MY TURN (I GET THE AX TODAY)!

-

pupjoint

pupjoint
Reaction score
After 40 years in the oilfield, and 36 with the same company, 21 of those years as a mechanic today I get cut loose. Gonna be a big change for me, sorry to say but just another victim of the economy. Been in Mexico the past 7 years and not gonna miss that part at all.

You ok with that? Close to retirement age? With that many years of experience another company will be glad to have you.

You ok with that? Close to retirement age? With that many years of experience another company will be glad to have you.
Absolutely, like toolmanmike said, a lot of companies really appreciate experience and will hire you over a rookie that they will have a 100K into before he's any use to them. I see it all of the time where I work. I repair air pollution monitors (Nox So2, Co Co2) at power plants, cement kilns and paper mills. We hire these young guys that are supposed to have experience and they know nothing. I also do training and I will be talking about something very basic, I look back at them and all I see is blank stares. I think this is going to be a positive thing for you, you're going to land on your feet and make more in the end. Good luck brother! Rooting for you.

Hope you recover quickly! I am so tired of hearing the media brag about how good the economy is. It sucks dried up dead decomposing camel balls......and has for a while.

Hopefully it was close to your retirement.........

Hope you recover quickly! I am so tired of hearing the media brag about how good the economy is. It sucks dried up dead decomposing camel balls......and has for a while.
All the good jobs in this country are GONE!! And they are never coming back!! ****, we Don't build anything here anymore, all we do is support the rich people. Restaurants, car washes, you get the idea. IMO:mad:

I wouldn't single out the rich-social services definitely get a lions share of what money we have left!

There has been a lot of layoffs here in the natural gas industry. I hope you either find something else or can be ready to retire.
Yote

I understand how you feel. been there. you invest so many years of your life making this co. successful, you have to feel like that means something, ( to that co.) but it really doesn't. they look at it with no sentiment. they expect you to be loyal and a "co, man", but when the chips are down, you are just another piece of inventory. but look at it also like this. you have a retirement built up with this co. after all those years.

now is the time to take ahold of your life, and all this is such a huge shock I know,...but , you have to figure out what YOU need ..... for income, for good mental health, for you and your family... etc.... you have VALUE. you just have to decide what you want to do.

I say this. yes it takes certain amount of $ to get by, but $ and material things do not make happy. it is a fact. sounds like your position with this co. has not made for a happy life for some time. maybe this in the end, will be a blessing.

I'm sorry for the loss !!!
I don't know how you feel about your situation ?
However I know how I felt when in a similar situation !
Hurt , disbelief , betrayal , anger ect !!!
I am saying a prayer for you now !!
May God , strengthen , comfort , and provide for you !!!
God Bless

Well, if they are canning you, you get to file for unemployment.
You going to do that?
Or do you want to look for another job, and collect unemployment insurance payments?
Or is your company offering you retirement, or just letting you go?
How old are you, anyway?
File for social security.
You can file early at age 62, and beyond if you want to.

Pros and cons to filing at 62. You only get about 75% . However you get your money four years earlier.
Now if they have eliminated or combined your position then there's not much you can do, but as someone else said collect comp. And move on. If they hired a younger person to do your job then that's age discrimination.
I would then get a lawyer involved. Whatever road you go down best of luck to you.

Sorry to read. It might be slow but lots of companies out there want your experience. Good luck. Post your resume on the web. They will find you!

If you weren't ready to retire, then I'm sorry for the bad news. Our CEO sent out a letter the other day saying we have budget challenges, and are looking at ways to cut costs. I'm quite sure the first place costs will be cut is on labor. I've got my fingers crossed, hoping for a severance package. I'll be shickled titless if I get one! :)

my boss is a tyrant , i'm self employed . have been since 88 .''i love it'' . you still must get funded . there is plenty of kids that need to know whats what . could be an instructor , teacher , you've got year of hands on . or if your set up can build cars for the deep pocket croud , hope you keep an up attitude . and remember , put some rubb'r down as you leave it in your mirror .

So many true things said here. Number one is that the economy sucks, especially for those who are older. I was out almost three years with small chance of decent pay permanent work. Lucky to be hired back where I was laid off from. Had to move to different state but I am back to work. Keep your head up!!!

So many true things said here. Number one is that the economy sucks, especially for those who are older. I was out almost three years with small chance of decent pay permanent work. Lucky to be hired back where I was laid off from. Had to move to different state but I am back to work. Keep your head up!!!

so true. it is a fact as we age, replacing a lost job can be a big challenge. the economy is supposedly at full employment, but, the number of low pay part time jobs is high. as we get older, IF we wish to continue fighting for good pay, many times it requires using our education, knowledge, experience, to establish our own business and not work for the "co.".

Was laid off a year ago being a helicopter mechanic in the oil field business also, but being overseas no unemployment taken out. very tough in this market until oil prices go up, and I think even then it will take time before the money is put back in to the business for employee's to be rehired. Best of luck to you.

I am soooo glad I'm retired and don't have to worry about any of that. I worked for 30 years at the Gas Company so I wouldn't even have any idea how to market myself for a job.Good luck to you.

I am soooo glad I'm retired and don't have to worry about any of that. I worked for 30 years at the Gas Company so I wouldn't even have any idea how to market myself for a job.Good luck to you.
when a tree falls on you, make firewood !

Or,
If you're under a lemon tree, time to make lemonade.

Was laid off a year ago being a helicopter mechanic in the oil field business also, but being overseas no unemployment taken out. very tough in this market until oil prices go up, and I think even then it will take time before the money is put back in to the business for employee's to be rehired. Best of luck to you.
I for one like low oil prices. Sorry about the lost jobs, BUT reasonable gas prices, to me, make up for most of it. Sorry:(

I quit my job at the helium gas factory...

I refuse to be spoken to in that tone...

-
Back