Need an "affordable" family car - recommendations?

-
first choice: toyota camry, probably can't get a good one in your price range.

and second choice: Buick LeSabre. believe it or not my sons 2003 Buick gets better mileage than the wifes 2007 camry. A bonus; all the luxury you could ever want in the Buick.

Now that Buick sounds like a fine choice!

I hate to say this but how about a new Ford F150 with Ecoboost? I have a Friend that has the new Mustang with the ecoboost engine and he is getting better than 30mpg.

Some good ideas - hadn't thought of a Lesabre. Did not realize they got that kind of mileage. A lot of other good ideas as well but the main thing I need to stress is my budget for finding something. I simply don't want to spend any more than I have from the sale of my truck. After going through bankruptcy, I NEVER want another payment on a car or credit card. If I can't save for it and buy it for cash, I don't want it.

Some good ideas - hadn't thought of a Lesabre. Did not realize they got that kind of mileage. A lot of other good ideas as well but the main thing I need to stress is my budget for finding something. I simply don't want to spend any more than I have from the sale of my truck. After going through bankruptcy, I NEVER want another payment on a car or credit card.
If I can't save for it and buy it for cash, I don't want it.

:thumblef:

My wife has a lesabre and loves it. She gets around 28 mpg and is super nice to ride in. Plus, it looks like an old persons car so she doesn't look so bad when she parks over the line. :)

I hate to say this but how about a new Ford F150 with Ecoboost? I have a Friend that has the new Mustang with the ecoboost engine and he is getting better than 30mpg.

I get over 30 MPH with my '07 'stang GT as long as I am not pounding the loud button...but it is hard with the side exhausts and free flow air filter :)

This is really a hard question he posted..we all live in different regions w/different conditions..

..how about a taurus/sable wagon (as long as the trans has ben changed) they are plentiful and parts are easy to get..even at the boneyard..they aren't sexy but they are utilitarian..and are cheep to run or my lawyer BUL wouldn't have owned one :)

Good with whatever you buy..have enjoyed this thread.

ian.

Some good ideas - hadn't thought of a Lesabre. Did not realize they got that kind of mileage. A lot of other good ideas as well but the main thing I need to stress is my budget for finding something. I simply don't want to spend any more than I have from the sale of my truck. After going through bankruptcy, I NEVER want another payment on a car or credit card. If I can't save for it and buy it for cash, I don't want it.

I heard the Buicks were pretty good to, around here the they tend to attract a more 'mature' driver so good deals on a low milage cars are not hard to come by.

I'm with Texas Dart, I had a 2000 crown vic from new till I totaled it a few years back. The only repair I had to do in 120k miles was the wear items of course, tires, belts, etc, was a starter which was replaced by warranty. I easily got 25 mpg was extremely comfortable and felt like you were riding a couch down the road. Also the largest market for them is older retired people who are generally good on their cars and keep them maintained. You wouldn't think a big car like that got 25 mpg but I swear it did. If there's only 4 of you I would consider an Elanta, 'm 6'3 and theres enough room for me and they have a 60,000 mile 5 year bumper to bumper warranty AND have a seperate 100k drivetrain warranty. Ours (2008) gets 35 mpg with the air on and a full load at 80 mph on the interstate. I'm pretty sure no other ,make of car in that class
has a 60k bumper to bumper, they all are 3 yr 36k.

I've had good luck with 2000+ Dodge Intrepids. Plenty roomy. Chrysler 300's might be worth looking at. Maybe a Jeep Grand Cherokee?... I'm staying Mopar. :D

I agree with the Intrepids or any LH platform as long as it doesn't have a 2.7L V-6.

The problem here is Gary is looking at approx. 5K for a used car. All the ideas givin so far have been preety good except (Dumb bickering) the suggetions giving include cars a bit to new to handle the cash he will have on hand.

What can one find for about 5K?

Anyways, I'd avoid selling the truck right now if you can. With gas prices at their highest it might be a hard way to go.

If not, an older Taurus with the 3.0 engine is a good way to go (avoid the 3.8 like the plague). It hard to find a car that seats many without taking a hit on the mileage.

If you can find one in your price range, the 4 cylinder Fusion is "big for its size", and does as well in Consumer Reports as the best of the Japanese stuff. My mother and father in law have one of those and they've had zero issues, gets 30mpg or better. V6 has more power but less mileage.

The 500 (and whatever they called the Mercury version) is awesomely big. Huge trunk, big big back seat (vastly bigger in both areas than a crown vic). These have the good 3.0 motor, but the big car is a tad underpowered with that motor. Also the FWD versions do just as well as the jap stuff for reliability. Buddies at the Ford dealer say they never see them except oil changes and brakes.
And yes, built in America if that really matters.

In (08?) They turned the 500 back into the taurus and put a bigger motor in it, which is what I've got. I love it. Very nice family hauler with loads of room, quiet, drives nice, even fwd does great in the snow. 28-29 on the highway. 20 in town. I'd guess the 500 would do better.

Steve

Honda Accord or Toyota Camry is my opinion. Im sorry but I have seen a bunch of Buicks in the business I'm in and they are rattle traps, plastic nightmare, problematic window regulators, and window switches. Problems awaiting to happen. The dashes also start to buck up around the defrost vents.. We have removed the windshield on three of them, stapled and glued them back down and reinstalled the windshield. The Buick dealership will not even try to fix the dashes.

1994 chrysler new yorker!!
my mom had one when I was a kid growing up. I have two older brothers and my one grandma would come down a lot of weekends so we needed to seat 6.... the front seat arm rests fold up and there is a 6th seat belt. has the old 3.5 and a HUGE trunk. I drove this as my first car for a while till i got my 98 neon r/t. Our 94 has 175k on it and finally needs a lot more attention then we wanna give it. but in white with gray leather interior this is one of the classiest cars you will ever drive. When me and friends were going some where they all wanted me to drive cause it was so roomy. (they did help for gas) but it actually got low 20s. It also has great pick up too so no issues merging into traffic or passing. I would love to have ours running again in a heart beat and drive it when ample space is needed. but now i have my 2.0 dohc neon r/t mid 30 mpgs consistent!! and i only payed $3500 for my neon with 105k and has 156k and very minor issues.

If the new yorker aint her style and yall can fit into a neon they are amazing cars. I like first gens (95-99) better than second gens (00-05) better or if u want her to have fun get an srt-4. fastest car under 20k in 03 :) my brother has one of them and its awesome to drive. all depends on how big ur kids are and what kinda mileage your looking at.

So i suggest 94 new yorker for ample space and good mid 20s mpgs or 95-99 neon for 30+mpgs and less space but still functional.

good luck with the hunt.

if you get the new yorker though you have to go refrigerator white and keep it clean and the wife will drive in class.

1994_chrysler_new_yorker-pic-20378.jpeg

I agree with the LH suggestion. You can get a nice '03 or '04 with a 3.2 or 3.5 for a lot less than $5k. They're plentyful, nice riding, comfortable cars with lots-o-room.

That truck looks real nice, BTW. Shame to sell it, I think you might regret it later.

Chevy Lumina with the 3.1,good mileage,lot's of room,great family vehicle,good prices,super reliabilty.

How about this answer, something with a slant 6...... The new cars suck when you have to fix them, so unless it has a warranty......

How about a Volvo?My friend had a wagon like this,and thing lasted FOREVER,she never had a problem with it,good gas milage,room for the kids and groceries,and it had a turbo to boot,was a quick little wagon.

car_photo_219914_7.jpg

Volvo 240
Subaru Forester
on the cheap: late 80s to mid 90s Lesabre or Cutlass
My sister loves her Cherokee
I have a family of seven so we went with a Honda Pilot

my moms nissan altima is quite roomy and the payments are pretty low for it i think. if you want to buy something outright my favorite for room, comfort and price is a mercury grand marquis, its like driving on a couch though gas milage might not be the best, they last forever and are built tank-like.

We drive subarus because no american car (big 3) can take the millage we pound on without costly repaires...and that has always been a weekness of the big three. If and when the big three can compete on options/reliabily etc. I will go american. This has been the american car companies problem for years..why do they not compete..because people will continue to buy..

We thought we were being smart by selling our last subaru..275+ Kms for 3K..the dealer had it sold before it hit the lot..you wouldn't get that for a taurus wagon..

The gent asked for suggestions ..not american car suggestions..

My vote would go for a used Mercedes Benz.

Any Mercedes with a 6 or V8 between 8 -10 years old would be a good choice.

These well made cars are usually well taken care of by their former owners, offer excellent protection, good handling / ride quality and decent MPG.

We have bought two such cars. A 300E (my son's) and a SL500.

Just my opinion.

-

-
Back