Mystery pitman arm

-

VSTwister

Reaction score
Figured I'd post this over here too...

Anyone know what this pitman arm is for? I bought it on eBay years ago, advertised as a 68-72 a-body part, but it doesn't fit my '71 Scamp. It was too small for the steering box sector shaft.

Pitman_Arm.jpg

Up until some year model ( I forget which year ) the manual and power steering gear boxes had the same smaller splined shaft. Afterwards that shaft in the power steering box got larger. The simple indicator is the hex nut that holds the arm on.
If a 1&1/8 wrench fits it, its the smaller.
If a 1&5/16 wrench is required its the later/larger.

Might be the manual steering box for those years then. My car is power steering.

I don't have the hex nut that came with this arm.

Might be the manual steering box for those years then. My car is power steering.

I don't have the hex nut that came with this arm.

I understand that. Someone may use that info to determine this arm will or will not work on their car.
Good luck

I believe 65-72 sector shaft is 1 1/8. 73 up sector shaft is 1 1/4. Google steerandgear.

It's not a late A body because the stud points up.

Might be a C body pitman? Is the spline clocking the same?

Here:

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/steeringbox.shtml

and a quote from above:

"All manual boxes used a small sector shaft with the exception of C-bodies and vans to 1988. The big cars and vans used a large sector"

I'll have to check. I've done the research before and believed I found that I have the 72-down power steering box. BTW, I've looked at those pictures on bigblockdart.com, and those are just manual steering boxes shown, correct? (That site has a lot of good info, even if you aren't putting a big block in your a-body.)

Here's the thing too. Because the one I've posted in the pic above didn't work, I ended up ordering a pitman arm from the local parts store, based on the 1971 year of my car. It fit. So what I concluded was I still have the small sector shaft power steering, and this pitman arm is for something even smaller yet. It looks very similar to the one on my but is a bit smaller. This is what made me think maybe it was even an older a-body that lots of times had smaller parts. But that was just a complete guess, and why I've posted the picture to see if anyone else knew.

I'll double check the sector shaft size and clocking from the one on my car, but from what I remember it's very close to the same, just a little smaller.

Got some measurements, and more clues. The sector shaft size is 15/16". Drop height from the face of the pitman sector shaft to the face of the mounting stud is 3-11/16". There are also the numbers 14-183 and a diamond shaped marking with a 1 on the arm as well. See the following pics. (Ignore the exact measurements shown, as they appear off due to the camera angles taken. I posted them just for reference. Near as I can tell with a tape, sector is 15/16" and arm drop is 3-11/16".)

IMG_20130905_121909.jpg

IMG_20130905_122016.jpg

IMG_20130905_122241.jpg

IMG_20130905_122249.jpg

-
Back