My towing question leaving early Friday

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The situation dictates i go tomorrow no matter what. Would you say that in order of easy on the tow truck that: 1st dolly, 2nd flat and last on trailer. Just asking cause I'm leaving out tomorrow and towing a 4500 lb D 200 for 700 miles. I'm using a Dakota Quad cab with 4.56 gears. Not worried about pulling but, I am about stopping. I've pulled lighter cars but not a D200. Im not even sure if it will fit on a uhaul trailer. I have use of a friends car trailer but it is heavy and I don't have time to install my brake controller. What do ya think?

Extended cab won't fit on a trailer if it's extended cab.

It's dangerous if the vehicle being towed and the trailer out weigh the pulling vehicle...

Good luck...

Don't come here looking for easy answers. There are none. I can't imagine why you waited until "leave tomorrow." With that kind of weight behind YOU NEED BRAKES. This leaves out flat towing completely, and probably most dollies.

"Don't have time to install a controller?" OF COURSE YOU DO. Even if you cheat.

I just use mine manually. if you can't do anything else, just temporarily string the wire. You have a slider window? Throw the brake wire out the slider window and "temp" it out to the back

I have no idea of the availability of brakes on dollies. I would think that at least some have "surge" brakes, "better than nothing."

Go slow. Drive minimum speeds on the highway and pull over a lot on two lane highways to let folks pass. Yup. It will take longer.

legally speaking (at least in these parts) - you cannot tow an unregistered vehicle on a two wheel dolly - no wheels of an unregistered vehicle may be on the road. Done properly it shouldn't make a bean of difference which method you use - if you can, get the drive up onto trailer.. use your gears to slow you down if you have to. It seems odd that you don't have time to be safe... Be careful and yea, good luck.

I don't feel the need to explain but, I will. Ive been trying to buy this for months. I didn't wait. I got the call earlier in the week. I couldn't get a hot shot reasonably. It's a 70 one owner truck long bed and he said it has to be gone by Saturday. Uhaul dolly and trailer has brakes. Electric or hydro. Looks like I have a controller to hook up.

you know - you can use your current plates (assuming the "new" truck runs here) with a bill of sale for 48hrs? after sale - so you'll need a buddy to go with in another vehicle and take your plates

MVD's issue temp moving permits online that you can print right now.
I got one to drive an unregistered motorhome 1,100 miles from OK back to AZ.

If your pickup has the trailer tow package it should have existing wireing to plug controller into. You might be able to install it in a matter of minutes.
Yote

Just a FYI-Flat tow or dingy towing (You Are required to have active brakes on vehicle that is being towed) Meaning when you apply your brakes in your truck that you are towing with , the brakes on the towed unit must also activate to help stop , unless it weighs under 1500lbs oh and it must have brake lights.

I think the u haul trailers have a hydraulic tongue brake set up...no controller required

True. My truck has the wiring for the 7 prong lights and electric brakes. I always use the adapter to get it to the 4 wires for just running the trailer lights and turn signals... They are just a basic trailer hook up...

I think the u haul trailers have a hydraulic tongue brake set up...no controller required

Those are the surge brakes Del mentioned as being marginal (and it's true)
Better than nothing but barely.

If you want to live through this and not tear up your Dakota, you need to rent a flatbed trailer with brakes and a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup setup for towing. Yes it will cost a lot, but it's the right way to go there aren't any good shortcuts.

U-haul trailers suck with the surge brakes.
I towed my sisters S-10 about a month ago with one, the brakes did not work on the trailer.
I only had to go about 20 miles but the trailer was pushing me, plus the trailers are really heavy.

I didn't catch how far you will haul it.

its fri a m maybe your on your way?

would a pickup not be too wide for a dolley anyway?

ya got to have brake control in your truck for electric trailer brakes to work, huh??

pretty light truck to haul a trailer and truck.?

as you sure that truck isn't heavier than that!

trailer brakes are for sissys...... be brave, make life exciting....ha good luck!

Before Uhaul will rent you a trailer they will ask you what you are going to haul and what the tow vehicle is.

i know all this from personal experience, and they will not rent you a trailer to do what you intend to do.

They may not rent you a tow dolly either for the same reason.

Well he's either made the trip, or stuck on the side of the road by now, LOL

After reading comments :violent1: and discussing with a friend, I went with option four. I was asking him about trailer wiring on his two 2500s. He says take my Chevy Duramax with Allison 8 speed, that's what its for. This was my first experience with a truck of this caliber. Pulled effortlessly. If this was the 70s or 80s when I was younger, I would have done it anyway. I was sure worried after looking at the weight. The now 2nd owner 70 D200 "safely" home. :cheers:

After reading comments :violent1: and discussing with a friend, I went with option four. I was asking him about trailer wiring on his two 2500s. He says take my Chevy Duramax with Allison 8 speed, that's what its for. This was my first experience with a truck of this caliber. Pulled effortlessly. If this was the 70s or 80s when I was younger, I would have done it anyway. I was sure worried after looking at the weight. The now 2nd owner 70 D200 "safely" home. :cheers:

Glad that you changed your mind on using the Dakota and found a worthy truck to do the job and get home safely.... :cheers:

Good friends will help out when you need them...

I was trying to figure out where paint is on this MS Surface. It is dirty. It has been in a garage for 6 years but, garaged it's entire life. I'll share more in a new post.

Attachments

• IMG_1079.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 119
-
Back