N96 One-of-None 1972 Demon Fresh-Air Hood

-
Way cool and some good ideas. I'm doing the same with my 72 Dart. Still in the works.

20151029_192256.jpg

20151020_160719.jpg

Mark,

That's good. So the twin scoop fits with some overlap? Looks like you followed the basic outline but with a 2 inch lip from the bracing. What did you cut with a wiz wheel or air snipper? Are you going to seal it? I may use a pan but not seal it.

Thanks,
Marion

Can someone restore the photos on this thread and sticky it/them, please? This is too good to have to download a bunch of pics just to follow

I just used a cutoff wheel and followed the structure, actually my friend did it for me. I'm thinking about trying an air cleaner setup from a 71-2 B-body with N-96 hood and seeing how well that will seal to the hood. I'm concerned about the rain water getting into my air filter and that setup has drainage.

Cool, how does it fit the triangular hood bracing/structure?
I'm going to use an offset base unit on mine to Center the air cleaner more in the Triangular area but I'm concerned about and wondering how big is that damn GM seal how much lift can I get off of that

Last edited:
I used the same rivets and washers that I used to attach the base to the cake pan. See pictures with directions below.

The arrow points to the channel in the gasket I used to place the washer and rivet.

View attachment 1714827039

This is looking at the outside of the gasket as it is attached to the outside of the cake pan, you can see the rivet and gasket. I pushed the gasket up against the lip in the pan and measured the distance that I need to drill the holes in the pan so the gasket would fit tight against the lip. Place the rivets every 4 to 6 inches.

View attachment 1714827040

This is a picture looking at the inside of the pan. You can see the lip on the pan and the end of the rivet just to the left of my thumb.

View attachment 1714827041

Another picture looking from the outside of the pan and how the gasket hides the rivet. I painted mine black after I had everything installed to hide the white rivet and washer.

View attachment 1714827042

Here's the rivets and washers I used.

View attachment 1714827043
That is cool as can be! How much distance for Crush do you have on that steel from where you mounted to the cake pan as far as the raised area of the seal

That is cool as can be! How much distance for Crush do you have on that steel from where you mounted to the cake pan as far as the raised area of the seal

Look at post #23. The pictures attached to that post were taken with the hood closed and they show how the seal is seated against the underside of the hood. Also, I used cheap modeling clay stacked on top of the air cleaner lid to measure clearances. However, I did not cut out the "triangle", used the original hood opening seal in the original location (see post #18).

Look at post #23. The pictures attached to that post were taken with the hood closed and they show how the seal is seated against the underside of the hood. Also, I used cheap modeling clay stacked on top of the air cleaner lid to measure clearances. However, I did not cut out the "triangle", used the original hood opening seal in the original location (see post #18).
Excellent Job, Sir! I ordered the seal, just didn't know how tall it was

Think I made mine around 2016. Seen this thread was brought back so I figured I’d finally share my setup. Put a little spin on the decal since it’s in my duster. Wanted to keep it Plymouth, so I went with air grabber. Matches up with my dual snorkel scoop perfectly.

189389C9-9405-49FE-85E8-98917B1F8232.jpeg

AF2F754E-A432-46AE-8220-452D27DF79C1.jpeg

CAC26745-ABE8-4698-8CCB-38E28023530F.jpeg

9335FC2F-876E-4158-B95B-B57BE6D61FC3.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd really like to add a fresh air intake system to my Ply. Signet.
I build one for my 74 Duster. 18" x3" cake pan, the above gasket. Kinda a pain to find , and a Speedway Motors top ( after summit held me up on a K@n for over 3 months. Then canceled my order. In all fairness, getting a 14" K@N top ain't happening. I have not ran it yet, but I'm Really needing to!

A Speedway Motors top? What is that? I'm not familiar with them Their top may be the only one that would work? Would a repro N96 set-up be too costly?

-
Back