mystery hole on 318 block

-

340wedge1971

Reaction score
I have a 73 318,I am replacing my trans,and on the drivers side down by the oil pan where the trans hooks up there is a large hole(the hole is on the side off the block just above the oil pan) that has no threads,anybody know what this is or have ever seen it?

heres a few pics!

Attachments

• mystery hole 001.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 365
  • mystery hole 002.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 369
  • mystery hole 003.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 355
  • mystery hole 004.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 358
I,m going on a wild guess here,but think it,s there from the casting plant for maching purposes?I,ve often wonder it,s purpose myself?It,s like a rod/pin fits in while cleaning the block of access casting?Sorry,but just a guess LOL

I believe that is a vent hole for the converter/clutch. The area behind the engine is sealed with the inspection cover and starter.

Locating hole. Used to properly locate/hold/clamp block while various machining processes are done on the block...boring, line boring.
Also used during the engine assembly process.
As long as it does not leak oil, water of compression, you are good to go.

That's where the flux capacitor plugs in.

it the mounting hole for your custom chrome muffler bearings check to make sure nots tight so the hole dosen't fall out dringing down road and go thru someone windshield

I saw it used for locating the block for different programs on cnc machines because this is a common hole on all engines. I But its purpose was to hold the back of the block in place while setting on the on the k member before the trans is installed. on the assembly line cart. A copy of the cart below on the one picture from the front you can see where the pin would go on the stand. This pin is adjustable and removed after the trans is installed this stand and pin fits all mopar V-8's. I will try and get a better pic of the pin when I get the next assembly on it.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 8.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 236
  • 14.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 236
There are some clown answers in here, always from the same clowns. Machining purposes, like all those ears on an auto trans
They clownerys always have to show what they think is superior knowledge...when they have no clue.

There are some clown answers in here, always from the same clowns. Machining purposes, like all those ears on an auto trans
They clownerys always have to show what they think is superior knowledge...when they have no clue.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJvUCDP9u0I"]YouTube - Frank Sinatra send in the clowns[/ame]

-
Back