Need a snappy comeback

-
I have a 340 and very few people ask if it has one. Most of the time it is 318 or slant 6?

I get the 440 question a lot. When I tell them it is a 340 they say. " O thats the small motor".

You cant win. Just smile and wave. LOL

A few years ago when I was picking up my 71 Duster 340 in Nebraska and putting it up on the trailer, a guy stops by to chat about the car and the first thing he suggests is to put a 440 in it.

Used to have a chrome mopar performance air cleaner on 273, 2 barrel, would watch people almost stand on their heads to look under the air cleaner, then when they saw the 2 barrel, "oh, it's just a 318". I usually just laughed it off, or would say, "it's a 273". Not an a-body, but the best had to be my 51 Plymouth(a rat rod before rat rods where cool) with a 68 318. Took it to get it aligned, one guy says wow that's an oldy, guy working on it said you should see the money he has in the engine, said thanks, but its only a overhauled 318. Another time had it at a car show and 3 old timers were overheard, "is that an old nailhead buick, Pontiac..." Finally I walked up and said it was a small block Chrylser, "oh, I see it now" Guess the gm alternator threw them for a loop.

This should do it. Stick one of Dennis Radford's stickers on the quarter panel.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws0ehOFXaqU&feature=player_detailpage"]Dennis Radford promod duster - YouTube[/ame]

Just tell them to "ask their wife because you took her around the block last night"

sure but if i hear "nice nova" again im gonna slam someone's head in the door.

Hey nice green nova you got!!!! :finga:
HAHA you can't reach my head from there!!!

Only joking!!!!

Just say "Yeah, it's mostly stock".

You're not lying, the parts were mostly in stock when you ordered them.

You should'a heard 'em when they saw a 340 in a 70 RR body. a 440-SIX body. You should'ah heard 'em when that car showed up (for about a year) with a 273 2bbl!!!!

I was at a car show in June this year. Looking at a Satellite that had the 340 shout outs on the scoops. Since I was trying to get info on where to take the 340m I have for machine work, I asked him "who worked on the 340"? The hood was up and I didn't even look at the engine. Guy said it ain't a 340. That's when I looked at the engine and saw the distributor up front. I said DOHH! I didn't even look at the engine. LOL.

Back when I had a SBM in my beat up old Lancruiser, I had the hood open and someone walked up, "ZZZZAaaat a 350 Chivvy?"

"When was the last time you saw a Shivvy with plugs at that angle?"

I'm just curious how you did the trim at the base of your hood scoop...

How about "No" to the 340 question? Short, sweet, and to the point.

For the Nova issue. "How could you tell? It's a test mule for a torsion bar suspension they disguised with a Valiant front end."

I just tell them my 340 is a V10 viper engine, not many of them can count the number of plug wires to tell the difference

Lord knows, I'm full of snappy comebacks. But when someone is asking you something like that & they give you the benefit of the doubt that it's not just another 318, but the higher performance motor, they're just curious about you car & looking to engage you in conversation about it because they like it. Take it as a compliment & then tell them what it really is & some more about it. I wouldn't bite their head off over it. I'm sure you have asked just like the rest of us, someone at sometime, what they have in their car & guessed wrong. It just happens.

x2

I second "273".

"Back in the day" anytime someone asked- every small block in our crowd was a 273 and every big block was a 361.

You can't count on the badges on the hood, that would be to easy to just look. I have have judges miss the challenger looking hood with the long eye brows on my 300.

I understand the cordial thing, but after a few hundred times, I don't have any cordiality left. And it has been called a Nova more than once. That is an unforgivable sin!

Was undloading the valiant in the motel parking lot on brice road thursday night and had some local walk by and want to know why I was bringing a chevy to a mopar show. When I looked at him shaking my head he said he thaught it was a chevy since I was towing it with my SUBURBAN.

-
Back