My RHD Barracuda

-

Britfish

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I've posted some pics of my RHD that I've owned now for some 13 years and now getting around to get some goodness done.

Post your thoughts or questions and if anyone knows of another RHD (I know of one in NY) here in the states let me know.

Regards,

John Sullivan
Seattle, WA
1-425-220-8663

1968 RHD Barracuda Pics 023.jpg

1968 RHD Barracuda Pics 024.jpg

1968 RHD Barracuda Pics 031.jpg

1968 RHD Barracuda Pics 034.jpg

Oh YEAH! That is way cool. My favorite A in a righty. Would work for me since I'm a lefty (just in case you don't think you could drive it..lol). Love to see a pic of the Rallye dash.. thats got to be hard to find. Really like the factory mags too. Always nice on the 68. That is one low serial # too. Thanks for sharing this one!!

Grant

Very cool Barracuda John! There's nothing like taking a car that you really love and having the additional twist of it being an export car with RHD. I have always wondered about the tag to the right of the fender tag. I have one on my '71 'Cuda (which was a military purchase). I am wondering if these found there way onto special order cars (ie. exports, military, etc.). Anyone know?

Hey Everyone!

I've posted some pics of my RHD that I've owned now for some 13 years and now getting around to get some goodness done.

Post your thoughts or questions and if anyone knows of another RHD (I know of one in NY) here in the states let me know.

Regards,

John Sullivan
Seattle, WA
1-425-220-8663

Whats on your fender tag.......

ENGINE: 318cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: Unknown tire code
BUILD DATE: August S6.
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: High Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Red Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Silver Metallic Paint.
OTHER: Burgundy Metallic Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
D9: Front Disk Brakes
H1: Power Brakes
S9: Unknown Option
Y1: Black Convertible Top

abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
r0: Unknown Option
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)
w7: Build to Spec's for Export

That is cool, I bet if you restore it, it could get good money if you sold it back overseas.

Hey Flyboy01,

Thanks for the props, you have to see the vision, as I say to my wife.

From my understanding my car actually has less value in that sense in the UK as a RhD. Folks there want that car as a LHD. To them thats what makes it special , just like here for me I suppose.

That sure is a keeper in my book.:toothy7:
Never seen a barracuda car in person or drove a right handed car.
Thanks for posting!!
That is an incredible car.:blob:

Hey Flyboy01,

Thanks for the props, you have to see the vision, as I say to my wife.

From my understanding my car actually has less value in that sense in the UK as a RhD. Folks there want that car as a LHD. To them thats what makes it special , just like here for me I suppose.

Actually I was thinking Australia.

Hey Tweety!!

Long time no chat, glad to here from you again.

So is the GTR as much fun as the Cuda??

Actually have a friend here in Seattle that just imported a RHD GTR. I'll tell ya those Skylines are stupid fun to ride in. Its amazing to say the least.

How about some interior pics of RHD cars since thats where most of the differnce is. Never was a rallye instument panel for those as far as I know. Correct me of I'm wrong.

...... or drove a right handed car.

That is an incredible car.:blob:

Never mind driving a RHD car... being a PASSENGER is what's un-nerving. Being there's no pedals or steering wheel, you start freaking out very early in the cruise. I know from experience....:shock:

VERY cool car! Can I have it?:love4:

Redfish,

You are correct their were NO rally dashes in any US built RHD for UK export. Can't vouch for the ones in Australia though but I would suspect that they were not but i am not 100% on that.

I've attach pics of my dash as requested. Any idea's??

Britfish Resto040.jpg

Britfish Resto041.jpg

Britfish Resto042.jpg

Britfish Resto043.jpg

Britfish Resto044.jpg

To the mods on this site, if I am doing anything to hamper the function of this site with the pics i've be posting let me know as I've been noticing and just realized that I am the only one posting large pics.

So it seems that for years I've been trying to nail down which way to go with this restoration project. But like life, it nevers goes the way you want or expect.

I dont really wish to deviate from the classic feel of the car but because of the nature of the RHD layout I am forced to lean towards safety first then coolness.

I've decided to upgrade to a rack only because it makes sense. I've found a company called Unisteer that offers an upgrade that bolts on to the existing K-frame. The actual rack itself would have to be flipped for the RHD which is fine. This system would retain the torsion bars.

Has anyone ever delt with Unisteer? Or should I just spend the additional $$ and go with the newer coil systems on the market today?

The

If you need any RHD trim bits I have a bunch around here, I did the ALterK front end deal on mine, I'm still waiting for the new RHD rack from Flaming River though. As for skyline vs cuda, no comment- although Norm (Mopar 71) will tell you quite how fast that little car is around the lanes here and it's got a LOT fast since then...

Thanks for the interior pics. Really cool to see this. One thing that seems a little different is the ignition key position. I thought it might be on the left..

Grant

Maybe we'll see you at a car run or two, after you get it on the road. Looks to be a very solid project. Howard Renton Wa

I've posted some more pics of her, funny how us guys always refer to our cars as girls.

Must be why our better halves sometimes consider them "Our
Mistress".

First pic is of the firewall . As you can see aside from the obvious is that the wiper motor recess is reversed and the wiper posts are at the opposite end of the cowl. And of course the lack of a steering box mount on the k-frame

Here's whats typical on RHD cars that went to the UK. Its was a typical Chrysler move of the day to do the least with what they would never see again.

If this practice had been done for their models here it would have ended up like the corvair................done and gone!

What they would do was notch out a section of the framerail then insert this piece that had the mount for the steering box to it.

Of course it was thinner gage then that of the framerail and taking into account the brake cylinder leaking thats was also typical and of course the side to side movement the framerail experienced from the box going lock to lock its no surprised they tore like pop cans.

Gota love mother mopar back in the day!

That area has since been replaced with new metal. Hence the reason for upgrading to a rack for safety.

I also had a pic of a rhd 67 that was taken sometime ago on the east coast.

Hey tweety is this the one you spoke of? And send me a list of the parts you have...please!!

Britfish Resto029.jpg

Britfish Resto025.jpg

Britfish Resto026.jpg

NJ cuda 1[1].JPG

Heres a pic of the right-hand side framerail after the removal and replacement of the swiss cheese mount with a new aftermarket subframe repair kit from Auto Rust Technicians.

They're a great company to deal with. And the repair went great. If I decide to re-install the box in its orginal location at least that area will be rock solid!

P1010881.jpg

P1010882.jpg

Hey everyone!

Man this was a treat, right after the new year had a chance to speak with the orginal owner's (now deceased) daughter who was quite surprised to hear that her dads beloved Barracuda was now residing in the USA and had been since 1996.

She had sold it to the gent I purchased the car from. He owned since 1993, right after Leo (the owner) had passed away when he bought it at an estate sale.

She sent me some fantastic pics of the car but I think the best one is this one, of her dad in 1969-1970 with the car.

Gotta love those crazy brits!

John

Orginial owner Leo Landseer and the Cuda 001.jpg

-
Back