Need 6.1 Cuda Help

-

sprinter6591

Reaction score
I bought a '68 Cuda and need help from anyone with experience in installing a 6.1. I'm on a budget, so I'm having to spend sparingly.

I'm going to use the stock exhaust manifolds, instead of headers, due to cost. I need to know if the steering column, with power steering, will clear the stock exhaust manifolds. Also, is there any way the a/c compressor will go in with the stock exhaust and aftermarket motor mounts?

I've heard jeep or truck engines have the a/c mounted on top. Is that true? If it is, would that be a better way to go?

If I can afford it, I'm going to put a carburetor on it. Which intake manifold has the lowest profile to get the most hood clearance?

Any suggestions for this project would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. It's MOPAR or no car.

From my readings in the last few weeks I believe the only way to run power steering is with a Borgeson box and TTI headers

Have to agree with mcat. Budget Hemi swaps are asking for problems unless you know how to do wiring.

Riddler

I have a truck 5.7 hemi, and I don't think the manifolds will work. Passenger side dumps right at the firewall. Not sure about the car manifolds or jeep manifolds.

I'm currently working with the first pre-production examples of Schumacher 5.7 hemi headers in an A-body. They will fit with the borgeson box or a manual box. Tri-Y design. The fitment so far has been great, though I'm also using their mounts which I like a lot. These units were built around the first-gen borgeson box, which has recently been updated. I have the updated version, and Mike is reworking the header design to work with both. I'm just going to use these pieces as they only need a small ding to fit without issue. Sorry for the poor pictures.

20170101_124635.jpg

20170102_153511.jpg

20170102_154041.jpg

Can you please take a picture or two of their mounts?
How does Milodon pan works with the idler arm? I see no cutout in it..
Also, what about the oil filter and k-member?

I have not tried the steering at all yet, just got the motor/trans dropped in this past weekend. Hopefully no issues.

Oil filter clears the k-member fine, you can barely see in this picture. I am using the smaller filter (WIX 57060) for the newer 5.7 hemis though for more room, same filter my 2016 RAM 1500 5.7 uses. I had purchased the new 45º oil filter adapter they released at SEMA, however there is no way it would fit. I even tried trimming off the drain shield to no avail.

I'll try to take a few more pictures of their mounts and the oil filter this week, as well as mock up the steering.

20170102_154025.jpg

I will be running a 46RH out of a 92 Ramcharger.

Here's another look at the oil filter as well.

20170102_154032.jpg

That looks good!
I am using 727 tranny and I had firewall / intake manifold clearance issues. Had to switch to car intake and front cover. Mine is a c-body though. I was able to use 45 degree filter adapter.

-
Back