My vent window won't stay open...

-

Aaron65

Reaction score
I've got to get into my doors to lube the locks and window tracks, and I might as well fix the vent. The driver's one won't stay open; is there a spring inside that performs that job? I've never torn the door apart on one of these.

Just slow down. It will stay open then.

same here, small problem, but annoying and would be nice to resolve

There is no adjustment. It's due to the clearance in the window vent pins and the holes that they ride in. You may have to put something in there to restrict the movement and make it tighter...

There is no adjustment. It's due to the clearance in the window vent pins and the holes that they ride in. You may have to put something in there to restrict the movement and make it tighter...

what about drilling/tapping in from the side and use an allen set screw with a nylon tip?

It has been quite some time since I looked but I thought there was a spot on the bottom pin you could tighten up. If I get time later today I will go in the barn and look at one of my used doors.

Been awhile but isn't there a metal strap around the pin if so either place some shim stock between it or possible super glue but make sure you keep moving it until it sets

I've got to get into my doors to lube the locks and window tracks, and I might as well fix the vent. The driver's one won't stay open; is there a spring inside that performs that job? I've never torn the door apart on one of these.

nope no spring , "but" there might be a way after you have removed the wing vent assembly
(please mark your ALL bolts and the front side of the wing vent where it slides against the door in the hinge area right above the 2 bolts in the front of the vent window and underneath the foam auxiliary seal to help align the wing vent back up it IS a PITA if you don't:glasses7: I know that NOW!)
then tighten this screw (or ad a sleeve over the post) but if I was going that far I'd also do the wing vent rubber seal.
View attachment !!!!!!!wingvent tighten.jpg

seals
http://www.ebay.com/itm/63-66-Mopar...ash=item3ab1a469f1:g:UhMAAOSwFnFV8xEY&vxp=mtr

hope this helps

Once out of the car, I've had good success simply dimpling the half round section of the metal strap someone submitted a picture of. It does not take much of a tweak (dent? dimple?) to make them tight again. I've had difficulty using shim stock due to my inability to find material thin enough to not bind the pivot once the strap screw is tightened if shimming the pivot post only. Sadly on these '63-66 abodies the vent wing assembly does have to come out of the door shell to make repairs.

if this is successful it's the first time I've been able to attach a pic. View attachment 1714860639

this is the screw you will be looking for but the vent window frame has to come out to access it, it clamps down on the lower pivot pin, dont lub it.

Yes this is correct.....The screw shown in post #11 is an adjustment ....by tightening it, the spring steel that goes around the lower pivot post has more pressure on it making the vent window harder to open and close

I got mine from Bethels goat farm. Super quality but 99 bucks. Dont know about the vent seals on flea bay. Yes, they sell goats and weatherstripping.

Yes this is correct.....The screw shown in post #11 is an adjustment ....by tightening it, the spring steel that goes around the lower pivot post has more pressure on it making the vent window harder to open and close

if It (his car) is a 65 as I suspect from his statistic's page then post #10 is correct, 1967 in post #11 is different. It IS the same tightening process though. but not from a spring steel clamp but just clamping the steel bracket tighter and if you take the screw out you can't loose the clip on a 65-66.

My car is a '65. I wonder how much of a pain it will be to pull that vent assembly considering that I have a wagon (not a hardtop or a convertible where it will pop right up). I'll admit, I haven't looked into it yet. I'm sure the shop manual will give me a good start. :)

if It (his car) is a 65 as I suspect from his statistic's page then post #10 is correct, 1967 in post #11 is different. It IS the same tightening process though. but not from a spring steel clamp but just clamping the steel bracket tighter and if you take the screw out you can't loose the clip on a 65-66.

Well I have ones from a 1966 and they are just like post #11 .....So it must be 64-65 are the #10 style

My car is a '65. I wonder how much of a pain it will be to pull that vent assembly considering that I have a wagon (not a hardtop or a convertible where it will pop right up). I'll admit, I haven't looked into it yet. I'm sure the shop manual will give me a good start. :)

It's not hard to do but you do have to fiddle with it a bit
here is the manuals instructions . I had to remove the bottom connectors to the side glass for my sedan and my valiant wagon, but the book says you don't have too. maybe I didn't fiddle with mine enough.
View attachment !!!!!!!wingvent removal.jpg

here is a catalog pic of the 65 HT and sedan vent windows if it helps.
ventHT.jpg
ventSD.jpg

My Mazdas pulled up out the top after I unbolted a few channel screws and a support bolt all the way on the bottom of the door. Access was easy with inner panel popped off.

-
Back