my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
When I bought the Dart in my avatar it had 5.13s on a moser spool. Like a dummy I swapped it out to 4.88s. Should have keep the 5.13s for rhe street. 4.88 is more of a hiway gear. lol

I have 4.88 in my tubbed cuda' but I am pretty sure they are not staying there long, maybe go clear down to 3.73 in that one, twin turbos need long legs to spool.

I would have to stop for fuel a couple times in that 12 hours. but you keep rolling I'll catch back up to you.
20 mins in you gonna be overheating and stopping to let her cool!! Haha
At 70mph and 26 inch tires your turning over 4500 rpms. Continuously non stop for 12 hours. :eek:

If the big boys could keep those hemis and big block Chryslers cool running around an oval at about 200 miles an hour I'm sure I can keep a small block cool doing 75.

If the big boys could keep those hemis and big block Chryslers cool running around an oval at about 200 miles an hour I'm sure I can keep a small block cool doing 75.
Normally, nobody with 4.88's drives their car to the drag way if they live over 1/2 hour away. Just say'n...…….

Imo that's a huge difference!!!
Those engine where made to last one race and 500 miles and even then they didnt turn 4500rpm constantly! They let out in the turns Haha
Not to mention they have 200mpg of cooling air and race designed cooling ducts and huge radiators.

Its still snowing. Got about 5 in now.

Crap, my dad mowed my grass this week, because he is 75 years old and bored, he did it with his new push mower, why I have no idea, I have a perfectly good rider?

Normally, nobody with 4.88's drives their car to the drag way if they live over 1/2 hour away. Just say'n...…….

You are kidding right? My brothers Challenger with 513 and a 440, my 340 69 Dart with 4.88s Friend of mines 73 Duster 340 with 4.30 all street cars drove 30 miles to the track.
Petty much all summer long.
Never had a breakage we could not fix at the track an then drive home.
Mostly it was the 340 in the Dart liked to toss the fan belt at the track but never on the street. Usually on the 3-4 shift. Should have gone to an electric water pump drive motor but never did.

You are kidding right? My brothers Challenger with 513 and a 440, my 340 69 Dart with 4.88s Friend of mines 73 Duster 340 with 4.30 all street cars drove 30 miles to the track.
Mostly it was the 340 in the Dart liked to toss the fan belt at the track but never on the street. Usually on the 3-4 shift. Should have gone to an electric water pump drive motor but never did.

When I put the 4.30 in my Duster it will be trailered to the track, closest one is 3 hrs away.
I have the truck and trailer so why not?

was that highway or 45 mph zone driving??

So, you're driving your 4.88 geared Dart to meet me, 70 mph on I-74, correct? :D

Last edited:
When I put the 4.30 in my Duster it will be trailered to the track, closest one is 3 hrs away.
I have the truck and trailer so why not?
Correct. It's the way it's done. Gear 'em up, load 'em up !

Correct. It's the way it's done. Gear 'em up, load 'em up !

So true, why fight the thing at 70 mph, the Ram justs laughs at a trailer behind it at that speed.
Plus AC and a killer stero makes the miles go by faster.

was that highway or 45 mph zone driving??

So, you're driving your 4.88 geared duster to meet me, 70 mph on I-74, correct? :D
Country roads at about 55. 55 was the speed limit back then.
We would trailer the Dart sometimes to save time at the track. We would have it uncorked with the slicks on it with the 5.13s in it ready to go.

1555268986799-223148238.jpg

Looking at my driveway just now.
Still snowing.

-
Back