Nascar cheatin' in the Hemi era.

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
check out these 2 cheats in the NASCAR days. The Hemi cars were called out on this slick convertible restrictor plate "There were alot of fast Hemis..." Also the Olds Skoal Bandit variable rear spoiler trick....

check out these 2 cheats in the NASCAR days. The Hemi cars were called out on this slick convertible restrictor plate "There were alot of fast Hemis..." Also the Olds Skoal Bandit variable rear spoiler trick....

And Ray was a master of stretching the rules.

I saw a Holley carburetor like that in a local Winston Cup shop a few years ago. It made a lot bigger bite than the one shown in the video! They never got caught with it either....lol.

I read an article on an expensive 390 CFM carb that was a "series legal" carburetor. They went on to say that it was worked over to leak air at every possible point. Sort of a "jet it fat, and it'll eventually catch up". I guess anything to get a few more CFM's out of the carb.

They have always cheated the rules. NASCAR should limit an engine size and no other restrictions.

No spoiler and run flat out. They that can drive wins!

I always got a kick out of the "creative interpretation" of the rules in all forms of motor racing.
I remember an article in an old Car Craft magazine about, I believe, a NHRA Stock or Super Stock racer. The rules at the time said you had to have a spare wheel and tire in the trunk...but the rule didn't say the tire had to be inflated with air. The car owner filled the spare tire full of water under pressure in order to put a little more weight over the rear wheels for better traction. He got away with it until a tech inspector with a little spare time decided to hit the Schrader valve to see if the spare tire was inflated - and ended up getting a shower!

Good stuff. I always like the Richard Petty story where he lapped the entire field one day. He kept asking if the motor was legal and the crew chief told him to drive and not worry about it. And the Darrel Waltrip story about the pan they had rigged up under the car full of steel ball bearings. Once the car made weight, they would pull the lever after the race started and make the car lighter when the ball bearings all ran out. Until...they found all the ball bearings on the apron of the track!!!

-
Back