My take on the oiling system crossover tube for the small block

-
Driver side is the left side. Remove the plug at the rear of the block and shine a light inside. There should be a plug inside an inch or so in the end of the oil galley.
I removed that pipe plug. I see the distributor drive gear. LOL. Wrong plug?

Got a picture?
Is that not on the rear left side of the engine? LOL

Because if I look past that gear, I see another pipe plug inside the block behind the gear.

IMG-3991.jpg

Last edited:
And if I open the plug on the right side of the cam freeze plug, I can see the oil plug all the way on the front of the engine, under the timing cover. ;)

Ok that is what we wanted to see, that the inner plug was in there. Super.

Tap the plug into place.

And if I open the plug on the right side of the cam freeze plug, I can see the oil plug all the way on the front of the engine, under the timing cover. ;)
When you pulled the pan was the oil pump flat against the rear main cap?

When you pulled the pan was the oil pump flat against the rear main cap?
yes it sure was from what I can tell. I have .020 thousandths clearance from the main cap bolt to the oil pump body. Plenty.

IMG-3996.jpg

IMG-3992.jpg

IMG-3993.jpg

IMG-3994.jpg

IMG-3995.jpg

I'm gonna replace my rear main seal, put on that other oil pump, and button it up. I will take note if there is a gasket between the oil pump and main cap, is that absolutely necessary to have that gasket there?

Finished for tonight, but I pulled the pump that was on there...There was no oil pump gasket...Should I put one or no? :)

Finished for tonight, but I pulled the pump that was on there...There was no oil pump gasket...Should I put one or no? :)
I always use one. Some people run them and some don't. If you don't be sure the mounting areas are flat and you clear the main cap bolt or stud and nut.
What pan are you useing?
Do you use a windage tray?

Last edited:
MP318, in the 1st pix in post #183, is that white lithium grease in the pilot bearing, or something else? That white lithium grease hasn't always done well on applications (for me) where there is constant movement and heat.

MP318, in the 1st pix in post #183, is that white lithium grease in the pilot bearing, or something else? That white lithium grease hasn't always done well on applications (for me) where there is constant movement and heat.
Yea it's whatever it came with from the parts store. What do you recommend?

And I'll say I have not explicitly had an pilot bearing issue with white lithium; it may be OK since it only turns when the clutch is disengaged, so it may be just fine. But, I'd prefer a light moly grease, and not a lot of it. Otherwise it'll end up on the clutch face.

So what is the torque specs on the 1/2" stud and bolt on the main cap, 85 ft lbs? There was none, but I think I'm gonna put a very light dab of sealant on the metal mating surfaces of the cap and block.

IMG-4002.jpg

IMG-4004.jpg

Last edited:
The bolt has a differant torque setting from a stud and nut.

Watch it when you install the pump with the intermediate shaft installed. If the pump gets cocked because it's not correctly engaged and you tighten the mounting bolts down you will break the pump.

The bolt has a differant torque setting from a stud and nut.

Watch it when you install the pump with the intermediate shaft installed. If the pump gets cocked because it's not correctly engaged and you tighten the mounting bolts down you will break the pump.
Right. The ARP stud calls for 110 ft lbs with ARP lube. The torque spec for the ARP bolt under the oil pump is the same going off of ARP website.

https://arpinstructions.com/instructions/140-5002.pdf

There has been a thread on this forum on exactly that topic in the last month. The Search tool ought to show it.

Right. The ARP stud calls for 110 ft lbs with ARP lube. The torque spec for the ARP bolt under the oil pump is the same going off of ARP website.

https://arpinstructions.com/instructions/140-5002.pdf
You may be looking at the wrong instructions. I believe this 5002 is a 12-sided bolt head. Where as the 5001 is a six-sided bolt head which is torqued to only 100 pounds. While a stud and nut is torqued to 110 lb.

Attachments

• 140-5001.pdf
    99.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
So my rear main seal is done. That was easy, and I'm pretty confident that it will not leak.
I came across a couple minor issues while putting on my oil pump. The first thing I over looked was that it was machined on the bottom of pump housing to clear the ARP main cap bolt.

No big deal, I had my local machine shop do the same thing to the new pump.

%5Bimg%5Dhttps://image.ibb.co/n2Cy3V/IMG-3998.jpg%5B/img%5D
You may be looking at the wrong instructions. I believe this 5002 is a 12-sided bolt head. Where as the 5001 is a six-sided bolt head which is torque to only 100 pounds. While a stud and nut is torqued to 110 lb.

Wow. Thanks. I missed the 12 point part of that. My stud is torqued to 110 and I'll loosen the bolt and re-torque to 100 pounds.

Anyone care to explain the best way to remove the plug that is below the pressure sending unit hole (appx. 7 1/2" down) so you can drill out that passage to 1/2". I have done most of the other mods, not quite sure how to remove this plug. Thanks guys.

That passage (Vertical) is stepped for a reason of that plug. Your not drilling that out are you?

^ I was going to...I thought that was part of the Guitar Jones instructions, But I think you are right Rumble...don't need to drill that passage out.

-
Back