my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
I figured it be at least 6.3 to 7.4 liters by now.:D
The new engine will be more about "road performance" with an ET goal. Don't want to get into it all in this thread. I just get questions now and then about "updates" or "any plans for improvement" or "will there be a part 3" to the low dollar 318. Just putting it out there that the motor will be getting pulled in the near future, it's time in this car is done. At least for now... lol
  • Thanks, Low dollar 318 for all you've done.... your service was 2nd to none... turning the page :)

Last edited:
The new engine will be more about "road performance" with an ET goal. Don't want to get into it all in this thread. I just get questions now and then about "updates" or "any plans for improvement" or "will there be a part 3" to the low dollar 318. Just putting it out there that the motor will be getting pulled in the near future, it's time in this car is done. At least for now... lol
  • Thanks, Low dollar 318 for all you've done.... your service was 2nd to none... turning the page :)
Thanks for sharing this information. It really opened up my eyes. I apologize to everybody for me acting like a know it all, do I have lots to learn. Which year factory intake manifold and carburetor would be a good choice for a 318? Are there any good flowing exhaust manifolds that I could use. If I can't find a factory intake manifold, which aftermarket would be best to use? I think that I found a set of 360 heads, would they be a good choice for budget heads? I promise I won't come back as a know it all. I'm just wanting a fun car without spending a fortune, if I can run factory manifolds instead of headers and still get decent performance that would be great. What would be a cam similar to a 340? Again, sorry everyone that I was such a jerk.

I think that I'm on like the 4th page of your 318 article and I want to read it all eventually.

Thanks for sharing this information. It really opened up my eyes. I apologize to everybody for me acting like a know it all, do I have lots to learn. Which year factory intake manifold and carburetor would be a good choice for a 318? Are there any good flowing exhaust manifolds that I could use. If I can't find a factory intake manifold, which aftermarket would be best to use? I think that I found a set of 360 heads, would they be a good choice for budget heads? I promise I won't come back as a know it all. I'm just wanting a fun car without spending a fortune, if I can run factory manifolds instead of headers and still get decent performance that would be great. What would be a cam similar to a 340? Again, sorry everyone that I was such a jerk.
It's all ok, Dan. Pretty much any factory small block 4bbl set up from '68 - 84 would work great on a 318. No set of exhaust manifolds will flow like headers, however, manifolds and good dual exhaust will certainly help any stock 318. I've done 360 heads on 318, and I've always gained performance but I cut them .040. Keep the cam small in a mild 318 build. 212 @ 050 and .440 lift is a nice improvement. I have a lot of "low dollar- back yard" builds on my youtube channel. You might find some of them interesting. my channel is - 318willrun :)

It's all ok, Dan. Pretty much any factory small block 4bbl set up from '68 - 84 would work great on a 318. No set of exhaust manifolds will flow like headers, however, manifolds and good dual exhaust will certainly help any stock 318. I've done 360 heads on 318, and I've always gained performance but I cut them .040. Keep the cam small in a mild 318 build. 212 @ 050 and .440 lift is a nice improvement. I have a lot of "low dollar- back yard" builds on my youtube channel. You might find some of them interesting. my channel is - 318willrun :)
K. thanks

If I was to decide to run a aftermarket intake, what would be a good choice, edelbrock performer intake or a weiand action plus? I'm going to be checking out your 318willrun channel here soon.

If I was to decide to run a aftermarket intake, what would be a good choice, edelbrock performer intake or a weiand action plus? I'm going to be checking out your 318willrun channel here soon.
either intake would work great

Just thought I'd would give an update. The "Low Dollar 318" - (spent UNDER 500 on a stock 318 2bbl to run like a '73 340 Duster, which it did) is STILL running strong, still together, and not one issue or leak since installed in the Duster where it still resides. Bottom end was never rebuilt, all factory.
  • Fired it up May of 2016. Still running strong in June of 2023.
  • Still Smokin' Tires
  • Long Live 318's

Just thought I'd would give an update. The "Low Dollar 318" - (spent UNDER 500 on a stock 318 2bbl to run like a '73 340 Duster, which it did) is STILL running strong, still together, and not one issue or leak since installed in the Duster where it still resides. Bottom end was never rebuilt, all factory.
  • Fired it up May of 2016. Still running strong in June of 2023.
  • Still Smokin' Tires
  • Long Live 318's
Where did you spend the money

Where did you spend the money
honestly, every part and penny is in this thread. I think around page 4 or 5 is where the dollars are starting to be totaled. The list is added to as we went, so very easy to find and follow.

honestly, every part and penny is in this thread. I think around page 4 or 5 is where the dollars are starting to be totaled. The list is added to as we went, so very easy to find and follow.
My cheap phone doesn't want to bring up your videos, what cam did you use

My cheap phone doesn't want to bring up your videos, what cam did you use
Dan, they are not videos. They are posts. Start at post 105. Then post 111. Then post 112. Then keep looking through the pages, like i just did. All the details, part numbers, and prices of 2016 are listed. Every part, every penny. I didn't have a youtube channel when I started this build. I started the youtube channel BECAUSE of this build so I could show certain things.:)

I remember this when you started the YT channel. It’s been quite a ride for you huh?!?! I’ve enjoy the channel, keep it hot.

Perhaps Dan could use a helping link with the first video?

Go to his YT Dan. You’ll get to see a ton of content and him having some fun while he is at it.

I remember this when you started the YT channel. It’s been quite a ride for you huh?!?! I’ve enjoy the channel, keep it hot.

Go to his YT Dan. You’ll get to see a ton of content and him having some fun while he is at it.
Thanks. Funny in the begining how much I hated making the videos, no movie editor, etc. I remember I made a video on the camera for this thread and I couldn't post it. I was told "need to upload it to youtube". So, I started a youtube channel called Ummm Ummm because I thought it wouldn't be found and I could show the progress on this site. I didn't know the title of the video is how people found the video and NOT the channel name :D :D Eventually, I learned and now enjoy it. It is a nice addition to the hobby.

I agree! I’m trying to “One take” the videos now.
I tried a valve spring height micrometer, how to set up spring height.” Thing. I figured I’d show it off and how different shims get it right. Wrong! I used the correct shims for the correct height on the shoot. Screw it…. I’ll post it. But I think it gets the idea across.

I just reviewed the video on my phone and I can not hear myself.
Oh well, I’ll try again tomorrow maybe.

I think that 318willrun is very knowledgeable and I thank him for sharing his results with the 318. He's shown that the 318 can run and that it doesn't take big bucks to have fun with a 318.

I think that 318willrun is very knowledgeable and I thank him for sharing his results with the 318. He's shown that the 318 can run and that it doesn't take big bucks to have fun with a 318.
Exactly! That’s the whole point of it all. Have fun with what you got instead of dropping big bucks. Not everyone can throw money at go fast parts like the U.S. Government does at its problems, real problems or not!

Maybe one day you’ll be able to just throw a fist full of cash at a super charged stroker and not care. Until that lotto ticket comes in….. some of us have to live and work with what we got. If all you have is spare change and a 318, then that’s what you got and that’s that. No reason to crap on a guy, shame them and make jokes about it. Sometimes it is what it is.

I’m just glad SOME GUYS GET IT!

Who would think basic hot rodding makes your car faster, don't know how he does it with only 318 cubic inch, over carburetion, low cr, poor V/P index, highway gears, factory stall etc... :)

Who would think basic hot rodding makes your car faster, don't know how he does it with only 318 cubic inch, over carburetion, low cr, poor V/P index, highway gears, factory stall etc... :)
I don't know either but he does

-
Back