need 340 help

-

mopow3r

Reaction score
i have a 69 340 im about to put in my 69 dart and need a little advice, right now its got 10.5 compression pistons, a mopar 509 cam, and a worked set of factory closed chamber heads (2.02/1.60 3 angle valve job) What would be a good intake and carb setup? also should i run the 509 cam for now or is it worth going bigger? and what about a good set of headers? any and all help is greatly appreciated! THANKS! -Mopow3r

great thanks for yalls help, i only drive the car once a month or so around town, i just really want to be able to hop in it, enjoy it, and make some good power, the motor was in a 65 barracuda with a 3000 stall and 3.91 gear and went 12.80's but im sure that car is lighter than mine. i was thinking around a 3500 stall and a 3.91 gear, but then what size tire should i run? im clueless when it comes to that.. and if i went with a bigger cam what should i run? and whats the better intake the single plane M1 or the Victor jr? THANKS AGAIN!

Well if you want a bigger cam you need something in the 550 lift and the 250 @.050 to make a big difference, that 509 cam you have has about 248 @.050 and a ton of overlap

If going bigger single plane and a 750 dp or so.. I have a fully ported holley strip dominator and a 750hp worked holley dp, if interested, just removed !!

So what type fuel do you plan on running in it?

Mine has stock compression .040 over with J heads opened up for 2.02 /1.60 SS valves, TTI headers and it doesn't like just pump gas.

Have to add a little 110 to make it HAPPY

If I were to do it again it would have aluminum heads, buddy runs 11:1 408 stroker with aluminum heads and it is fine with pump gas

Lucky for me the fuel is available close to the house. The bad is when I'm out and need fuel. Even taking timing out it still want to detonate.

great thanks for yalls help, i only drive the car once a month or so around town, i just really want to be able to hop in it, enjoy it, and make some good power, the motor was in a 65 barracuda with a 3000 stall and 3.91 gear and went 12.80's but im sure that car is lighter than mine. i was thinking around a 3500 stall and a 3.91 gear, but then what size tire should i run? im clueless when it comes to that.. and if i went with a bigger cam what should i run? and whats the better intake the single plane M1 or the Victor jr? THANKS AGAIN!

I think your going to big, for a car you just want to hop in and enjoy around town.Sounds more like a track car, with that 3500 stall,single plane, etc.
For more enjoyment, I would go more conservative on everything.
Cam, stall, dual plane intake.

Well I live literally right next to the highway so the first thing every car I have does is catch hell when I pull it out lol ;) so it needs to run for sure. Got a couple chebby boys around here running their mouth

Not trying to spend that kind of money lol. Trying to work with mainly what I have

Cam is way too big, keep it in the 220-230 duration range MAX. If not, it will be a dog on the street, not pleasant to cruise either.

First thing I would do is degree the camshaft, find out where it's installed. If it's the 108CL cam, I'd advance it to around 102. Pick up a bunch of low end power! Ignition timing is KEY to getting decent street performance with that camshaft, lots of initial timing.

An Air gap and 750 DP would work well. A victor 340 is another good intake for an single plane. Run a 1" open spacer with either intake.

Headers, the cheapies work but hang low. Want ones that fit well and full length, get Dougs or tti.

3.91's and a short tire would be good, 26" tall or so.

If you want it to run, buy a GOOD converter if an auto car. You'll spend in the 600 range at least. Shelf stuff may be OK, better to get a custom built one.

Just for what its worth. The number 1 mistake made by people that want to go fast on the street is "a great, big, cam with a single plane and huge carb". What they end up with is a gutless dog that comes to life around 5500 rpm's. Sounds like you would be happy with a high 12/low 13 second car. In my J-head 360 I use to have, I had less cam (340 cam), dual plane intake (LD 340), 3.23 gears with a 28 inch tire and a 10 inch street fighter convertor in a 3200 lb A-body and ran 13.30's all day long.
Name of the game is to have matching components. Not saying you are going to big, but don't get caught up in that "bigger is better". Steep gears, high stall converters make poor highway machines.

a worked set of factory closed chamber heads

This is kind of a red flag. How far out of the hole are your pistons? Spec was .018" above deck but it could be anywhere. Also, the only closed chambered factory heads are Magnum or 273/318 heads (small ports). What heads do you have? Trans? Gearing?

It's already making @ 350 horsepower (12.8@3200 lbs), do you really want/need more for the street? I would put a 4.11:1 gear, you're just driving it around town anyway. Put some really good tires on it, and leave it alone.

-
Back