My rotor is "short".

-

adriver

Blazing Apostle
Reaction score
There's a good laugh for you.
I’m having trouble finding the “correct” rotor. Or at least the better one I’m looking for.
The tan one is an old Accel. Years ago it was the only one I could count on being longer and eliminating the gap between the terminals.
In my experience, it makes a difference with the stock low energy ignition.
I didn’t even realize my plugs were toast till they were not there anymore with the longer rotor in the car.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=270933
And I can tell the difference in "power". (Don't go there)
The assistant manager at Autozone said he couldn’t get the 19.99 one so we tried the HD black cap and rotor. Same problem..
So, I’m looking for a known source for brass terminals. Not aluminum and a longer rotor.
But I don’t want to go to the trouble of ordering one to find out, if possible.

This product is a fit for your:
1973 Dodge Dart 5.2L 2BL 8cyl

Part Number: 8321

This product is a fit for your:
1973 Dodge Dart 5.2L 2BL 8cyl

Part Number: 8320

Attachments

• IMG_20140327_093124 (Large).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 582
  • accel.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 490
  • Accel HD.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_20140327_094144 (Large).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_20140327_094033 (Large).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_20140327_093608 (Large).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_20140327_093417 (Large).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_20140327_093355 (Large).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 508
My brother-n-law always says "it may not be very big around,but it sure is short"......

I don't know. I'm behind the times, and in the last five years there's been a LOT of changes, even in what "we thought" were the solid old brands of NAPA / Echlin and Standard / Blue Streak. Keep updating this on what you find. "You might have to pay"

Oh my.
And how does she feel about that?:eek:ops:

Focus, focus adriver.
I need to focus here.
Well he's a dam liar according to her it's way the opposite,she claimed their 1st yr being together she felt like boiled macoroni...lol...now back to that rotor...

I have posted in threads to make sure your rotor and cap are a match, yes I have seen this many times, and learned it the hard way about 8 years ago.

NAPA Echlin rotor # MO3000. .060" longer tip

As I said...................There's "talk" around the forums that you may get a reboxed part, and you may get the correct part, here...........

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=146514

A partial quote.........................

"I went to my local Napa store to order a mo3000 and after a week of waiting they told me that they couldnt get it,so rather than arguing I went to Napaonline.com and found the part no. and description listing it as a hi-performance rotor button.I ordered 3 rotors ,was in stock and shipped the next day.Great.
So my box arrives today and I open up to find an older Napa/Echlin box(blue/orange/white box) and two modern Napa/Echlin boxes,all three with the correct mo3000 pt.no.
I open the older box first and find a dark tan rotor with an extended tip,cool.I then open one of the newer boxes and find a white rotor that has a wider body and standard length tip,I open the other new box and find another rotor just like the second one.I look at all three boxes again and they all have the mo3000 pt.no"

Does anybody make decent parts anymore? We don't have a Napa here. Just O'Rielly (known for junk), and AutoZone (maybe a little higher grade of junk). One of the shops I deal with gave up on both, and just goes to the dealer for most parts.

One shot that might be worth trying is Accel. They show in their cat.............

120326 V8 cap

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-120326?seid=srese1&gclid=CLfUgMbrs70CFYqIfgodL00AJQ

130319 6 or V8 rotor

Oops.........N/A

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-130319

8326 6 cyl. "performance tan" cap and rotor kit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-8320?seid=srese1&gclid=CLrzmoXss70CFY17fgodCDMACw

8320 8 cyl "performance tan" cap and rotor kit

8321 8 cyl blk / grey cap / rotor kit

Don't know if these are the "long" rotors.

As I said...................There's "talk" around the forums that you may get a reboxed part, and you may get the correct part, here...........

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=146514

A partial quote.........................

"I went to my local Napa store to order a mo3000 and after a week of waiting they told me that they couldnt get it,so rather than arguing I went to Napaonline.com and found the part no. and description listing it as a hi-performance rotor button.I ordered 3 rotors ,was in stock and shipped the next day.Great.
So my box arrives today and I open up to find an older Napa/Echlin box(blue/orange/white box) and two modern Napa/Echlin boxes,all three with the correct mo3000 pt.no.
I open the older box first and find a dark tan rotor with an extended tip,cool.I then open one of the newer boxes and find a white rotor that has a wider body and standard length tip,I open the other new box and find another rotor just like the second one.I look at all three boxes again and they all have the mo3000 pt.no"
just tring to help out, that post you refer to is from 07. The number I list is for the extended tip rotor, I suggest bringing an old rotor to napa and if the one they hand you is longer buy it or a couple. I am aware of the problem with the number not matching the part on a few documented times

I hope you keep us updated with what part numbers work and what does not, as it's evident that "things change." I've even contemplated attempting to modify short rotors!!!!

I hope you keep us updated with what part numbers work and what does not, as it's evident that "things change." I've even contemplated attempting to modify short rotors!!!!

I havn't had any problems getting the Napa MO3000 like mentioned above.
Fortunatly, it's pretty easy to tell by looking at it, as the amount that the tip sticks over the plastic casting is a noticable distance.
(Till they change the casting.):banghead:

I've thanked people in this thread.
Wonder why that doesn't show like on forbbodiesonly.
Joey?

This is "hot" info and needs to be shared, unlike if anyone likes my dog.
I appreciate any help in the forum. If I knew everything, if wouldn't be here.
My plan is to visit NAPA on the other side of my town, and also order an 8320 from OReily if they will send it to the store without extra shipping.
That's what the web site seems to indicate.
Advance and Autozone are now charging for special order shipping and I'm not going to eat that if its no good.
I'm also stopping by Autozone and be sure I understood they can't get a 8320 to the store without the shipping.
I'm sure that's what his computer system told him. Otherwise I wouldn't have tried the Accel HD one which does look different.

Hopefully, one of those work. Mopar Action ,covered this a few years back(M/A doesn't post articles online). One was the part number above. Another,would be to check out a stock distributor replacement Mallory cap/rotor setup. Good luck.(Vaugly remember a points Ford V8 ,being close...)

I think we can give up on Accel. A cap and rotor set came in to Advance for me to look at.
What was in the Accel box looked like the blue one, but it was white. I'm trying one more from a different source.
But not much hope.
I've got 5 rotors more coming to my local NAPA from the area supplies.
We shall see.

Attachments

• IMG_20140329_130403 (Large).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 375
Does anybody make decent parts anymore? We don't have a Napa here. Just O'Rielly (known for junk), and AutoZone (maybe a little higher grade of junk). One of the shops I deal with gave up on both, and just goes to the dealer for most parts.

The dealer may be your best bet.

When a business supplies parts to the automotive factory, they are rated on their quality in PPM (parts per million). This rates their quality on how many defective parts get out and caught at the factory. When a "bad/out of print" part is caught at the factory, there is a special group to follow and track this called "Supplier Quality". They are part of the "purchasing" department who sources all business (so they can influence whether or not you get to bid on new business/parts).

If the supplier does not respond effectively to the Supplier Quality representatives, they get the "buyer" (who decides who gets any new business) involved. This makes it very difficult for the supplier. So the supplier quality group carries a BIG HAMMER and the suppliers learn to kiss their *** and not ignore their issues.

If they find three or more "bad" parts at the car factory, the supplier has to send representatives out to contain all shipments and sort for the defect. Meanwhile the supplier's part factory has to send in "certified stock" that has been sorted/guaranteed not to have that problem in them for a minimum of 30 days, in addition to having to fill out mountains of paperwork as to how the defect got out of their factory and what corrective actions they will implement to their process to prevent this problem from happening again. If this happens three or more times within a year, then the supplier's management has to come meet with the management of Purchasing, which is not a good meeting for the supplier to have to sit through. (they get put through the "ringer"). Oh yeah, one the defective parts are found and brought to the supplier quality department's attention, then the supplier has 24 hours to send in someone to address this issue or suffer serious consequences. (They get a HUGE bill if it stops the assembly line - they get charged PER MINUTE that the line stops on their account - VERY SERIOUS). [For those that are curious, back around 96, they would get charged $7000 PER MINUTE that the line stopped, probably much more now].

The point of this is that the automotive companies have much more leverage against the supplier than just you or me individually. They can send their "junk" to the parts stores without all of that hassle, as we are just one person and have no repercussions like the automotive companies. So it is easier for them to try to unload their junk to the "aftermarket" parts stores rather than the automotive companies.

Now the parts that we buy from the dealer parts department are referred to as "service parts". They are not as closely "monitored" as the factory inventory, but they do address problems that come up. The supplier may be able to get a few bad parts through, but if they get so many of them returned then the purchasing department will "get on their ***" for sending bad parts to them. But not as hard as if they send them to the car factories.

Now when the supplier makes the "service" parts, they sometimes have to substitute some of the components to make them more common with other parts that they make, as they are much lower volume than keeping a car factory supplied every day (and they don't have the "supplier quality dogs" ready to pounce on them as with the car factory. So they sometimes take "more chances" concerning the quality of parts that they send out, especially to the "aftermarket" parts that go to the auto stores. Any smart supplier would try sending their "questionable quality" parts to the aftermarket than the service parts.

So you are more likely to get a better quality part from the parts department at your dealer than your local auto store. But you pay a little more for it.

Accel 8320 is a matched set cap and rotor. That rotor contact wouldn't need to be longer if the contacts in inside the accompanying cap are placed in smaller diameter circle.
I've always been told these should be replaced as matched set anyway.

Accel 8320 is a matched set cap and rotor. That rotor contact wouldn't need to be longer if the contacts in inside the accompanying cap are placed in smaller diameter circle.
I've always been told these should be replaced as matched set anyway.

Yep, matched set. The short rotor would work but the excessive arcing would destroy the cap and the rotor tip. tmm

Wow who would of know this,not me i just go and get, never heard of such a problim like this befor mine runs like a champ no miss fire must of got 1 right.Cant even remember were i bought the dam cap.

Yep, matched set. The short rotor would work but the excessive arcing would destroy the cap and the rotor tip. tmm

OK, re. the Accel 8320 set.

We will run this one down. It's been said before.
I've got an Accel on order at Autozone. When it comes in I'll look at it very closely and buy it if I have to.
But hopefully I can get a picture of it at the counter.
What I'm saying is that I looked at an Accel "set" last week and the terminals did not appear any wider than my other caps. And that would have to be reference to the fixed dimension of the cap.
So I'm questioning this bit of conventional wisdom.
In fact the terminal area looked narrower than any of my other caps.
I'm talking about the thickness between the plastic inner cap circumference and the inner-machined edge of the terminal.
A picture later.

I’m convinced that there is no dimensional difference between the cap terminals and the theory that stuff should be matched is not the case.
Accel rotor and cap on the right. NAPA with shiny brass next to it.

I was going to make up a template to center the Accel rotor in the Accel cap and prove that it had a big gap, but I really don’t think that is necessary.
The distributor fixes the cap terminal dimension and the inner machined ledge of the terminals appear identical.

Accel’s attention should be drawn to this thread. They are putting the "wrong" rotor in with the cap now.
No telling who makes these parts. They are probably just boxing it.
The box says “Finest distributor caps and rotors available”.
That may be true if someone doesn’t squawk and get the right rotor put in the box. Nothing else will be available.

Attachments

• IMG_20140331_110605 (Large).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_20140331_110557 (Large).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_20140331_110448 (Large).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_20140331_110443 (Large).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20140331_110437 (Large).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_20140331_110240 (Large).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 272
I've cornered the market. All that NAPA had locally were good.
The rotors and caps are from the same source in Mexico.
Good quality too.
And we can put to rest the theory that caps and rotors need to match.
All caps have the same internal dimension between terminals.
Not great pics, but you can get the idea with my "gage".

Attachments

• IMG_20140405_083323 (Large).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20140405_083529 (Large).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_20140405_083734 (Large).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20140405_083753 (Large).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_20140405_083831 (Large).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 211
-