my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
Just to keep the record straight, I didn't go anywhere. I'm doing what I was doing years before websites, I'm pretty consistent. I was Roadkill before they made the Roadkill show. Like a Ford that was on it's way to the junkyard but we got it running and I worked the broken throttle cable with a grip plier through the hood from my window while the guy next to me shifted it and I worked the pedals. That was me, and those that know me know this. Or the '85 Caravelle that was on it's way to the junkyard but we took it and put a 125 dollar MP computer in it, bent the waste gate arm, fish bubbler, gutted it and ran 14.6's with a bad tranny that we had to let off so it would go into the next gear. I won't bore you with all the stories, but yes, this is who i was and who i am :)
just to keep the record double straight I didn't say you went anywhere or I went anywhere we just go in different ways of doing things....
Where you would metaphorically duct tape and bailing wire a car headed to the junkyard to keep it running, I would probably blow it all apart and put everything back together how it's supposed to be...
And also to keep the record straight I'm doing the same thing I've always done. take something mediocre and stock and customize the living crap out of it till it's a one-off vehicle...

Where you would metaphorically duct tape and bailing wire a car headed to the junkyard to keep it running, I would probably blow it all apart and put everything back together how it's supposed to be...
Naw... you'd scrap it because you are the scrapper...

I figure: Those with lots ( or maybe enough $$) of money spend whatever it takes to make their goal of whatever. Ie, the guy with the best of every thing when the best is not even needed. Overkill everything, always paying someone to do the work maybe. Kuddos to the guy that can write a check for it all.
Then here are those with not near so much money, gauge success as the most they an build from the least. Learning lal the tricks todo such is rewarding both in results and the pocketbook.The best results possible with the least amount of $$ spent.
No doubt anyone can get bored with what has been done and want to learn more. Learning is fun. But learning without spending all the big $$ makes it rewarding!!?
Pass the mayo.
Things can look a little cantered between 318 and I as far as budgets to go. I think our budgets are close to the same we can probably get what we wanted but we like to save money and get deals...
I just have my car and 318 has cars trucks van's motorcycles LOL and so forth...

Naw... you'd scrap it because you are the scrapper...
I should have parted that last truck and scrapped what was left. What did luckily sell it for what I wanted but never again...
If I come across a 73 or 74 Power Wagon club cab crew cab long bed I may start my own truck for myself...

Things can look a little cantered between 318 and I as far as budgets to go. I think our budgets are close to the same we can probably get what we wanted but we like to save money and get deals...
I just have my car and 318 has cars trucks van's motorcycles LOL and so forth...
deal'n on another over 500 miles from me..... Ooops, a little off topic. I need to post a picture of the Duster so we remember the topic :D

I should have parted that last truck and scrapped what was left. What did luckily sell it for what I wanted but never again...
If I come across a 73 or 74 Power Wagon club cab crew cab long bed I may start my own truck for myself...
Actually, I don't think you rated that sale fair. You tried selling it while the world was on lock-down with COVID, and jobs had stopped, uncertainty everywhere, and you STILL sold it. Really, you should reconsider your feelings about that sale.

I use YouTube all of the time. I must have been on there for technical advice at least twice today.. once for myself learning how to do my own AC charging and once for my customers brakes which was the biggest brake conundrum I've ever had...

Actually, I don't think you rated that sale fair. You tried selling it while the world was on lock-down with COVID, and jobs had stopped, uncertainty everywhere, and you STILL sold it. Really, you should reconsider your feelings about that sale.
No possible way I'll ever do that again. Again I went all different directions with those trucks and by far parting was the easiest fastest most trouble-free way to deal with them. The demographic that wants to buy these trucks are definitely the game playing tire kicking bullshitters of all vehicle buyers.. I was getting plenty of calls, but ALL tire kicking ho-hummers... the people will come right on here and say that's all part of the game. I just don't like playing that game especially after the amount of work I did..
The truck that I parted out I was having people call glad to buy the parts and glad to spend the money to get them...

No possible way I'll ever do that again. Again I went all different directions with those trucks and by far parting was the easiest fastest most trouble-free way to deal with them. The demographic that wants to buy these trucks are definitely the game playing tire kicking bullshitters of all vehicle buyers.. I was getting plenty of calls, but ALL tire kicking ho-hummers... the people will come right on here and say that's all part of the game. I just don't like playing that game especially after the amount of work I did..
The truck that I parted out I was having people call glad to buy the parts and glad to spend the money to get them...
well, if you'd had parted it out, I was interested in the 8.75 rear end :poke:.... anyways, all water under the bridge now. Truck is gone and your pockets are burst'n. :D

Just in case people forgot or are wondering, here is the car of topic of this thread....

luv the cold air mod
just kidding willitrun
had to say something to get on the list
but i do think those air cleaners are restrictive
you can change them when you raise them up with a tunnel ram or blower

luv the cold air mod
just kidding willitrun
had to say something to get on the list
but i do think those air cleaners are restrictive
you can change them when you raise them up with a tunnel ram or blower
only the Lord knows what will be next for this 318......
s-l400.jpg

Oh, the possibilities..........

I don't think that big block cross ram will work on a small block. But if anybody can do it you can.
A vote for the little guy.
they make a small block unit that adapts, but I'll just have to find it and post it....

Hey 318 willrun! Thanks for getting this post rolling! I think you inspired many to give their 318's a second look at the potential they hold.
I'm still in the build process at the present moment, but I got my heads all finished and will be on track to complete the whole build by the end of September!!
Thanks
G

Porting.jpg

Porting 2.jpg

Porting 3.jpg

Thanks for the thumbs up, that means a lot! I will be sure to post a few more pics along the way and some stats on the final numbers it cranks out! This is what it will be dropped into.

Tanner.jpg

-
Back