the intake pushrod pinch. Kinda curious

Snap gauges confirm my 1.013 finding, +- .005 across all the ports.

Just keep in mind if you are happy with the flow numbers you can always pour a port and make a mold of it. It may pay dividends down the road. Kinda nice seeing every part of the port in 3D.

Second head.

One guide that has a .... Tight spot. It won't cleanly pass .342, it's probably a few .0001 tight. All the rest were exactly as the first head.

Valves, found one exhaust valve with .001 taper, all the rest were tenths like the first head.

Intake:

Exhaust:
0.3408 - Taper down to 0.3398

Second head.

One guide that has a .... Tight spot. It won't cleanly pass .342, it's probably a few .0001 tight. All the rest were exactly as the first head.

Valves, found one exhaust valve with .001 taper, all the rest were tenths like the first head.

Intake:

Exhaust:
0.3408 - Taper down to 0.3398
you are doing great work, and I appreciate you sharing
:thumbsup:

there are so many good posts in this thread, it should be a sticky. I know Joey isn't a fan of sticky's, but what's in this thread can be applied to edelbrocks, etc...

On their way tomorrow.

IMG_20191216_163220.jpg

Using the large flat rate board game box you can ship 65 lbs for $19.99.

I use flat rate as much as possible, but the heads are too large for that box, it's only 3" tall. It was $39 to ship both of them in one box to VT, plus insurance using FedEX.

I use flat rate as much as possible, but the heads are too large for that box, it's only 3" tall. It was $39 to ship both of them in one box to VT, plus insurance using FedEX.

That's not a bad price.
I've been checking out the flat rate deal. If you can get it in the box and close it, without altering the size of the box, they will ship it. Flat rate is the shipping cost not the box shape.

The USPS box is bigger than the fedex flat rate box at 23 11/16 x 11 3/4 x 3 1/4. It will hold a m1 dual plane intake.

Last edited:
Just the xmas present I wanted, flow numbers.

Without getting too far off topic, that's a fancy case. Do you run a glide because of the sfi case or...?

I’ve been running glides since around 1990 or so. I switched to aftermarket cases three years ago after I cracked a stock case behind the reverse low gear clutch pack oiling the track. I hate being “that guy”.

I’ve been running glides since around 1990 or so. I switched to aftermarket cases three years ago after I cracked a stock case behind the reverse low gear clutch pack oiling the track. I hate being “that guy”.

I actually laughed at oiling the track once , and didn`t even pull over to the side. Of course I told them all what I thot about the quadzillion times a camaro dumped gas all over the starting line in front of me , and another guy blowing up a rat about every two week ends , along with all the other chevies and fords that that blew up..
I only did it twice , one a trans explosion on the starting line , the aforementioned one when the driveshaft came out on the big end, which got pretty hairy with 45 pounds in the front tires and one 14" slick with 7 pounds in it , the right rear slick was cut by the driveshaft explosion, biggest piece that we could find was about 10" long.
''I aint sure what this has got to do w/ speedmaster heads tho !----LOL

Picked up cylinder heads yesterday down in Indio CA......one set of SM and one set of Eddy....

i guess the SM did not need all new guides and seats....amazing...

Picked up cylinder heads yesterday down in Indio CA......one set of SM and one set of Eddy....

i guess the SM did not need all new guides and seats....amazing...
Latest question seems to be what is the date code on them and are they the same?..

One head is 2017,,,,have to look at the other later..i bought these back in 2018 on Black Friday

-
Back