o1heavy1974 dart sport

Combo 408
Indy/rhs heads Brian CNC'ed ported
10.5 compression
Solid roller 680ish @260
Electric water pump
1 7/8 headers
950 hp Holley ( haven't bought yet)
727 rmvb 5200-5500 convertor (still up in air).
Indy intake ported
8 3/4 4:10 gear. Will be street driven
Really wanting it to run 6.70s

This is combo but now have added
Fiberglass
Hood,bumbers,and deck lid
And on the Convertor I went with a ptc 5000
So what I'm saying I will pushing this 550ish horsepower stroker with factory port designed heads
As hard as I can while shooting for max ET it will make a few short drives
I feel like I have a crap ton of money in the engine hopefully it will deliver

img_0596-jpg.1714993099

img_0594-jpg.1714993100

Car has been mini tubed tire is 325x50x15. Has front HDK double adjustable coil over set up. Leaf springs with QA-1 double adjustable shocks on rear. 8 3/4 with 4:30 gears. CRT super pro II trans(904) with trans brake and ptc converter.

I kinda feel like you will reach your goal and then some with that setup
Be sure to post some of the shake down passes of that hotrod please

01heavey that is a real nice looking dart. Engine sounds very similar to mine but with a much bigger cam. I'm very happy with mine really the only reason I want more is because my dads 410 made 635hp and 550tq. However he can't run pump gas.

I understand. I just want more. Lol
Everyone is going faster in my crowed

01heavey that is a real nice looking dart. Engine sounds very similar to mine but with a much bigger cam. I'm very happy with mine really the only reason I want more is because my dads 410 made 635hp and 550tq. However he can't run pump gas.

Was the engine builder aware of your goals? Either way, at 3200 lbs, a true 550 oughtta be plenty to run deep into the 10s. Keep us posted!

He was aware but is in no way at fault. He only did what I asked. I wanted it to run on the street more than the track so pump gas was a must.

He was aware but is in no way at fault. He only did what I asked. I wanted it to run on the street more than the track so pump gas was a must.

You will soon find out that many people who think they have 500 HP don't have 500 HP. There is more bullshit out there than truth.

Every car should have to run over the scale after a pass and anyone that wants to should be able to see what it weighs. A lot less bulllshit would occur if that were the case.

You will soon find out that many people who think they have 500 HP don't have 500 HP. There is more bullshit out there than truth.

Every car should have to run over the scale after a pass and anyone that wants to should be able to see what it weighs. A lot less bulllshit would occur if that were the case.
Agree.....reminds me of another fellow on here with a "550" or so claimed HP engine that runs like 115 @ 3100 lbs.....

Are you saying the dyno lies

A dyno, like a flow bench can not lie. But the operator can. So can the car owner.

I cut a letter to the editor out of a magazine back in 1983 when I was in the Army. I carried that thing with me for decades. I'd love to find it and make a copy of it. It was called "11 Second Mouths" and I had many a drunk idiot read it out loud at parties and such. It stopped quite a few fights. It pointed out how many guys have no idea how much power they have or even what their junk runs.

Machines don't lie. Humans do.

I would like to make one addition to yellow roses post and it's not so much that people or dyno operators lie, but sometimes it's a matter of how it's done and how well it is calibrated. Some dyno's are known to be stingy, some are known to be happy.

You just want accurate readings well running & tuned engine.

Ugh! Connection issues! Trying to edit for 15 minutes already! Geeeeez!

I was going to add ...

By yea, dyno operators can lie. People mostly just don't know any better and base there HP off of Magazine stories, what the other guy claims because there's is a super close build or the tracks Slips.

The track isn't exactly a truth teller ether. But for certain, and excellent gauge.

IMO a dyno is just a tool. Get a baseline, make a change and test again. I dynoed my engine with that in mind.

Yes the mph at the drag strip is a better gauge, but not a true measure either. Take a 550 hp engine in a typical built 3300# street/strip car and run it, then run it in a 3300# SS chassis and see what happens.

Thats why shoot for a higher goal if you want 500-550 HP ... go for 600 -625 HP... i guess..

IMO a dyno is just a tool. Get a baseline, make a change and test again. I dynoed my engine with that in mind.

Yes the mph at the drag strip is a better gauge, but not a true measure either. Take a 550 hp engine in a typical built 3300# street/strip car and run it, then run it in a 3300# SS chassis and see what happens.
They will still trap at a similar speed

Thank you to all for the comments and information I have received. I will update after I put a few shake down runs on it.

This isn't a dig at anyone here. Just my personal experience.

For every guy I meet that says "I want to run 600 horse on the street" I ask them a very simple question.

Have you run 400 horse on the street? If they say no. Then I laugh and walk away. First off because if you haven't run 400 horse on the street. How will you know what 600 horse is like? You won't. My car makes a little over 400. And I've scared the **** out of a best friend who's gone nearly 300kmh on a hayabusa. Second. If you haven't driven 400 horse on the street. How do you think you'll handle 600? My car in itself is a handful. Spits of rain? Can't do more than 1/4 throttle on any corner. Light gravel? Roast the tires over 1/4 throttle. Anything past 1/4 throttle in first or 1/2 throttle in second, roast the tires. Mat it in third? Highway speeds in a couple seconds. 400/500/600 horse is a lot of power on the street. And people don't realize that because it seems like these days everyone has a 600 horse something or other.

I guarantee right now there are a lot of "600 horse" cars sitting in junkyards cause shortly after they were finished they were promptly wrapped around a pole.

My 69 Dart swinger has 300 HP ... and it is far from a scary ride... cannot see going to 400 HP being that much different/scarier ... now if you go from 300 HP to a 500-600 HP engine that i would think differently ...
I would agree that over 500 HP can be a stressful ride in certain circumstances ... I frequently drive 600 Plus vehicles in a curb weight of 3500-4500 lbs and even then i have had times that could of gone wrong ...

It depends on if it is a modern car with 500+ HP or a 69 4sp A-Body... I sell high end car and get to drive Porsche turbo's , AMG Mercedes , Jag F Type Rs , Acura NSX's and occasional Farraris/ Lambo's etc.. I just jumped in a Scat Pak Challenger last Saturday to run to a FABO members house to buy a part from him. It's not the same as driving a 3000# Dart with a 4 sp and 580 ft-lbs torque ! That can be scary !
You have to be careful...

-
Back