My take on the oiling system crossover tube for the small block

-
^ I was going to...I thought that was part of the Guitar Jones instructions, But I think you are right Rumble...don't need to drill that passage out.
Yes drill it 1/2 inch.
The bottom of the passage is 5/8 or more. The passage above the plug is below half inch that's the part you are drilling out. You are not knocking the shoulder out of it.

Well this is where I'm at.. I overlooked that the oil pump I had on there was machined on the underside to clear the ARP main cap bolt.

IMG-4009.jpg

no big deal I had a buddy make a cut on his mill to my new pump.

IMG-4023.jpg

So here is the clearance Hughes engines did to the oil pump pick up, theres about a 1/16" to an 1/8" clearance from the rod to the pickup.

IMG-4024.jpg

unfortunately I'm unable to get that same clearance with the new pump using the same pickup screwed into the same spot. this is seriously like .06 -.07 thousandths of clearance. I'll play around with it some more tomorrow. How much do I really need? LOL...

IMG-4027.jpg

IMG-4026.jpg

Do you mean .006-.007", or .06-.07" ? Is that the best with the pickup turned to the optimum point?

It seems like if that rod moves more than a few thousandths from the normal arc of motion, you're getting ready to have some big problems elsewhere.

Have you checked your rid side clearance? Looks 'snug'.

Well this is where I'm at.. I overlooked that the oil pump I had on there was machined on the underside to clear the ARP main cap bolt.

View attachment 1715247300

no big deal I had a buddy make a cut on his mill to my new pump.

View attachment 1715247301

So here is the clearance Hughes engines did to the oil pump pick up, theres about a 1/16" to an 1/8" clearance from the rod to the pickup.

View attachment 1715247302

unfortunately I'm unable to get that same clearance with the new pump using the same pickup screwed into the same spot. this is seriously like .06 -.07 thousandths of clearance. I'll play around with it some more tomorrow. How much do I really need? LOL...

View attachment 1715247303

View attachment 1715247304
A oil pump gasket would give you a little more clearance.

Is there any reason not to both tube the right gallery and do the cross over tube? And why not tube both sides?
In using the tube method you do not need to lubricate the lifters on the other side of the motor and you are restricting the lubricating of the lifters on the passenger side also. You are in effect turning the lubrication of the solid lifters into a splash lubrication.

Use of the crossover tube is to make sure there is oil on the driver side of the motor for the hydraulic lifters and to lubricate the front main bearing and number one rod and of course restricting the oil in the passenger side galley.

The reason that you do not need to tube the driver side when you are tubing the passenger side is that you are going to block the flow of oil to the driver side by plugging the feed from the number one main going up to the galley on the driver side.

Do you mean .006-.007", or .06-.07" ? Is that the best with the pickup turned to the optimum point?

It seems like if that rod moves more than a few thousandths from the normal arc of motion, you're getting ready to have some big problems elsewhere.

Have you checked your rid side clearance? Looks 'snug'.

Yea sorry I meant .008" originally. Eight thousandths..which aint much at all. Wish I had .060" clearance. LOL. I filed on that pickup tube a little bit more, there's 10 or 12 thousandths. plenty. but it is a little tricky to measure accurately. I think it'll be fine.

What should the rod side clearance be? I can check it. Again, I'm sure it's good.

A oil pump gasket would give you a little more clearance.

Thanks, I think I got it!

Last edited:
Yea sorry I meant .008" originally. Eight thousandths..which aint much at all. Wish I had .060" clearance. LOL. I filed on that pickup tube a little bit more, there's 10 or 12 thousandths. plenty. but it is a little tricky to measure accurately. I think it'll be fine.

What should the rod side clearance be? I can check it. Again, I'm sure it's good.

Thanks, I think I got it!
I may have already ask. What oil pan are you usings?

Question on the full time cyl. head oiling. After tubing the block and blocking the opposite sides oil gallery. Wouldn't I then need a crossover of sorts from the tubed side to other side?

You can use a bottom mount pickup and not have all that problem of the rod getting near the pickup tube. Plus an increase of flow.

1540769110923-1833118040.jpg

kevko 303-1

Last edited:
Not if your oiling them from the cam.
I think you answered him incorrectly. He is saying he is going to do full time oiling which would indeed require a connecting tube from the main galley to each cylinder head rocker oiling passage.
If he was oiling from the cam it would not be full time oiling.
Unless I am misunderstanding his question.

Question on the full time cyl. head oiling. After tubing the block and blocking the opposite sides oil gallery. Wouldn't I then need a crossover of sorts from the tubed side to other side?

If you tubed the right side and blocked the left feed and have decided to block the oil feed from the cam to the heads yes you will need a cross over to feed the left side head.

headtap.JPG

Beneath the set screw, I drilled a small hole in to the main oil galley to feed the passage full time. To feed the left side you would replace the set screw with a fitting and put a line from it to the left side passage.
Be very careful when drilling into the main galley to line up correctly or you will hit the water jacket.

If you tubed the right side and blocked the left feed and have decided to block the oil feed from the cam to the heads yes you will need a cross over to feed the left side head.
Agreed it's just that he specifically stated full time oiling which running a jumper tube is the only way to get it reliably.

The only
In using the tube method you do not need to lubricate the lifters on the other side of the motor and you are restricting the lubricating of the lifters on the passenger side also. You are in effect turning the lubrication of the solid lifters into a splash lubrication.

Use of the crossover tube is to make sure there is oil on the driver side of the motor for the hydraulic lifters and to lubricate the front main bearing and number one rod and of course restricting the oil in the passenger side galley.

The reason that you do not need to tube the driver side when you are tubing the passenger side is that you are going to block the flow of oil to the driver side by plugging the feed from the number one main going up to the galley on the driver side.[/QUOT
The only thing I would add to this is if you had a specific reason to still want a limited amount of oil to the drivers side lifters, you could tube both sides of the block which is much cheaper than bushing, and then drill very small feed holes into the tube for each lifter bore.
But it would depend on individual requirements and lifter type.
Even though my new block has bushings, you could only bush the passenger side of the block to cut the lifter leakage and then with a pipe plug block the flow to the drivers side to cut the flow over there.
I elected to spend the extra money and bush both side because I wanted the drivers side wet , and to have limited flow to my edm feed roller lifters and at the front end of the drivers side galley I have a .025 bleeder hole there to feed oil to the Torrington bearing on my milodon gear drive.
So I would say it depends on individual requirements.

-
Back