my new trailer tore up pissed

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I bought this new 24' car trailer back a couple of months ago to trailer my Duster down to " Cruisin the Coast " in October and I have not had a chance yet to put my box or winch on. Hell, I haven't even had my car on it yet. My oldest son comes up and tells me that he needed to use my trailer to haul some steel. I told him to use my 16' trailer and he told me that some of the stuff was 24' long. A place where he goes to on his job has scrap steel and told him if he wanted to haul it to the scrap yard, they could split the profit 60/40 in his favor. Were talking over 30,000 lbs. I had reservations about this because I knew something was going to happen to this trailer. I knew it. But, since I was going to have one of the trailers and be there, I felt a little better.
We both went up and put on about 8000 lbs on each trailer the first day. Everything went ok. The second day, I took the small stuff and he loaded another 8000 on the new trailer and didn't get it off at the scrap yard because they were closed. He went back the next day to finish unloading and I stayed at his house doing some remodeling. I told him not to scratch the trailer. This was 24' racks banded together and 5 loose pieces on the side. He got back home and walked in and said " ok, come out here and look at the trailer and lets get this over with ". I had no idea what he was talking about until I went out the door.
They was going to lift this with the magnet. Chris told them that wouldn't work. They needed to use a fork truck on the 5 loose pieces. The operator wouldn't listen to my son as he had hauled these before and decided he was going to use a picker to get them off. As soon as they cleared the trailer a couple of the racks let loose and came down on the right fender crushing it. My son was headed for the lift when they stopped him. They came out, took pictures, talked to the manager. There is a waiver posted on the wall that they are held harmless for damages that occur. BUT, because of their negligence and the fact that this was a new trailer, first time in use, he told my son to get a couple of estimates and he would take care of the damages. Both damages were over a $1000 each.
I turned them in Monday morning to the manager. He called me this afternoon and told me to come in tomorrow morning and pick up the check. The only thing that was hurt was the fender. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• DSC08339.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC08340.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 395
  • DSC08338.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC08347.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 383
  • DSC08341.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 377
Gotta love it when know-it-alls don't listen and s#it happens!

$1000 should easly cover the repair costs. Good of the manager to be so lenient with you. Out of curiosity, what's the cost of a new fender??

$1000 should easly cover the repair costs. Good of the manager to be so lenient with you. Out of curiosity, what's the cost of a new fender??

i usually don't chime in on general discussion threads but i have to agree you made out super good on this deal. I have purchased diamond plate replacement trailer fenders for $100 a piece. A $1000 check, (when they could have probably fought you tooth and nail) i think you made out like a bandit.

Beat it back out, it will not be the last time.

A good body man could fix that for 250 bucks. Hard to believe they,d pay off 1000. if they looked at it

dings and scratches a re " badges of honor", keep the $1000 and buy some needed mopar parts!!!! just shows it used and not a show poodle!! IMO

daredevil, that's what we do here. Body work and paint. I took the trailer to a body shop and got an estimate. I then submitted an estimate from my shop that was less than the other one. Fender is on and will be painted tonight. I called the mfg. of the trailer and they shipped me a new fender. The cost of the fender was supposed to be $130.00 shipped. I gave them my credit card for payment. since I bought the trailer from them, the total cost of the fender with shipping was $81.50. I have $75.00 tied up in primer , paint, clear coat including supplies. But man was that a pain in the *** to get the old one off and welds ground down. most of the cost was in labor. And Grant, it will not happen again like that. The only thing going on this trailer again will be one of my cars. although we put a little over $1000 in our pocket from the scrap, I don't want to haul it with this trailer. may look in to getting another 24' trailer if we keep doing that. I think it would be worth it.

Wish my trailer looked that good. Last time I used it had a blow out, folded the end of the fender over and popped a big dent in it. From hauling it to and from AZ/Washington there aint much paint left on the front of it. Ramps are bent from loading a Skid Steer on it....it is only a trailer....

You made out like a bandit. I wouldnt go back there with scrap again, they will get their $1000 back out of you if you do

This guy, trudysduster, is someone who maintains his stuff, and it shows. Glad you were able to get it taken care of with a tolerable level of aggravation.

I once loaned out my engine hoist to a friend.

I get it back and the bar won't fit over the cylinder valve to release the pressure and lower the boom. He used it as a pry bar and pinched the ends together...

One of the reasons that I don't loan out my equipment any more....

I was at the scrap yard a few years ago and a fork lift carrying a long object ran the object into the passenger door of my truck. Manger came out said get an estimate - I got two 800 and 1200 they cut me a check for $1000. On my lunch break at work the next day I pulled the inner door panel off and pushed the dent out with my hand. The following weekend l bought my first used snowmobile. Stuff happens :D

If I ever pull the fenders off mine, they are gonna get BOLTED back on LOL.

I will have about 10 hours total labor in it time it is done and about $150 in material. I didn't get hurt at all on it but still the idea that the new trailer was damaged before I used it . I have decided to paint the entire trailer while it is in the garage and take off the white pin stripes the factory put on it. They didn't do the best job painting it from the factory. I am also going to put some graphics on it while I have time. Going to go ahead and put the box and winch on along with the D rings. get it done while I have the time allotted for it. The Duster gets tore down next week with a new paint job and the new Schumacher motor mounts.

We've had the exact same thing happen to us on other trailers.. that's why on this new one we made sure the fenders were quick release

-
Back