My New Ride

-

75dartsport

Reaction score
Not new to here been a member for a while, but have went the last year without my Dart Sport. So I didn't spend much time on here. Good news is I'm back. Picked up my new ride a couple of weeks ago. Was looking for something more streetable than the last one. More driver friendly. Here is what I found. 1970 Plymouth Duster. Originally it was a darker green with green interior. Was painted in the early 80's a sassy or go green with black stripe. 360 auto. 8-3/4 with 3.91 gear. Pretty quick car. Took it to the track last wed. night. Tell me what you think.

Attachments

• duster2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 427
It's a little blurry but looks good. Not much imfo but I'll take a shot in the dark 13.00

Attachments

• P7110053.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 380
one more try

Attachments

• IMG-20110911-00139.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 373
Finally!!!!!!!!! Ran it in the 1/8th. Through the exhaust. Never used 3rd gear. Shifting at 6000 and only turning 5600 in second. Have a fuel issue it would start to run out of fuel about 5300 in second. Need to check float level and jetting. Not sure where the timing is, wanted to make some passes without messing with it. Like to have a starting point. It ran consistent. 8.34 right off the trailer and 8.21 last 2 passes. I think there is alot more in it. Needs some minor tuning.

Another one

Attachments

• IMG-20110911-00133.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 387
Put a new carb on it, and set the timing at 36 total was at 40. Going to see what kind of difference itll make.

Finally!!!!!!!!! Ran it in the 1/8th. Through the exhaust. Never used 3rd gear. Shifting at 6000 and only turning 5600 in second. Have a fuel issue it would start to run out of fuel about 5300 in second. Need to check float level and jetting. Not sure where the timing is, wanted to make some passes without messing with it. Like to have a starting point. It ran consistent. 8.34 right off the trailer and 8.21 last 2 passes. I think there is alot more in it. Needs some minor tuning.

That is a very quick car for what it is. Must have been a cool night. I run out of RPM in 2nd at 6200 and hit 3rd and still am slower than those times. What were your 60 ft times?

Quickest 60ft was a 1.838 slowest 60' was a 1.889. My old Dart Sport had a quicker 60' it ran high 1.7's, but was only half a tenth faster in the 1/8th. It was a 4 speed, and, had a bigger cam and open headers, and a 4.88 gear. Car is quick for what it is. It was about 65 degrees out when i was making its last passes it was 70 when we started.

Hoping to make some passes tomorrow night with the new carb and less timing. I'll keep u all updated.

I know it is a stretch, but i'm shooting for 7.80's without changing the drivability. I good friend is running a 62 nova with a 355 tunnelram 2 4's. He is running 7.80's. He is running slicks car is stripped out. Basically a drag car. I would like to run with him through the exhaust full interior. He says no way, but he also predicted that I wouldn't make a pass under 8.80.

Got an 8.15 out of it with the new carb. 60' was 1.810. Ran better didn't run out of gas. Still didn't need 3rd gear. Shifted at 6000 and was running about that at the end. My shift light would just come on. I tried short shifting it at 5800 and it slowed down. Tried shifting at 6200 and it slowed down so 6000 is its sweet spot. Really need a 7.80 out of it. I don't want to take away any drivability. I have always hated nitrous, but have read alot on it in the last week and am thinking about a 125 shot. They claim a fairly stock motor with cast pistons will last if tuned right at a 125 shot. I have the MSD ignition that will retard the timing as soon as I turn the nitrous on. So that is nice. Just wondering if a 125 shot will get me down to a 7.80 I really don't want much faster, Our track requires a cage at 7.50. And I want to leave the car stock looking. Some opinions on the nitrous please.

Nice running car. I think nitrous would help but not sure how much quicker it would get you.

What I like about your photos is your garage. Any indoor workshop with enough floor space and roof height for a basketball hoop and cars is tops in my book.

Being born and raised in SoCal, my bball hoop was on the roof of the garage and was unusable during rain or the dead of winter when the temperatures would plunge down into the bone-chilling low 50s. LOL

Welcome back.

1. We need pics in the sun to see how the green really looks!!(looks good in the shade)
2.You want it more street friendly,leave it as it is !!Drive it to go play at the track,get back in and drive it back home !!Doesn't get anymore user friendly than that !!And it's easier on the wallet too !!

Beautiful car none the less !!I miss my '71 340 Duster !!:wav:

The paint looks better in the pictures. It is a 30 year old paint job, its faded a little. Very solid car though. No rust underneith anywhere. Not really any surface rust underneith either. Really thinking about a set of ralleys. If I can find a set of 15" with the small bolt pattern and 8" for the back.. Really make it look more stock.

Thanks for the comments guys. Always a good bunch around here.

-
Back