My New '69 Barracuda

-

GR5

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just took delivery of this 1969 Barracuda convertible. I wanted a car the whole family could ride in and my wife wanted a convertible so this was the perfect choice. It is even better because ever since I was young I always wanted a blue A-body Barracuda. I use to have a picture of one just like this as my screensaver.

It's not perfect, some of the trim, the grill and the rear panel needs work but it's a driver. The plan is to use it often. The 318 sounds and feels strong and the automatic shifts well.

It does have power steering but manual drum brakes. I've done some research on this website and I think the first upgrade will be the KH front disc brake swap. My wife plans to drive it also so I was thinking about a power brake upgrade, but from what I've read it sounds like keeping it manual with the front disc brakes will be enough.

Just wanted to share it with you, thanks for looking.

Mike

Barracuda1.jpg

Barracuda2.jpg

Beautiful Mike. I'm certain you will take care of those small issues

K-H brakes are a good choice and you don't have to change the wheels. No power needed, KISS principle.
When it comes to 2nd Gen verts, I think the 69 looks the best of the 3 years.

great looking ride...im sure that will get your post count up
:poke:

Nice Cuda,nice color! Let me know bout the kh disc upgrade. I'm considering it for my new Cuda too that I got bout 3 weeks ago. Again, nice car.

Sweet ride. I am in the process of adding KH's to my 68, lots of good info in the brake subforum on FABO. If you end up rebuilding your own calipers my restoration thread has some pics and documentation on that process.

Thanks for all the replies, it is nice to have such a great community like the one here. The plan is to make this car a reliable driver.

I have read the articles in the tech forums on the brake conversion and I have a list of the parts I need. Does anyone have any recommendation on the master cylinder? I'm wondering if I should use a different diameter in order to reduce the pedal pressure needed. It is fine for me but I think it's a little too much pressure for my wife, and she plans to drive it as much or more than me.

Thanks,
Mike

15/16 is what I run, with a booster. Excellent feel. Very progressive, moderate force required. Not over assisted like most Mopes. You will need a proportioning valve; either one from a 73 type car which has a built in safety switch, or a stand alone adjustable one. This is to reduce rear pressure so they don't lock-up first., which they say induces the car to spin.
I found with 275 tires on the back and 235s up front, and 7/8 rear wheel cylinders, I did not need this item. I love my KHers and rear 10s

Love the color combo. As for the brakes, buy yourself a little time if you can and a complete used setup may show up for sale on here. I just did the swap on my Duster and went with Hydroboost but it's not for everyone so you would want to do your research. A/J is right about the vacuum. It would be fine with a booster.

Good luck and have fun with it....

JW

Welcome aboard Mike. 69 ragtop owner as well as a 67 fastback here.
Love the blue with white top.
Post ads for the parts you need. The sooner the better.
My 67 has factory manual disc and they work just fine.
Enjoy!

Smaller bore makes for an easier pedal. 15/16 is a typical choice. These MCs will be listed as "power disc brake", but they are identical (except for the booster and pushrod).

Factory with K-H manual discs was 1-1/16 (1-1/32?) -- that took some serious boot. I still run that on my FB, but my 'vert has the 15/16, and I like it.

Thanks for all the replies, it is nice to have such a great community like the one here. The plan is to make this car a reliable driver.

I have read the articles in the tech forums on the brake conversion and I have a list of the parts I need. Does anyone have any recommendation on the master cylinder? I'm wondering if I should use a different diameter in order to reduce the pedal pressure needed. It is fine for me but I think it's a little too much pressure for my wife, and she plans to drive it as much or more than me.

Thanks everyone. Looks like manual KH disc brakes with a 15/16" master cylinder is the way to go. It sounds like the pedal pressure will be fine, and if not I can always go the power route. I enjoy working on them so that would just give me another excuse to go out to the garage.

I was at a swap meet yesterday and didn't see any brake part components so I'll be watching the classifieds here.

Thanks again,
Mike

Very nice looking car. The first time you are out with the top down, warm sun on your face and wind in your hair you will be glad you bought it.

I bought my vert five years ago, somebody in it's past had already made it shiny, but it needed a lot of mechanical and a little bit of electrical attention. I swapped on the KH discs in the second year I had it. Definitely worth doing. Found them here in the classified ads, they seem to show up fairly regularly.

FWIW my mom had no problem driving my '70 Duster with manual front discs; when I first got the car it was the only other car our family had and my mom had just gotten a part-time job so she needed something to commute in lol. Her problem was stalling at every stoplight because that old POS carburetor was, well, a POS lol

Hello All,

I just took delivery of this 1969 Barracuda convertible. I wanted a car the whole family could ride in and my wife wanted a convertible so this was the perfect choice. It is even better because ever since I was young I always wanted a blue A-body Barracuda. I use to have a picture of one just like this as my screensaver.

It's not perfect, some of the trim, the grill and the rear panel needs work but it's a driver. The plan is to use it often. The 318 sounds and feels strong and the automatic shifts well.

It does have power steering but manual drum brakes. I've done some research on this website and I think the first upgrade will be the KH front disc brake swap. My wife plans to drive it also so I was thinking about a power brake upgrade, but from what I've read it sounds like keeping it manual with the front disc brakes will be enough.

Just wanted to share it with you, thanks for looking.

Mike

View attachment 1715042420
View attachment 1715042421

Very nice. Here is my 69. Also I have a facebook group dedicated to 67-68 and 69 Barracuda-s called Fish Tales. Check us out. Great cars and members.

69 at Rod's Sept. 2016.jpg

-
Back