Need 3K converter...

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
so A-1 could build me one but for 1000 dollars...

so now onto the next choices

edge can build me one for 490 + shipping

think i can do better?

Have you tried TCI ? I have purchased two from them a number of years apart,and there was only a $10 difference in price !!

Have you tried TCI ? I have purchased two from them a number of years apart,and there was only a $10 difference in price !!

no i have not but it seems like everybody like to stay away from them... worth a shot tho

I got mine from Hughes several years ago and was less than $400 bucks. Please don't make the mistake that I did and order a 3000. If you want it to stall at 3000 than order a 4000. The reason that I say this is a low HP engine may not have what it takes to reach stall as I was educated after the fact. My 3000 was done at about 22-2300 with a basic 225 (internals stock just intake,carb,headers) I questioned them on this and was told politely we wish you would have told us what it was being used for, as the cars weight and HP makes quite a difference. Now he was just kidding and said "Hell, put a 375 horse 340 in front of it and it will stall at 3 grand" They offered to take it back and redo it but I was to lazy to pull it. The next one I ordered was a 3500 but put it behind a 451 stroker in a 3600 lbs car and it worked real well. This was just my experience and just wanted to share a thought. Results may vary.

I got mine from Hughes several years ago and was less than $400 bucks. Please don't make the mistake that I did and order a 3000. If you want it to stall at 3000 than order a 4000. The reason that I say this is a low HP engine may not have what it takes to reach stall as I was educated after the fact. My 3000 was done at about 22-2300 with a basic 225 (internals stock just intake,carb,headers) I questioned them on this and was told politely we wish you would have told us what it was being used for, as the cars weight and HP makes quite a difference. Now he was just kidding and said "Hell, put a 375 horse 340 in front of it and it will stall at 3 grand" They offered to take it back and redo it but I was to lazy to pull it. The next one I ordered was a 3500 but put it behind a 451 stroker in a 3600 lbs car and it worked real well. This was just my experience and just wanted to share a thought. Results may vary.

yea thats what im getting across with them, although mine has a 9.8:1 comp and 246 dur cam, lots of head work, the full boggie, making over 200hp but yea, they cant get enough stall out of a 10 for under 900 bucks... next company plz! haha

a 3000 dollar converter, what's it made out of? I think its either made out of slow business or no business.

Try Dynamic Converters, they give contingency money for drag race winners and build the best. They have advertising in National Dragster for years.

Here's a post from here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=19624

And my car has one in it since it was built, no problems in 20 + years

a 3000 dollar converter, what's it made out of? I think its either made out of slow business or no business.

Try Dynamic Converters, they give contingency money for drag race winners and build the best. They have advertising in National Dragster for years.

Here's a post from here: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=19624

where di u read 3K dollar converter?? and i'll give them a ring thank you!

sent them an email...

I have two Edge 9 1/2 inch converters. One is in my car, the other is for the next build. Very satisfied with the one I am running. It stalled about 3200 with my 170 slant and almost 4,000 with my 225. No mater whose converter you get, make sure you give them all the build info on the car/engine.

I have two Edge 9 1/2 inch converters. One is in my car, the other is for the next build. Very satisfied with the one I am running. It stalled about 3200 with my 170 slant and almost 4,000 with my 225. No mater whose converter you get, make sure you give them all the build info on the car/engine.

can i ask what ur putting out with the 225 and in what range, how much for the converter?? and i have sent almost all the converter places all the specs...
thx charrlie!

can i ask what ur putting out with the 225 and in what range, how much for the converter?? and i have sent almost all the converter places all the specs...
thx charrlie!

If you mean what HP/TQ, I have no idea. It was a low dollar build. The car weight 2680 lbs with me in it and wil 60 ft at 1.77, 1/8 mile low 8's, and 1/4 mile mid 13's.
My 170 engine has been on the chassis dyno and makes 358 ft/lbs tq at 2900 rpm, and 204 hp.
I have had that converter for about 7 years, and got a real good price on it. It was the first converter they build for a early slant six (small crank pilot) and a late 904 (large input splines). There was a problem when I got the converter, but they allowed me to do a temporary mod, to get it working (had to make a race), and then corrected the problem about 3 months later, when the season was over, and I could get the converter back to them. Very good customer service.
PS: I ordered the converter on a Monday morning and had it here, in Florida, 10 am Wednesday, over nite air.
The second converter I bought used from another slant racer, that converted to a 4 speed. He had bought it on my recomendation, and it is very similar to my 1st converter. He was happy with it, also.
If you do go with Edge, tell Andre, Charlie Schmid, from Florida sent you.

If you mean what HP/TQ, I have no idea. It was a low dollar build. The car weight 2680 lbs with me in it and wil 60 ft at 1.77, 1/8 mile low 8's, and 1/4 mile mid 13's.
My 170 engine has been on the chassis dyno and makes 358 ft/lbs tq at 2900 rpm, and 204 hp.
I have had that converter for about 7 years, and got a real good price on it. It was the first converter they build for a early slant six (small crank pilot) and a late 904 (large input splines). There was a problem when I got the converter, but they allowed me to do a temporary mod, to get it working (had to make a race), and then corrected the problem about 3 months later, when the season was over, and I could get the converter back to them. Very good customer service.
PS: I ordered the converter on a Monday morning and had it here, in Florida, 10 am Wednesday, over nite air.
The second converter I bought used from another slant racer, that converted to a 4 speed. He had bought it on my recomendation, and it is very similar to my 1st converter. He was happy with it, also.
If you do go with Edge, tell Andre, Charlie Schmid, from Florida sent you.

we have started going back and forth with emails but i will drop ur name! thanks!

and a little difference in hp to torque on the 170 huh?!? haha

im hoping to breakin to the 210 range hp and 270 tq... what do u think?

ok so i got return calls on alomost all and this is what i got!!

PTC- 9.5" convter $510 to my door

JP Performacne - 10" converter $550 + shipping

Edge- 10" $490 + shipping

Dynamic- 9.5" $575 + shipping

leaning towards the ptc, heard lots of 6 guys like them! the 9.5 kinda scares me but he said it has great street manners

what cha think??

I have an ACC converter that foot brakes right up to 3000 rpm behind my mild 340 its out of dart and I need to step up to a 3600 rpm converter $250.00 shipped lower 48,Kevin.

I have an ACC converter that foot brakes right up to 3000 rpm behind my mild 340 its out of dart and I need to step up to a 3600 rpm converter $250.00 shipped lower 48,Kevin.

how mild is mild? becuase i need the same stall rating as that...

ACC is what Im going to switch too. I would get an ACC aka Boss Hog also seen on Ebay and their website

-
Back